Happy Independence Day

Old 07-04-16, 06:42 AM
Group Moderator
Happy Independence Day

It's more than just the "Fourth of July":

"...........We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Have a happy and safe one.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-16, 07:00 AM
Thank you and a happy 4th back to you.
It always amazes me how a now famous group of people from that era were able to envision and document their thoughts so well that they have lasted over 200 years and will probably be intact for many more. I think we need one of them running for president right now.

Bud

Old 07-04-16, 07:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Odd that someone passed this to me last night concerning the last line of the Declaration by Paul Harvey. It's 8 minutes long, but worth the listen.

https://youtu.be/Zw6sKtXDCZk

Old 07-05-16, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
I suspect, with today's breaking news, most of them are rolling over in their graves.

Old 07-05-16, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
And now a character that seems drawn from the pages of Mad Magazine could become president.

Old 07-05-16, 05:56 PM
Well Ray, that doesn't nail it down much!

Meanwhile, I did not see this post yesterday, but yes, Happy Independence Day, and, as so appropriately noted, it was, is, and hopefully always will be more than the 4th of July.

Old 07-05-16, 08:38 PM
I am a bit late in posting my wish for a Happy Independence day, I was a bit busy yesterday doing things. It seems more appropriate today for me anyway as our city postponed the fireworks until today due to weather and they were more real than what I saw on PBS. I am sure you heard about some of it being taped and some of it being live on PBS. Not the worst thing that has happened in this area but still not right.

Larry thank you for sharing the video it told me something I wasn't certain of and that was actually how rich some of the people were who signed the declaration of independence. The fact too that they sacrificed their wealth tells you something about the character of the people who signed the declaration. Not to be political but doesn't that remind you of someone who is running right now who shall remain nameless to keep politics out of my post. Anyway I hope everyone here had a great holiday!

Old 07-06-16, 01:47 AM
Admin Emeritus

Belated HAPPY 4th to all.

Last line in the Declaration? "And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Read it in it's entirety for yourself, download and or print the entire document here:
Declaration of Independence - Text Transcript

Same can be done with the Constitution here:
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...stitution.html

Bill of rights here:
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...of_rights.html