My dog passed last night

Old 07-09-16, 06:18 PM
My dog passed last night

Last night our dog, Mac (a rather large Boarder Collie), finally gave up the struggle and passed in our home He was nearly 14 years old, well past the expected life span of a medium to large dog. The last seven to eight months has been borrowed time. His endocrine system was failing, his hind quarters were getting stiff, he had several strokes and he had lost that vibrant manner.

However, with lots of advise from our out of town veterinarian daughter and lots of work by my wife, we were able to keep him in a comfortable condition and in mobile state until the last day.

As our daughter advised us seven months ago, we could bring him to a local vet, be charged several thousand dollars and most likely he would've died in a few weeks with typical methods. Instead she prescribed several herbs and natural items along with periodic traditional medication. He was not in any pain.

So as it stands I'm not sad or upset, but actually pleased that he lasted as long as he did. My re-accruing joke during the last several months is that he wanted to die but we just wouldn't let him, as much a he tried.

He had a good life and I don't mind that he's gone. But after nearly 14 years of saying "Hey dog" I do miss him not being there.

Last edited by Norm201; 07-09-16 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-16, 06:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As an owner of a Miniature Schnauzer that is about 7 years old, I dont know that I will be as understanding as you when "Sadies" time comes. I am sincerely sorry to hear that you have lost your friend.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 07-09-16 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-09-16, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the condolences. The strange thing is we don't feel bad for the dog (or cat), they lived their allotted live. It's us that we feel bad about.

My daughter says that when she must euthanize a pet she balls her eyes out along with the clients. I don't think I could go through that more than once. I don't know what she will do when her own dog is ready. They are joined at the hip.

PS... I like the pic of Sadies.

Old 07-09-16, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry for your loss Norm. The passing of a pet is like loosing your best friend. The kind that is always happy to see you, never asks you for anything (other then food or a skirtch behind the ear) and would follow you anywhere.

If you have one, I would love to see a picture of Mac.

Old 07-09-16, 07:23 PM
Tolyn,

Thanks. Never thought about pictures as of recent. But here is one from about a year ago. It shows up sideways. You need to rotate it 90 degrees right.

Boarder Collies are my favorite breed. But they don't belong in a suburban or city environment. That is perhaps my only regret about having a Boarder Collie. But then I did not pick out the dog. My kids thought I needed another one when our first dog passed 15 years ago.

If I were to get another dog, and I won't, I would like a German Shepard. And I would name him Buttercup!

Attached Images  

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 07-09-16 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-09-16, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the picture! I always like to see other peoples pets! Past or present. That goes to you too Dixie!

Old 07-09-16, 07:52 PM
Sorry to hear about Mac. Always hard to lose a faithful companion.

Old 07-09-16, 08:15 PM
I am so sorry for the loss of your pet "Mac" Norm201 and coincidentally if you do get another dog and name him Buttercup that was my last cats name. Me and Buttercup were very close she would snuggle up close to my legs when I would take a nap on the couch and sleep close to my legs at night when I went to bed. One thing that she shared a love of was watermelon and I always though that she was the only cat that liked watermelon but I found out she wasn't. Actually many cats like watermelon but still it was a special thing we shared.

I had watermelon today and thought of her as I ate it. She didn't play much as she had a heart murmur but she was very expressive in what she wanted. I have pictures of her in one of my older digital cameras and I might share a picture of her sometime if I can find the camera.

Old 07-09-16, 08:19 PM
I feel your loss, have had one put down and that turned me into a blubbering fool. Have 3 now, oldest is 17. When you talk about those extra months I can bet you piled on the love. Our old girl is still getting around, although this last winter was tough, mini-dachshunds don't do well in the cold. When needed I would carry her out and back in. She really enjoys the back scratching so when she comes over by my chair she gets as much of that as she wants.

As for not getting another one, I don't think I want to finish my life without the love of a best friend. The wife does pretty good but has never been as forgiving.

Get one of your pictures enlarged and frames as her memories will warm your heart just as she did.

Bud

Old 07-10-16, 04:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As rough and tough as I am, I cannot go back when I have a dog put down. I cannot stand it. Pictures help. This is Molly. She is a 4 year old and if I can keep her from eating bees that sting her inside her mouth and getting bitten by Copperheads, she will live a really good life. She is a challenge.

Name:  Molly crossed.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  49.4 KB

Old 07-10-16, 06:14 AM
Thanks to all who replied. I like the little anecdotes about your pets.

Old 07-10-16, 07:51 AM
Larry, Molly apparently has a sister. Meet Golda: Name:  Golda1.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  18.8 KB

We got Golda as a used dog, so are not sure how old she is, but guess about 4-5 as well. She always crosses her paws when she lays down.....

Old 07-10-16, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Sorry to hear about your dog. Been there lots of times. Takes me a long, long time to get over it. I still miss them all, no matter how many years go by.

Here's my current little one (in his bed with a pillow, lol):

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  45.5 KB

Old 07-10-16, 09:08 AM
Sorry for your loss Norm. The passing of a pet is like losing your best friend. The kind that is always happy to see you, never asks you for anything (other then food or a skirtch behind the ear) and would follow you anywhere.
x2 Can't say it any better than that.

After having my last dog 12 years I couldn't wait to get another, lonesome I guess. Luckily my ex found an almost twin at a shelter...

Riles 2.0...

Old 07-10-16, 09:36 AM
Sorry about his toys laying all over....

https://youtu.be/_CAfwXNepfg

Old 07-10-16, 12:36 PM
Sorry about his toys laying all over....
We have (had) a separate toy box just for the dog, one for the grand kids. Funny each one knew not to take from the other.