Dragged Into The 21st Century

Old 07-29-16, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Dragged Into The 21st Century

It seems like now when you call someone for an estimate they want you to text them your address. Well heck now we have a problem. I don't have a smart phone. The one I have will text though not 100% sure texting is included with my plan. Not exactly sure how but I think I could if I could just type the number "1". I understand each key types multiple letters depending on how many times pushed but darn if I can figure out how to type numbers.

Well at least I figured out how to send text as Email ... I think. Fingers crossed.

Name:  267013-kyocera-jax-s1300-for-assurance-wireless.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  17.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-16, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
I was extremely resistant to getting a smart phone. Business wise the smart phone has been a help. It's a amazingly small computer that does a lot but it is only a so-so phone. The ability to send and receive texts is a great asset. I just wish smart phone manufacturers spent more time making it a good phone.

Old 07-29-16, 05:53 PM
I'm pretty good with a keyboard and a computer but the damn phones confuse me.

Old 07-29-16, 06:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On my phones I have to keep pushing the number I want until the number will show up.

Old 07-29-16, 06:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When I subcontract to work commercial jobs, the people I work for are in Atlanta and need to send me drawing changes, etc for immediate use, so I don't have to wait until the morning to be told by the project manager there were changes and we have to go back and make the adjustments. Really handy to have a smart phone.

Old 07-29-16, 06:41 PM
Recently within the month I was walking home and talked to a local landscaper and he wanted me to text him my phone and address. I can text but my phone is a flip phone and like you Ray it is hard to navigate. Tracfone recently upgraded their service and I could have requested an upgrade to a smart phone for free but I really don't need it. I only use the internet at home and really wouldn't want to be bothered with the internet while out of the house. I guess that makes me old fashioned but that is o.k..

Old 07-29-16, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
My phone service is free but does not support smart phone. I get only half a bar at the house and only use it to call a wrecker when I break down. Really just can't see paying for a phone service that with luck I won't use.

Old 07-29-16, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
And the day just gets better. I received an Email from the Social Security Web site saying that beginning in August to access the site you will after entering your name and password have to wait for them to text you a code that you will also have to enter. Wonder how many old people that is going to screw over.

Old 07-29-16, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
They should be able to mail it to you too.

I just wish smart phone manufacturers spent more time making it a good phone.
I agree with that statement 100%. That's why I still carry a Motorola flip phone. The phone is excellent and it has texting.

You can go into the menu and set up the texting parameters. One way like Mark mentioned is every time you hit a key it advances to the next character. Another method is called intuitive texting. You just enter the text directly and it comes up with the words. Works pretty good. Some words are the same numbers like he and if as well as on and no. Mine allows you to use the arrow up and down to select from different words.

Old 07-30-16, 03:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is another Mark on here?

I just have a cheap flip phone, it works for what I use one for. My plan charges extra for texting so I don't .... not any good at it anyway. My wife texts but is slow at it. My youngest son's girlfriend has told my son several different times that my wife must be mad at her because she takes so long to text back If you are going to carry on a conversation via texting - why not talk???

Old 07-30-16, 03:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My kids quit trying to text me, They know I never look at the text.

Old 07-30-16, 03:29 AM
They should be able to mail it to you too.
The notice says if you don't have texting service, you won't be able to use the site at all.

From the email: "If you do not have a text-enabled cell phone or you do not wish to provide your cell phone number, you will not be able to access your my Social Security account. "

I'd rather have texts. That way I am not bothered in real time with talking on the phone, which I hate. Answer when I feel like it, or when the occasion presents itself.

Old 07-30-16, 04:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another case of the 25 to 40 year olds trying to tell us how to run are lives. They live with text and can't think that everybody doesn't.

Old 07-30-16, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Also a case of the government not being in touch with the people they serve.

Old 07-30-16, 06:19 AM
While working at the local college, I noted the kids at class change. Outside the door, head down, phone on and texting. It is a miracle they didn't get hit by traffic I just prefer text to voice for convenience. Definitely not a "head downer".

Old 07-30-16, 07:05 AM
Group Moderator
I've had the guy out a couple of times to trim trees for me but now he can't understand my address when I give it to him on the phone and have tried two different ways to text from PC. Guess I'm going to have to get the little girl next door to ask her father to call and tell him the address.

Old 07-30-16, 07:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure its always the case, but I think some people just want you to text them the address;
1) so they always have it handy
2) when you send it to them, it is received as a link to their Google maps. They just click on the address you sent & it brings up Google maps with directions to your house/address.
3) some street names are spelled differently, as in Green St or Greene St. In my case, we have a Shady Lane & I live on Shady Ln. One is on the south side of town & I live on the north side. So sometimes its just for clarity.
4) some people just don't speak well, people of different cultures, ethnicity's, good 'ol boy redneck country slang & the new culture valley girl accent, etc... Sometimes its just hard to understand people on the phone.

I don't care to text conversations, but I don't mind a quick brief one time comment or reply & done. So, I understand everyone's aggravation, but I thought I'd just bring up some points why some people insist or ask for you to text the address.

Old 07-30-16, 10:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think Dixie summed it up well, keep it brief. I have an iPhone but don't want to text like a teenager. All I need is a phone call of why I need to go somewhere, followed up by a text of where to go.
The phone is also useful to send a picture to someone if there's a problem on a job that needs addressed.