Free cell phone service

Old 06-14-16, 02:10 PM
Free cell phone service

Anybody know anything about Freedom Pop? Supposedly totally free cell phone service. Sounds way too good to be true.

(Rather than post the link as it might be considered a rule violation, use the name as one word followed by dotcom if you don't know what I am asking.)

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-16, 02:20 PM
I suspect there is a catch there somewhere, but I didn't see it. I can't tell if it is just an introductory offer to get their customer base up to some minimum lever where they will start to charge. A common practice.

I'll watch to see what others say.
Bud

Old 06-14-16, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
I use free phone service from Assurance Wireless. This is a federal government service for people within the low income bracket or receiving federal assistance. (I qualify on income.) Smart phones aren't supported. Get only half a bar at home so I just have it to call a tow truck if I break down. (Getting harder to find pay phones here.)

Home phone I use Nettalk (a type of VOIP). The charge is yearly but works out to about three dollars a month.

Old 06-14-16, 07:11 PM
I just checked out their website and was mainly interested in looking at phone plans. Apparently you can bring your own phone but it looks like it must be a smart phone or you have to buy one of the phones they sell. Also from what I saw you pay $19.99 a month which for me is more than what I pay, I pay about $9.63 a month as I always pay for a whole year. I also don't feel like I need a smart phone as I have a tablet and my laptop and desktop which is good enough for me. Those smart phones have too small a screen to be very usable.

Old 06-14-16, 08:50 PM
Thanks, Richard. I saw the part about bringing your own phone or buying one from them. I didn't see anything about a monthly charge for the phone unless it is simply time payments on the phone you buy from them.

My basic plan is $20 a month for 100 "anytime" minutes as well as 200 "off peak" minutes. Peak periods are from 7AM to 7PM. While I do have a VERY rudimentary ability to send/receive text messages I have it disabled because of the high cost, something like 20 (or maybe 40) cents per message. Plus, typing the text is next to impossible with a standard telephone keypad. What irritates me the most is the additional $7 in taxes and fees over and above the actual telephone service.

My sister thinks I am a troglodyte because I don't have a smart phone.

Old 06-14-16, 09:18 PM
Group Moderator
Well Furd if you ever get stuck with a smart phone here's something that might make you and me more comfortable: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oldphone&hl=en

Old 06-14-16, 09:53 PM
If you like what I pay Joel you might want to try Tracfone some people hate Tracfone and some people like them. I am kind of in the middle as I don't care for their customer service all that much, it isn't U.S. based or if it is they hire people who don't speak english very well. Otherwise the phones are not bad and you can bring your own phone.

Old 06-14-16, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator
Or do what I do, throw all the damn cell phones out the window. If it's important, they'll leave me a message. I'm home 95% of the time anyway. Check the caller ID and answer or not.

Old 06-14-16, 11:48 PM
Or do what I do, throw all the damn cell phones out the window.
Vic I wish it was that simple for me I don't drive I don't need to most of what I need is nearby. However the doctors office and a few other things are just too far away to walk there. I consider my cell phone a necessary evil I wish I could do without it but I can't. I don't use my phone very often and can't stand it when I see someone using a blue tooth device and seemingly talking to no one in particular. Most of the time they are just chatting about nothing and if you interrupt them you get a nasty look coming your way.

Old 06-15-16, 03:07 AM
Well Furd if you ever get stuck with a smart phone here's something that might make you and me more comfortable: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oldphone&hl=en
YES YES YES...I want to try this. Reviews say it's junk but I've got to try it. I'm waiting for a smart phone where I slip a quarter into a slot on the side every time make a call.

Old 06-15-16, 03:13 AM
can't stand it when I see someone using a blue tooth device and seemingly talking to no one in particular. Most of the time they are just chatting about nothing and if you interrupt them you get a nasty look coming your way
I'll get this sometimes when I'm manning the cash register at the store. I talk above them announcing the total payment and asking if paying by cash or credit and what their change is. I act as if they are not on the phone. Sometimes they will apologize and I'll say thanks. But most just don't give a damn and neither do I.

Sometimes I'll need to call my wife from work or she might need to call me. I keep telling her to use the store phone, but no she keeps calling my cell. But what bugs me is that she just can't say what is needed and hang up. She needs to give me background info. And I always end up saying I gotta go, I'm waiting on a customers. The funny part is that she was a teacher and I would never call her or try to tie her up on the phone.

Old 06-15-16, 03:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I also detest doing business with those that walk around with a phone in their ear. There is a gas station I no longer go to [despite their low prices] both because they don't have pay at the pump but mainly because the cashier is always on the phone. The only good way to tell he isn't talking to you is when he's speaking in a foreign language.

My basic plan is $20 a month for 100 "anytime" minutes as well as 200 "off peak" minutes.
If it was up to me, I wouldn't have a cellphone but wife and kids think otherwise. I use the phone company endorsed by AARP and pay about $18 a month including taxes. 250 minutes a month, no text [don't know how anyway ]

Old 06-15-16, 03:58 AM
A smart phone does have it's advantages depending on one's needs. I've got cams outside and inside the house. I also have a phone app that can access these cams. I have the ability to scan my home when nobody is there or keep an eye on my sump pit during a heavy rain storm. But the most useful time is during the past 6 months being able to keep an eye on the dog as he is in his last days. If he looks stressed out I can go to him immediately or call a relative to check in on him.

Old 06-15-16, 04:29 AM
Good and bad to every response here. I originally got a cell phone because it was less expensive than a land line and I just didn't make or receive that many calls. After I retired I had to get Internet service and at first I thought a free dial-up would be fine. Unfortunately, the free ISP recognized my prefix as a toll call, (it wasn't but that is a different story) so the free dial -up was out. Going with a paid dial-up along with the landline itself was more expensive than getting high-speed via my cable television service so I dumped the landline after two months.

Once I had the high-speed Internet I got a VoIP telephone for $200 a year. This allowed me to call my friend, Bert, during the winter months when he was in Arizona with no additional costs. Alas, the VoIP was not a solution and that was mainly due to the crappy Internet connection I got from the big C. Then the VoIP company went out of business so I had to find a different company and then I bought my own VoIP adapter that could be used with a number of different companies. I was on a "pay as you go" plan which meant that if I made no calls I had no bill. My monthly charges rarely exceeded a couple of bucks. I still had problems with the crappy Internet connection but that soon changed when Verizon ran fiber optic through my neighborhood. Eventually I got an incoming telephone number and I pay $6.95 a month for that with all incoming calls having no per minute charges. In all, between my (stupid) cell phone and my VoIP phone I pay, on average, less than $35 a month which his the cost of regular landline service by itself.

Even when I was gainfully employed I didn't think of myself as so important that I needed to be in constant communication with the world and because of that I rarely carried my cell phone. I might take my cell phone with me when I go somewhere in the car but if I do I usually leave it in the car rather than carry it on my person. I'm trying to change that habit now because of what happened to my sister about two months ago. Short version is that she had locked her keys in her car but at least had her phone in her purse outside of the car.

I think those people that use the silly blue-tooth are just plain nuts. Both my sister and her son use texting to excess. I can't think of too many things that are more rude then having dinner with some people and constantly checking your phone for messages. What did people do before texting? That doesn't mean I am a technophobe or that I think smart phones are evil. I most assuredly see the point of them for certain people but for the most of us they are simply not necessary.

Old 06-15-16, 04:51 AM
A recent visit to the local grocery store was exceptionally frustrating as at least a dozen people were shopping by proxy. They slowly moved along each isle discussing every choice with someone on the other end, even holding some items up to, I assume, give the other a visual choice. I don't buy very much so like to zip through, but these people were oblivious to everything around them.

As for lowering my current cell costs, I'm following. Use id down and costs are up so something has to change. But I do need text, actually text only would be fine.

Bud

Old 06-15-16, 06:02 AM
I don't mind too much the $20 a month although I could probably drop that price significantly if I had a "pay as you go" account as some months I don't use more than maybe a dozen minutes. On the other hand, occasionally I go over and my contract charges 40 cents a minute.

What really fries my potatoes are the nickel and dime charges. Listed under Surcharges are: The Federal Universal Service Charge of 96 cents. The Regulatory charge of 21 cents. The Administrative charge of $1.23. The city utility tax of $1.43. Then there are the Taxes, Governmental Surcharges and Fees (what were the previous if not tax, government and fees?) These are listed as state 911 fee of 25 cents, county 911 fee of 70 cents, state sales tax of $1.53, county public transit benefit area tax of 21 cents, city sales tax of 35 cents and another county tax for the regional transit authority of 21 cents. These taxes and fees come to $7.08 or a little more than 26% of my total monthly bill. I find that to be an outrageous amount for taxes, and that IS what they are is taxes.

Old 06-15-16, 06:19 AM
Those taxes and fees are what pay for all the "Free" cell phones and service that is given away to the so called needy.

Old 06-15-16, 08:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My contract cost $14.50 a month, with taxes it comes to a little over $18 per month. What confused me at first was how the tax amount would change most months. I finally figured it out - it depends on how many minutes you use. My account provides 250 minutes per month but I don't think I've ever went over 100 and some months I might only use 15-20 minutes. The lower use months have less tax although we are only talking pennies and nickles.