Where's The Cheese?

Old 06-27-16, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Where's The Cheese?

After 67 years I made my first box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. I followed the directions. I cooked and drained the macaroni, added a quarter cup of milk (skim), three tablespoons of butter, and the sauce packet. It isn't bad but I really doesn't taste the cheese. Should I be able to taste the cheese?

[I'm asking here not the food forum because it really isn't a how-to question. I can think of ways to improve the box mix or could even do it from scratch but just wondering about this product because it is so heavily hyped.]

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-16, 05:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I always up the butter by a tablespoon and use 1/2 and 1/2 for richness. The main target audience is the under 15 crowd who's taste buds are not as refined as yours and mine. Go for the velveeta or the deluxe mac'n cheeses if you want something less resembling cardboard.

Old 06-27-16, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
It's not you. I don't taste the cheese, either. I used to make it on occasion when my son still lived home (he liked if for some reason), but I prefer mine.
Cracker Barrel just came out with their version. I like their cheese, so maybe their's taste more like cheese.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-27-16 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-27-16, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
My nephew is hooked on Mac n Cheese and chicken nuggets. I tried some of his mac n cheese and you're right.... it's not the same as I'm used to having previously.

Old 06-27-16, 06:24 PM
Still get a taste for it as a side dish from time to time.

Make sure you get the "original flavor" not the new stuff. Skip the milk entirely, just 1/2 the butter and the cheese packet. Add the butter first and stir until it melts and coats the pasta, then add the cheese a little at a time while stirring. You can even shake on some grated parmesan for a little extra kick.

I tried the cracker barrel brand...it comes with a cheese sauce, not powder. Prefer the kraft.

Old 06-27-16, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
They changed the recipe a couple years back... it's not as yellow and doesnt taste like cheese anymore, imo. I have to melt some Velveeta w/milk and pour some "real" cheese over it. And by real, I mean processed. LOL

Old 06-27-16, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks all. Thought maybe my taste buds has died.

Old 06-27-16, 06:54 PM
One of the reasons you probably are not tasting the real cheese taste is because of sawdust in the cheese. You read it right according to some reports they add a small amount of saw dust to their dry cheese and according to an article I read it isn't dangerous to eat the saw dust. Only they call it cellulose instead of saw dust and it is in many powdered cheese products. The creamy Velveeta is better as the cheese is in a liquid state. The dry powdered mixes are o.k. in a pinch if you can't find anything else but are inferior to the liquid mac and cheese.

Old 06-27-16, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Yes sir..... please pass me the cellulose saw dust type grated cheese.

I'll keep grinding my own cheese..... thank you very much.

Old 06-27-16, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Get the "home style" version. It is much better! (We still like to add a slice of extra cheese)

Old 06-27-16, 08:06 PM
mmmmm, goes well with the ant parts and spider legs and mouse hairs that are allowed...it's better not to think about it too much

Old 06-27-16, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
I'm thinking I'd be better off just melting shredded cheese into flour gravy and pouring it over cooked macaroni. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 06-28-16, 12:14 AM
I'm thinking I'd be better off just melting shredded cheese into flour gravy and pouring it over cooked macaroni.
That sounds like a great way to make macaroni and cheese I will have to try that sometime.

Old 06-28-16, 03:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I do like you suggested, Ray, but the grandkids like Annie's mac and cheese. It is organic, and it has a pack of gooey melted cheese in the packet, so it isn't like the powdered stuff.

Old 06-28-16, 03:48 AM
Your first mistake was thinking you were making Mac and Cheese. They may call it that but it's not!

Old 06-28-16, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We don't often eat mac and cheese but when we do it's generally a generic brand. It tastes ok but often my wife will add extra cheese and put it in the oven which really tastes good

Old 06-28-16, 04:59 AM
Group Moderator
Our son must be related to Pete's nephew. His standard diet is mac & cheese and fries (Perkins usually) and Wendy's nuggets & fries.

Wifey makes the best homemade. Grates own cheddar. When we're out of that he'll settle for Kraft Easy Mac. Have never tried that, so don't know how cheesy it is.

Old 06-28-16, 07:05 AM
Admin Emeritus

Mac and Cheese is a great base food item. By base I mean you can be creative in the preparation. Add a cup or more of grated sharp cheddar cheese. One time add sliced hot dog. Another time add slices of pre-cooked sausage links. Another time add a teaspoon or more of canned spam. Thin sliced and quartered pepperoni. Copped up bacon helps to improve the flavor and taste also.

Idea is to be creative. Tasted great when camping with kids years ago... Especially when trying to feed 3 hungry at lunch time sons... Seems almost everything tastes better to kids in the woods then at home! Helps fill them up too.

Having to be creative while camp cooking might mean adding the mornings fish catch to the Mac and Cheese for lunch too! Cook fish first then add some to Mac and Cheese or add to scrambled eggs. Same above ingredients can be added to scrambled eggs. Just have to be creative...

A dash of HOT sauce if preferred, if it can still be tolerated. Dash of HOT sauce improves taste too... Same applies to Macaroni and or Potato salad.

For us adults some ice cold BEER to down it all helps plenty.......
Fact is: Ice cold beer right out of ice chest tastes better in the woods too!
Now where is that ice chest???????? Excuse me. Have to go find it!!!!!

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 06-28-16 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-28-16, 08:20 AM
When I was just out of college and my wife was still in nursing school, we went for about a year eating mac and cheese with tuna fish added; 3 or 4 times a week. The mac and cheese went on sale often 5 for a dollar and tuna fish was 3 for a dollar, so we could eat for under a buck.

It was about 30 years before either of us could even look at mac and cheese again, and to this day we've never added tuna to it...

Old 06-28-16, 09:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
About 45 yrs ago I hit hard times and could only afford to eat apple butter sandwiches for 3 weeks. I haven't eaten apple butter since. A few years ago my wife's sister made some and sent us a quart. I figured I'd went long enough and could go back to eating it - wrong! Unscrewing the lid was all I could handle

Old 06-28-16, 09:34 AM
I thought that stuff in a box was for kids. I can't remember the last time I had any. If you want Mac and Cheese that tastes like cheese, make your own. It's not a whole lot more difficult than the pre made stuff and you can use whatever freshly grated real cheese that suits your fancy.

Just google mac and cheese recipes and pick one out of the hundreds of choices.
The recipe I use adds cheese to the top and it gets baked for 20-30 minutes until it just starts to brown.

Old 06-29-16, 05:28 AM
Admin Emeritus

Still interested in reading recipes about Mac and Cheese? Great!

This site has a recipes forum. Read others recipes here or Post your recipes here:
Recipes, Foods and Beverages - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

2 quick search Mac and Cheese recipes here.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/re...-n-cheese.html

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/re...heese-one.html