MOEN: What customer service really is!

Old 08-14-16, 10:20 AM
MOEN: What customer service really is!

I just replaced the diverter on my MOEN Kitchen faucet with sprayer. Can provide exact model & more details if there is interest, but I just wanted to comment on the Customer Service I received from MOEN!

When I called it was obvious the support person enjoyed helping people/customers. Very pleasant demeanor & straight to discovering my issue and providing solution. They obviously knew their products, immediately asked very pertinent discovery questions, and communicated at my level of understanding. When I mentioned I had replaced the cartridge already they went straight to sending me the diverter. Arrived in less than the 5-10 days as told.

The instructions I received were very good, and when a couple of steps did not go as easily as the diagrams, I patiently thought through things and was able to execute perfectly. I was very pleased at whole process.

When I got the diverter out, it was fully clogged with white bits that looked like little Styrofoam chunks, but obviously a mineral build-up. Worked perfect after replacement. 110% satisfied & full credit to MOEN Customer Support!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-16, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Since you were making a statement and not needing a question answered I moved your thread to the general chat forums.

There are still companies out there where customer service is their primary concern.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 08-14-16, 10:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Glad you had such a good experience. I had similar with Price Pfister. I make note of names and times and often will respond to the company with accolades regarding the help I received. May do nothing, but I feel better for it.

Old 08-14-16, 01:53 PM
I am not surprised that you received good service from Moen Delta faucet owns Moen. A few years ago now I wanted to make sure that I received a valve that was just for showers and not a tub too. The dealer though for some reason didn't have the exact model number so they said call Delta and ask them. So I did and the fellow at Delta was very helpful in making sure I had the exact model number that I needed. I then called the dealer back and I gave them the model number and I received the exact valve that I needed.

Old 08-14-16, 07:25 PM
I am not surprised that you received good service from Moen Delta faucet owns Moen
Hedge, I think you have that wrong. Delta owns and makes the Peerless brand. I did an extensive search and no place can I see that Delta bought or has any financial interest in Moen. As far I know Moen is still their own company and manufacture.

And according to our supplier for our store Peerless would be considered a slight step below than Delta, and Moen is a head to head and independent of Delta. I always tell the customer to buy the best they can afford and include the following brands as possibilities, Moen, Delta, P-F, and Am Std as the most popular known brands. There are others like Hans-Grohe, but hey tend to be a bit more exclusive.

If I'm wrong please give me your source since I use this info when talking to customers.

Old 08-14-16, 08:11 PM
You could be right norm201 I did go to their website that mentions their brands and Peerless was among one of the brands. Yet when I went to Answers.com someone said that Delta owned Moen. Here is the link and the short answer that was given at the top of the page Who owns moen . I remembered my plumber saying that Moen was owned by Delta and he is at plumbing supply houses almost every day. Could be that Delta didn't update their page or that a company they merged with actually bought Moen.

Ownership came up when I asked my plumber about the Moen brand and he said that Moen wasn't as good as Delta at the time and that Delta had recently bought Moen. It could be that they had owned them too and then they were spun off which happens. When I first heard about Moen being owned by Delta it was years ago. I always have bought Delta as my plumber likes them although maybe not as much now as they have more plastic parts which he doesn't like.

Old 08-14-16, 08:30 PM
I did a Google search and found no mention of Delta. However I did find this.

Buy it for life. Moen is a product line of faucets and other fixtures started by inventor Alfred M. Moen that is now part of the Fortune Brands Home & Security company. The Moen subsidiary is headquartered in North Olmsted, Ohio. Moen was originally part of Ravenna Metal Products of Seattle, Washington.

Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc. (FBHS) is an American manufacturer of home fixtures and hardware, headquartered in Deerfield, Illinois. The company's product lines include Master Lock, Sentry Safe, MasterBrand Cabinets, Moen faucets, Therma-Tru entry door systems, and Waterloo tool storage products.[

Delta Faucet Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Masco Corporation, one of the world's leading manufacturers of home improvement and building products, as well as a leading provider of services that include the installation of insulation and other building products.

List of MASCO brand products
[h=4]Arrow Fastener Company[/h] [h=4]Behr Process Corporation[/h] [h=4]BrassCraft Manufacturing[/h] [h=4]Brasstech[/h] [h=4]Bristan Group[/h] [h=4]Delta Faucet Company (who in turns makes Peerless)[/h] [h=4]Hansgrohe SE[/h] [h=4]Hüppe GmbH[/h] [h=4]Liberty Hardware Manufacturing[/h] [h=4]Masco Cabinetry[/h] [h=4]Masco Canada[/h] [h=4]Masco UK Window Group[/h] [h=4]Masterchem Industries[/h] [h=4]Milgard Windows & Doors[/h] [h=4]Mirolin Industries[/h] [h=4]Moores Furniture Group[/h] [h=4]Vapor Technologies[/h] [h=4]Watkins Wellness[/h]
Somehow I think we went through this once before.

Old 08-14-16, 08:38 PM
Here's an interesting site:
Tool Brands: Who Owns What? A Guide to Corporate Affiliations

It shows various tool brands and who owns the name and manufacturing.

Old 08-14-16, 08:50 PM
I used Bing search as I can get Amazon.com gift certificates that way. So I guess it depends on the search engine you use the most. I saw a mention of the Masco company owning Delta faucet and I do remember a time when Delta was off to itself which might explain some of the quality changes. Delta isn't a bad brand though but it would be better if they used less plastic in my opinion and the opinion of my plumber friend. It is hard to keep track of mergers though companies merge and spin off all of the time.

Old 08-14-16, 11:45 PM
It is hard to keep track of mergers though companies merge and spin off all of the time.
And THAT, my friends, is the REAL problem.

As far as I know Moen was the originator of the single handle faucet and for many decades the undisputed leader in that category. My experience with Delta started in the early 1970s and ended with the Delta faucets in my present house, built in 1987. During those years the Delta single-handle faucet was most definitely inferior to the Moen. I have never installed anything but Moen in the last 30 years so it is definitely possible that Delta has made great improvements in their products.

Back in the mid 1980s I asked a co-worker, whose family had owned a large plumbing and heating company in central Iowa, what he considered the premium faucet and he stated that the best was Chicago Brass. I asked if they made a single-handle model and he said no, the best single handle was Moen but overall he rated Moen about 5-7. He rated Delta about 3-5 and he said the Peerless was a total piece of junk, not worthy of even a 1. Trying to find the Chicago Brass brand has been futile for me, I think they went out of business.

But getting back to the game of buying and selling company names... It seems that a small company can work hard at establishing itself and standing behind its products and services but when the original owner moves on the new owner uses the good name of the founder to exploit the business. Sometimes a family-owned business may make its name famous over the course of several generations of the family and then almost overnight go to pot. I remember when I was in my teens we took our old black & white television to be serviced at a named store and the owner himself told us it was not worth fixing. I mentioned that maybe it was time we investigated color televisions and Mr. M. took my daddy by the hand and led us to the TV department, explaining the different models and their attributes. We ended up buying a new TV that day.

Several years later we went back to the same store. It was still named M...Bros. Appliances, Radios and Televisions and when the salesman started giving my daddy the run-around my daddy asked to speak to Mr. M. The reply was that Mr. M. had sold the store and no longer had anything to do with it. We walked out at that point.

I have mentioned many times the "old-time REAL hardware store" where I often go. Again, it is a family-owned store that has been around for about 90 years. Here is their story: https://www.mclendons.com/about-us/mclendon-heritage (I hope that isn't considered advertising.) Unfortunately, even this store has gone downhill in recent years. I wonder if it is now being run by an MBA holder. Gone is a huge amount of the rare, but often so necessary small items that brought people in from miles and miles away. Gone also are the "Made in America" pipe fittings that one could always rely upon. They still have the most knowledgeable staff you will find in ANY retail establishment and while the prices at the big box mega-mart homecenters may be a bit lower, the knowledge of the staff at McL. is priceless.

Yet another family business I used to patronize was a propane distributor. I got to the point where I was pretty friendly with the manager, the son of the owner, but then his father sold the business to a larger company, I think to ensure his pension as much as anything. They eventually moved a good thirty miles farther out and that ended my relationship. There have been others as well but these days it seems the small family-owned businesses are very few and very far between. The saddest part is it is the customer that really suffers yet in the long run is actually also to blame when they accept the poor foreign-made crap sold by the big conglomerate for a few pennies less.

Old 08-15-16, 07:13 AM
Further FOOD for thought

It is hard to keep track of mergers though companies merge and spin off all of the time.
Have you seen how few corporations control our food?

I find this very disturbing.

Old 08-15-16, 07:19 AM
Scary, isn't it?___________________________________________

Old 08-15-16, 08:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've been installing new kitchen faucets for 16 years. Mostly Delta, Moen and Kohler.

I see Delta and Moen as pretty equal in quality and both have excellent customer service.
I prefer the Delta, which most models use integrated PEX supply lines.

Whichever brand you like, get the best faucet you can afford. The brushed nickel and stainless steel are more expensive but worth it IMO.