What do you think of this?

Old 06-14-16, 02:54 PM
What do you think of this?

I filled it out and signed it. But I highly resent it. I'm not blaming my work place. They have no choice.

Sorry if the quality is not there. Enlarge to get a better view.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-16, 03:16 PM
What exactly do you mean when you ask, "What do you think of this"? Are you asking if I would self identify with one of the listed groups? Or are you asking if this is a legitimate function of the Federal government?

When I am asked to answer a question of ethnicity I like to check the "other" box or the "prefer not to answer" box when such is provided. I think it was two cycles ago that I received a Census form asking what race I identified with and I checked "other" and added Human. The local busybody Census worker tried for weeks to get me to call him or "properly" fill out the form and I ignored him. Maybe he asked a neighbor and from that he filled in the form, I don't know.

Maybe I'm just naive but I think this insistence on identifying either oneself or others based upon the color of their skin, the texture of their hair, the place where their ancestor's were born or the god they worship is utterly ridiculous. There is only ONE race and that is the human race. I think this preoccupation with ethnicity is as much a cause for hatred against others as anything and the sooner it goes away the sooner we can all live in peace.

Old 06-14-16, 03:30 PM
To be honest I don't know what I expect or what I'm asking? I resent that I'm being forced give this information. But even more incensed that if I refuse, someone else will decide what they think I am. And please note I have no choice such as OTHER or Prefer not to Answer.

If it had been many years ago in other positions that I've held I might have raised hell about it. It's kind of like being ask, "Do you still beat your wife?"

If I were a white person who owned a business and asked my Black, Hispanic or dark skinned employees about their ethnicity I might be called racist. If I were a Black man asking my employer about his or her ethnicity I would be called a trouble maker and possibly be let go on some excuse.

This country has hit rock bottom and I'm afraid it's going go even lower.

Old 06-14-16, 03:55 PM
Norm, I agree with everything that you wrote. I also know the "reason" behind the questions is to somehow "prove" that everyone will be, or is, treated equally, at least by the government.

But government cannot guarantee that someone, sometime, will not be offended by something. Everyone is an individual and being an individual means that we all have individual preferences and that each of us has things they find offensive that others may not find the least bit offensive.

There are lots and lots of things that I find offensive that I simply have to live with. Many of those things I find offensive are actually considered to be attractive by other people.

I think a lot of today's fashions and fads are utterly stupid and would never do them myself. But at the same time I would defend to my death the right of anyone to be as stupid as they like as long as they allow me to state that I think they are stupid. I honestly don't care what people say behind my back, or even to my face because I know I an a good and decent person and my worth is in no way predicated upon what others may think of me.

Unfortunately, that is not good enough these days. Far too many people want to be protected against anyone "being mean" to them and that includes everything from being told they are fat, stupid, lazy, or anything other than perfect. Maybe this is why I have few friends but cherish the ones I do have.

Old 06-14-16, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This got me to thinking. We have a "family" here on the forums. A bunch of professionals who dedicate time to helping others. We "know" each other, but we really don't. Unless you have seen pictures of our group, you really don't know the ethnicity, religious preferences, or any other type of governmental type classification of our peers. To top that off, I don't care. I think that is the way it should be. Not once in the 11 years I have been here have I heard any disparaging words directed at another based on these differences. I take my hat off to all the professionals here who make the wheel turn.

Old 06-14-16, 05:00 PM
My grand dad thought me long ago there is no white, black, brown, yellow people, there's only good and bad people.
I used to work for a big industrial distributor and had to put in bids for machinery being sold to counties, states and the federal gov.
The would lose the bid even though our price was lower, and the machine had more features because our "ratio" of minorties was low.
Despite the fact that not one had ever applied for a job there.
So they hired an African American guy that had never sold anything, gave him no training, never showed him how to use the computer program we used, never gave him any customers.
Poor guy showed up in a suit and tie and was more then willing and able to do anything anyone asked.
All he did was sit in a chair all day.
Then we got the sales.
I'm on a fire dept. that looses grants because we have no "minoritys" despite the fact that in over 30 years not one has ever applied for membership.

Old 06-14-16, 05:53 PM
Thanks guys for understanding. I agree with everything you all have said. When I was growing up my parents used the current terms at the time for different races and nationalities. But never in a negative way. People were called certain discriminating name only because that was what they were called. And that included us. But never were we taught that these people were anything less than what we were or should they be denied anything that we had. You work for what you want. And when an injustice was incurred against a minority, even though we still refereed to them by the colloquial name of the times we sympathized and understood.

Old 06-14-16, 05:58 PM
Joe's grandfather taught him that there are only good & bad people. That maybe true. However, my father taught me, never sign anything. I would have thrown that thing in the garbage!

Old 06-14-16, 06:08 PM
But that is the thing that bugs me. Go ahead and throw it in the garbage. That will only give the establishment the opportunity to label you whatever they want. At the very least I will make my own statement of who I am.

Put yourself in a position of a Latino who may be of light complexion and labeled Black. Or a Black person labeled Hispanic or maybe even White if light skinned enough. Or the Italian of very dark complexion being called Black. Every Black person, Hispanic, Latino or white Caucasian should be proud of their heritage and not be "officially" labeled something they are not.

On a lighter note, every Black person, Polish, Italian, German, Irish and whatever that I know make lots of jokes about themselves and others. All in good fun. And I just love laughing with them.

Old 06-14-16, 06:25 PM
That will only give the establishment the opportunity to label you whatever they want. At the very least I will make my own statement of who I am.
How were they going to label you if they didn't receive a completed questionnaire with your name on it? Maybe you forgot about it. Maybe you lost it. Maybe you spilled your drink on it. They don't know. You made it easy. You labeled yourself, for them.

Old 06-14-16, 06:37 PM
Re-read the form. The yellow high-lighted part. If you don't fill it out, they will. They don't hand it to you and walk away. They wait for you to fill it out and they have an employee check list. Don't fill it or refuse and nothing is said. Your name is checked off and they fill it out.

Edit... I don't know what the employee and business guidelines are. I suspect any business with a minimum number of employees are bound to give this form out. If you're one to ten people business, maybe not. Who knows. But if you work for any sizable company, you will be getting this sooner or later.

Old 06-14-16, 07:30 PM
If you don't fill it out, they will.
Fine, the employers are required to complete the information not the employees. Your employer could have completed & sent the forms & you never would have known the difference but they didn't want to pay their staff. You seem to be annoyed that you completed the form or that it even exists. I don't trust the Feds either.

Old 06-14-16, 08:05 PM
I don't like being labeled either and personally I don't care if a person is white,black,hispanic or asian. Race really means nothing to me I like a person based on what they say not the color of their skin. Also what would be offensive to me is asking what religion I am and for me that is Catholic but I have friends who are muslim,baptist,methodist and any other religion you might want to mention. If a person doesn't harm me or my nation regardless of race or religion then they can be my friend. I personally think forms like that belong in the trash.

Old 06-14-16, 08:33 PM
I consider myself lucky in that I grew up in an ethnically diverse environment. We had Blacks, Asian and Native Americans in the neighborhood. I went to school with these people. In third grade my best friend was of Chinese descent.

We had a neighborhood junk man, Bill. My daddy, older brother and I would take scrap metal and car batteries to him three or four times a year. He would always tell us that he was more than willing to come pick stuff up rather than have us come to him and one time, I think it was when we had cut up a car, we did so. My daddy told me to be sure to get up and dressed early that day and to help Bill load up his truck because, "He's an old man and not as strong as he used to be." I was probably seventeen at the time and it was during the summer so no school.

So I'm sitting around waiting and my mother lets out a small scream. I run into the kitchen to see what the trouble is and she says, "There's a Black man in the yard!" I look out the window and it was Bill, I say to her, "That's Bill, I need to go help him." When we got the truck loaded and Bill had left I went back inside and my mother said, "You never told me he was a Black man." I replied, "I never thought it was important."

I think it was in February of 1974 when I was traveling through the southeast portion of the country. I had left Daytona Beach that morning and it was well into evening when I thought I needed to find a place to spend the night. I started pulling off the freeway every time I saw a Lodging sign but every place was full up. After a few tries I noticed that someone else, in a car just like mine, was doing the same thing. We were going farther and farther from the freeway with every try. Finally, I think it was in North Carolina, we are so far from the main roads the street isn't even paved and then I see the building with a sign illuminated by a single unguarded light on a gooseneck. The sign says 921 Club. I pull up in front and when my "twin" drives up I wave to him and yell, "Let's get a beer!"

I walk into the club and look around. I'm the ONLY white guy in the entire place. Even the other driver was a Mexican national. I walk up to the counter that served as a bar and asked the woman for a couple of beers. She just stared at me with her mouth open. I looked around again and everyone was staring at me. There were a couple of pool tables and the guys playing were frozen in mid-shot, staring at me. I asked the woman at the bar if they served beer and she nodded, still with her mouth open. I again stated I wanted a couple of beers.

Well, at that point everyone relaxed. I learned that my "twin" worked for the Mexican government and was going to DC on some kind of mission concerning electric power generation. I told him I worked in a generating station. We stayed there and conversed with many different people for about 90 minutes or so. It wasn't until days later that I figured it out, Blacks and Whites in that part of the country simply did not mix for pleasure. I thought, how stupid.

The company I spent the majority of my time with, about 26 years, did a lot of work beyond the borders of our country. As such we also had a lot of employees that were born in other countries. I felt quite lucky in working in this mini "united nations" environment. I think the most important think I learned is that we are all humans and we all want to provide for ourselves and our families with as little strife as possible.

Old 06-15-16, 02:48 AM
Furd,

Great stories. _________________________________

Old 06-15-16, 05:08 AM
I don't like being labeled either....
That's a good reason not to be on Twitter & Facebook. It's a different type of label but a label just the same.