Would you live in a tiny or alternative house?

Old 06-29-16, 10:51 PM
Would you live in a tiny or alternative house?

I have been watching a great deal of home improvement shows of late off of Netflix mainly because we are selling our rental and it was for ideas. However I watched one show that featured tiny houses and another alternative houses and I must admit living especially in a tiny house is interesting and somewhat interesting in an alternative house.

Most people know what a tiny house is however I will give one link that shows examples of very tiny homes here is that link 50 Impressive Tiny Houses 2016 - Small House Plans . Probably you are also aware of the alternative house idea however I will give one link to what I am talking about here 54 Unique Alternative Homes.

Of the two ways of living a tiny house seems to me to be preferable to living in an alternative house such as a converted church(which for me just wouldn't seem right) or an even worse alternative living in an old cave as you will see if you go to the other pages on the second website.

Not saying I would live in either type of house as in the tiny house example I just have so much junk to get rid of and in the alternative example I can't really see myself living in an old grain silo which I saw on that show I was talking about. I am curious though as to what my friends here think about either alternative.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-16, 03:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tiny home, probably not. Too small. Alternative homes are viable. Many people live in remodeled factories that have divided off floors previously crammed with manufacturing machines into really nice apartments. A church is not the building, but the people, so modifying it not to resemble a place of worship would not be out of the offering, and some have awesome woodwork inside as well as structurally. Our old worship center, which we kept when we built a new one, has beams in the attic of solid oak, measuring 12 x 16 in some places. Other wood is heart pine. The fire inspector said if it ever caught on fire, you could see the smoke from South Carolina.

I helped remodel an old house in Madison County, GA for the Chamber of Commerce to operate out of. Sitting in the attic I noticed all the beams and rafters were hand hewn and pegged. Realizing the building was built in 1793, and George Washington was president, I was in awe.

Old 06-30-16, 03:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In the town where my parents lived there is an old firehouse someone converted into a house.

My wife is intrigued by that tiny house show I can't get over how much some of them spend building those little houses! On the show everyone of them is built on a rolling chassis, I wonder if that is because a lot of what they do wouldn't meet code if it was a shed the same size built as a permanent structure??

Old 06-30-16, 03:41 AM
I agree Larry a church is really the people and not so much the building and I went to two churches that really were in part of a school building before the real church building was built. Either one of those churches when finally decommissioned would make very nice homes but wouldn't still be for me. I think it is a matter of taste more than anything else. I have seen several old school buildings being turned into homes and once saw a grand old post office building changed into a beautiful home. Either the old school building or the old post office would be great homes for me.

I still think tiny though might work for me if it wasn't too tiny and offered a washer and dryer and a dishwasher which would be essential for me. I really believe I have too much stuff as it is and we rarely have house guests so a tinier house wouldn't be so bad for us.

Old 06-30-16, 03:46 AM
I would like a cave or under ground dwelling. But it needs to be big and with all the modern conveniences. I also like those converted missile silos converted to multi level homes.

Old 06-30-16, 03:51 AM
Norm you must have read I believe it was Family Handyman years ago where they talked about an old missile silo and an old hospital people had converted into homes. Both were interesting conversions but of the two I would prefer the old hospital as I wouldn't care for living under ground.

Old 06-30-16, 04:08 AM
Just do an image search on Google "Converted Missile Silos" and you will be amazed and what they look like. And I bet you would be willing to live in one.

Old 06-30-16, 04:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have watched the show about tiny houses. My wife loves all those "house make over" shows. I dont think she would want to live in a tiny house but I think, she too, is amazed by the idea that people do that. Personally, I guess I am more of a traditional guy. I don't need a lot of rooms like 8 bed rooms & 16 bathrooms but, I want BIG rooms. I like a big kitchen, living room, bathrooms, bedrooms (especially the master). I could put a tiny house in my dream bathroom. I'm not saying it needs to be elaborate or even expensive, it just needs to be nice. So just a nice, big, traditional home, with large rooms.

I guess I kinda got off the question of the thread so, no I would not be interested in living in a tiny house nor an alternative house as such. I would come closer to considering an alternative house than a tiny house depending on what the "alternative" house was.

Old 06-30-16, 04:14 AM
Group Moderator
Tiny houses are a fine concept for the southern states, but here in the snow country where temps can easily get down to -20 in the winter I do not see them working very well.

Old 06-30-16, 06:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR1woO7Ppyo

Here's a cool house located in San Diego. The house is round and can rotate as fast as two full rotations in an hour.

The motor is only 1.5 HP

Last edited by Handyone; 06-30-16 at 06:34 AM. Reason: motor
Old 06-30-16, 09:07 AM
Live in an alternative house absolutely. No way would I want to live in one of those mini houses. My wife would have no where to put her shoes.

Personally, I think those mini houses on TV are mostly for TV.

Old 06-30-16, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
I'll echo the consensus - alternative, sure; tiny, nope.

I want running water and a plumbed toilet and shower.

Old 06-30-16, 01:40 PM
Richard, if you are ever in Atlanta you need to go out to eat at the Abby. It is a Cathedral that the church sold. Someone turned it into an elegant restaurant. All the knee stools (whatever they are called) are still in place, the organ still plays, you are greeted and seated by maitre 'd wearing a monk's robe, hood and all. It is a beautiful building as none of the woodwork was touched by the remodel. Creepy in a sense, but great food. Google "The Abby Atlanta" for pictures.

Old 06-30-16, 08:04 PM
It looks like the Abby restaurant was closed Larry and has been converted back into a church. I saw one picture of the Abby when it was a restaurant and it looked like it was tastefully converted into a restaurant. Something like that I certainly wouldn't mind going to if it was a restaurant. I just couldn't see myself living in a former church. Talk about creepy though on that show I was talking about some people were living in a former jail that is also a bed and breakfast now and other people were living in a former insane asylum, way too creepy for me.

Old 07-01-16, 03:51 AM
Aw, I didn't realize it had closed. Bummer. Glad it is being used as a church, though.

I helped renovate a horse barn for a couple some time back. They had 3 young children. Each child had a stall for a bedroom. It was clean, but all the tack and hardware, even the doors were left intact. Not much privacy, but the kids loved it. Of course the little girl's bedroom was painted pink.

Old 07-01-16, 07:33 AM
I am glad it is a church too from what I understand from one review the food wasn't all that good but the atmosphere was great. The house barn reminds me of a segment of that show I watched called You Live in What. At one barn conversion they liked the animals so much that part of their barn house is a barn and part of it is for them to live in. Not too strange really as my cousin lived with her husband in a new barn until their house was built. They only had a cat to live with and not any other animals though. Too bad it burned down though and luckily no one was hurt.

Old 07-05-16, 12:53 AM
I saw a post on Facebook for the ultimate alternative house a ghost town that someone wants to get rid of. It isn't real expensive but really isn't for me either although some of the buildings are not in too bad a shape. Anyway I thought it was interesting just to look at so here is a link to a video about the ghost town Colorado ‘ghost town’ up for sale on Craigslist | FOX31 Denver