New Service Scam

Old 07-02-16, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
New Service Scam

I use Uverse for internet. I was forced into it from dry loop DSL. Nothing really changed except I could no longer use any modem except theirs. A bummer in my opinion but I didn't have a real choice. Service has been the same so no real complaint. Now though they tried a new trick.

I get an email saying the new service I ordered would begin soon. I did not order new service so I got on the phone to try to straighten it out. Never was able to straighten it out or get a reasonable explanation except it was just something that happened from time to to time and my service would remain the same price despite what the bill said. He lied are just didn't know what he was talking about.

Well just checked tonight and what they actually did was increase my speed from 1.6Mbps to 6Mbps and my price per month $10. They did give me a $10 discount for one month so it did look like no change but when I got to digging I found the truth. Good thing I did the digging or I'd have been surprised by a $10 higher charge in August. As it is I found it early enough to change my service back and avoid another fight with someone who barely speaks English.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-02-16 at 10:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-16, 10:33 PM
I hate that when you get someone on the phone who can barely speak English. It sounds like AT&T is getting worse in their service. I remember years ago when AT&T split into several companies and we started having Verizon as our local carrier but we still had AT&T for long distance. I read something though that said that Verizon could handle all of our domestic long distance and I believe it said calls to Canada and Mexico. Well we wanted everything under one roof so to speak so we told AT&T to take a hike. They were very insistent though and even said they could still handle local calls.

We told them no please cancel us we don't do overseas calls and we want to stay with Verizon only. After a while the person on the other end of the line got a bit nasty as I remember so I just told them look I can report you to the federal authorities specifically the FCC do you want me to do that? That shut them up fast and they then cancelled our account very quickly after that. We haven't had any dealings with AT&T since then and we have been quite happy about it.

Old 07-03-16, 02:07 AM
My experience with AT&T Uverse was extremely limited. After living in my present house for about two years and suffering with very poor television reception (via antenna) I decided to order cable service. Since Uverse serviced my area that is who I called. The tech they sent to do the connection worked for some independent cable TV installation company and the first bill I received was from Comcast. The Uverse rep didn't even bother to tell me that that AT&T had sold their holdings in my area to Comcast.

Oh, they also got the service order wrong. It stated a new overhead drop plus inside jack despite the fact that my area has all underground wiring and the inside wiring was already in place (I had told them that when I called). The guy that came out spent maybe fifteen minutes verifying the cable between my house and the pedestal in my front yard, signal strength at the house grounding block, making a label for the pedestal along with removing the lock and actually connecting the cable at the pedestal. Since he had been allowed two hours to complete the all-new service he told me he now had an hour and forty minutes to screw off.

Old 07-03-16, 04:09 AM
Group Moderator
When daughter bought her house last year on the other side of the state she signed up for the AT&T TV & internet. Choices were pretty limited. To say she hasn't been impressed would be an understatement. Just biding her time until end of contract and then will probably move to Dish.

Old 07-03-16, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Just to be clear I have internet only. No TV or phone service involved.