Luminous Drop Ceiling

Old 06-17-16, 12:56 PM
Luminous Drop Ceiling

I am debating whether to take down my luminous drop ceiling in my kitchen. Were they just a trend of the late 80s? Will they be back in style?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-16, 01:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you like them? if not, take them down ..... I never did care for the look myself.

Given enough time a lot of styles come back around but not sure if anyone can say what or when

Old 06-17-16, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
Had to Google what that was. Don't think I'd want one in my house.

Old 06-17-16, 04:57 PM
As soon as I see one I wounder what where they trying to cover up, failing old plaster ceiling is the most common reason.

Old 06-17-16, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
It was the thing to do back then to cover up damage. I can't see it coming back in style any time soon. At least I hope not! I think they still use them in basements, but no where else.
When we bought our house, there were drop ceilings in the kitchen and the living room. When we finally took them down, yes there was damage up there, but it was worth the work to fix it and I'm glad we did it. Looks so much nicer without it!

Old 06-18-16, 01:51 AM
I agree I think you should get rid of your luminous drop ceiling they are rather dated. Most kitchen designers would suggest you remove them. Of course they were used at times in other parts of a house but most of the time they were in the kitchen. In all of the renovation shows I have seen if they are present they are quickly removed and can lights are put in their place. You never know the exact condition of your ceiling until you take that down. Sometimes the condition isn't all that bad and it might only need cosmetic repairs. It might make the space feel bigger too if removed.

Old 06-18-16, 02:14 AM
I'm going to fight the trend. I say that if you like your illuminated ceiling then keep it. I would prefer one to the four recessed fixtures I have in my kitchen. I don't understand this slavish devotion to what "designers" say is "in" or "dated" My house was built in 1987 and it SHOULD look like it was built in 1987. Look further back, Victorian houses are RESTORED to look the way they were built. If you want a "modern" house then that is what you should buy or build.

I DESPISE "designers" telling what I should like and what I should dislike. I am quite capable of determining what is right for me without their help. As far as I am concerned "designers" can all go to that hot fiery place.

Old 06-18-16, 02:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO the only time to be concerned whether or not others like the design or if it's currently in style is if the house is expected to be put up for sale shortly - otherwise make the design fit your desires and budget. It bugs me when I hear them talk on those diy shows about something being dated, sometimes I think the dated design looks better than the new!

Thru the years I've worked with quite a few interior decorators, some of which I thought had horrible tastes. When the customer questions the designer's choices I've heard several of the designers state 'well that's how they do it on the west coast' makes me wonder what the decorators on the west coast say My pet name for them is inferior decorators

Old 06-18-16, 05:04 PM
Thanks, Mark! I just knew there had to be someone that a=greed with me.

Old 06-20-16, 08:01 PM
Pictures of ceiling

The house I live in, with the highly debated ceiling, happened to be the Pulte's most popular model in the subdivision. Because there are so many, I am able to see what neighbors have done with theirs. Notice, some have left it. Some just removed fluorescent light, but left the recess (drop), and some flattened everything.
Name:  228 Hilltop.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  23.5 KBName:  502 Belmont.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  33.3 KBName:  209 Hilltop.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  42.7 KBName:  222 Hilltop.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  39.4 KBName:  229 Hilltop.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  30.2 KBName:  232 Hilltop.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  36.2 KBName:  612 Arlington.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  33.7 KBName:  712 Pimlico.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  39.2 KBName:  kitchen 916 saratoga 2.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  35.2 KB

Old 06-20-16, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
I think if you could put a variety of different colored lights in each of those squares, then get them to pulsate rhythmically with the music, you could turn that area into a discotheque. A few lava lamps wouldn't hurt either.

The bottom pic is a phenomenal improvement.

Old 06-20-16, 10:18 PM
I imagine one of the reasons you are asking about this is because your luminous drop ceiling has fluorescent tubes behind the cover. Nothing wrong with that the lighting is decent but those tubes now are changing and soon you will need to either replace those with something else or buy new ballasts and use different fluorescent tubes. If it were me I would do away with that entirely and do what they did in your last picture as I personally like that best and the trend now is to do away with them.

But this is your kitchen and your family has to decide what is best for you. I personally think you will gain room for taller cabinets and the kitchen will just look better. I also spoke of this being the trend but I don't always follow every trend and some retro styles are still the way to go I just personally feel this isn't one of them. I do feel though that if you at least change over to canned lighting that you will get better lighting. I certainly would go with LED lighting too as the bulbs and fixtures last longer.

Old 06-21-16, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator
That last pic is gorgeous! If you're also updating your kitchen, then this is definitely the way to go.
I just had a regular drop ceiling with one frosted tile for the fluorescent light, but just as ugly. IMO, this kind of ceiling only belongs in a workshop.

Old 06-21-16, 07:36 AM
I contacted a neighbor, who is putting her house for sale. They tried to flatten their ceiling, but on the wall above the window there are pipes from the master bath. Would it look a bit dumb to have it look like hers?Name:  739 Pimlico.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  44.1 KB

Old 06-21-16, 04:52 PM
If that is an example of what her house looks like I don't think that looks dumb at all. As for plumbing pipes if that is a concern sometimes plumbing can be re-routed so that it is no longer visible. If you are changing everything including the floors then it gets to be more expensive. If it were my house I would consider changing the lighting first and then budget for everything else as time and money permits.