Ellicott City Flood on July 30th

Old 08-03-16, 12:05 AM
Ellicott City Flood on July 30th

Not sure if you guys saw the really bad flooding that happened in Ellicott City Maryland. Those of you who live in Maryland I am sure you saw it but maybe no one else did. Here is a link to the story from our Fox affiliate VIDEO: People hang onto car while being swept away in Ellicott City flooding - Story | WTTG.

For those who don't know about Ellicott City is is a quaint old town located in Howard County Maryland that is unincorporated in the county which was established in 1772. More can be read about Ellicott City on Wikipedia here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellicott_City,_Maryland .

For as long as I have known about Ellicott City it has always been prone to flooding from the Patapsco River and Tiber Creek. Hopefully our new governor can get things changed in Ellicott City so that no further flooding happens. I haven't been to Ellicott City in years but they have many nice gift shops and antique shops many of which were severely damaged.

Also a few years back not sure exactly but Ellicott City had a very sever fire and quite a few shops were severely damaged. So the poor old city has been through the mill.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-16, 04:21 AM
So the poor old city has been through the mill.
Ahh, I see what you did there!

(For those that don't, Ellicott City was also formerly a milling town...)

But yes, quite a mess out there along Main Street now. It's been a few years since I was last out there but it was a nice area for shopping and nightlife. Hopefully they'll get back to "business as usual" quickly.

Old 08-03-16, 04:55 PM
(For those that don't, Ellicott City was also formerly a milling town...)
You are right fshannon3 actually I wasn't thinking about that when I posted this as it was late. I even looked over the Wikipedia article which does mention that. I never went there for the night life and gatherings but with my family years ago on Sunday evenings as it is fairly close by College Park via the park way or I-95 if memory serves me right. Also a great deal less industrial than Columbia and certainly not modern by any means. I was kind of surprised so many cars were parked on main street as it is always hard to find a parking spot on main street.

When I was ushering at a church in nearby unincorporated Beltsville I once met a fellow ushers son. The father who was the usher has since passed away so I can't check up on his son, he lives somewhere in Ellicott City although where I never did find out. A real shame as the latest is that at least two buildings are near collapse and they possibly could take other buildings with them. Some people were able to get some belongings and others were told no I am sorry you can't do that some buildings are unstable.

Old 08-07-16, 11:44 AM
I took a drive down main street in Google Earth, nice looking place. I really should get out more.

Hopefully our new governor can get things changed in Ellicott City so that no further flooding happens.
Good luck with that. All the side streets go downhill to main which is also downhill. So, you get lots of rain it has to go someplace and that is main street....just like a funnel.

Old 08-07-16, 10:44 PM
I tend to agree with you Baldwin Ellicott City is in bad shape and maybe nothing can be done. If it can be done though I am sure Governor Hogan can get it done as he has already moved through with important road repairs that have taken other governors a long time to get to. Trouble is this will probably require the Army Corp of Engineers and that means the federal government getting involved and it usually is a slow process getting funding etc. One bit of good news is that they managed to stabilize a building they were going to tear down.

Also more volunteers and business owners were allowed into the flood zone and they have started removing mud and taking inventory of some of what they still have. Some people unfortunately were not insured with flood insurance so their businesses may not survive unless the governor can get them loans along with some federal disaster relief. It just depends on the mood in Washington again too.