Can't find correct fire extinguisher wall mount

Old 08-16-16, 11:18 AM
Can't find correct fire extinguisher wall mount

Iam not getting the point here. I bought a holder for the above. Get the home and the strap in the kits is always to short whats going on"? i
m losing my kool thanks for anything positive bob s.

Mine measures 15" tall- top to bottom ....and 4-1/4"around in diameter.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-16, 11:28 AM
Give us a brand and model number. Maybe even a pic. I know what you mean. Sometimes the simple things just won't work.

Old 08-16-16, 12:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking but, if your asking about the correct size bracket (holder) for your specific fire extinguisher, then as Norm posted, we need to know what extinguisher you have.

Every fire extinguisher manufacturer designs their fire extinguishers in different sizes.

However, some company used to make a generic bracket.
Here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Brac...375750&sr=1-44

Old 08-16-16, 04:43 PM
Here we go!!

Got pictures right quick; Buckeye equipment 4-1/4" in dia ------15"tall. Does not say how many pounds it is. bob s and thank you fellows

Attached Images   

Last edited by bsa_bob2; 08-16-16 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Bob... you need a basic wall hook.

Name:  bracket.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  24.7 KB

Old 08-16-16, 07:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
15" high & 4 1/2" in diameter.... I'm betting its a 10 lb fire extinguisher. And for the record, its an ABC dry chemical (powder).

Check pages 32 & 33 on their catalog here:
http://www.buckeyefire.com/wp-conten...alog-Rev-B.pdf

Now, chances are, they wont sell it to you. You'll have to find out who the local dealer is to you & get it from them. Most fire extinguisher manufacturers & wholesalers wont sell products to the public. Kinda like a car dealership..... You gotta buy it from the authorized dealer.

Old 08-17-16, 08:39 AM
thank you i'll give it a try bob s

Old 08-17-16, 08:43 AM
yes i do .but!! i want it secured -so it doesn't jump of this hook when its bumped at all . So what kind of strap or where can i purchase a JUST a longer strap? With this hook and a longer plastic safety strap i'd be good to go,thanks bob s

Old 08-17-16, 08:55 AM
Use zip tie to solve your problem.

Old 08-17-16, 11:16 AM
will get a few bigger zips a and see what happens.Can build the hook in about 30 minutes. SO THANKS ALL YOU guys that volunterd your help/ i am grateful cheers bob s

Old 08-20-16, 06:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'll add this in the event that you come back & see it...... and its only a side note for reference.

If you are using this fire extinguisher in a situation where its required (like for insurance or if required by the state fire marshals office etc), you can't use zip ties (generally speaking).

Just FYI, I used to own a fire protection equipment sales & service business. The maximum amount of pressure to break a seal to have access to a fire extinguisher is 14 Lb pull/breaking point.

In layman's terms:
A fire extinguisher has to be "readily accessible". You cant put a pad lock on it etc for example. From that rule comes a clarification or extension of that rule that states what the maximum force is allowed to make the extinguisher "readily available". That number is 14 lbs of pull as the maximum amount allowed to gain access to that extinguisher. Any means of securing that requires more than 14 lb pull to gain access is not allowed.

Therefore, again, if its a required fire extinguisher, legally, you cant use a zip tie unless requires less than 14 lb pull to break..... and personally, I don't know of any zip tie that will break with less than 14 lb.
Additionally, I don't know of any seal that is that big (10+ inches long) that is specifically made for fire extinguisher use. The only ties I know of, specifically for fire extinguishers, are only about 6" long & are made for the "pin" to pull to operate the handle. However, you can take two of those, put them together & make one long one. Those are usually 10 - 14 lb pull ties & will make it legal. Ties are cheap... surely any service will give you a couple of ties.

Just FYI... hope this helps

Old 08-20-16, 07:17 PM
My suggestion to use zip ties was not to anchor down the unit but to merely hold it in place. There should be no need to break a zip tie if properly used to hold a fire extinguisher. It should just slip out of the zip tie loop.

Old 08-21-16, 03:58 PM
You helped me on this- i never thought of 2 issue standard ties to hook together . will get a couple soon as i find A fire extingisher store near tecumseh mich. bob s thanks much

Old 08-21-16, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There should be no need to break a zip tie if properly used to hold a fire extinguisher. It should just slip out of the zip tie loop.
Slipping an extinguisher out of a loop is not something someone would think of in an emergency.
Dixie went over safety. In a fire, you want to grab a hose or extinguisher as easily as possible and not have to figure out how to release it.
I was U.S. Navy, Learn not to burn.

Old 08-21-16, 06:19 PM
Brian,
I wouldn't begin to out smart you concerning a ship and fire safety but, lets not over think this. I have several extinguishers and several of them have different holders (all from the factory and UL approved). Some must be lifted out, some must be unclipped and others just pull it out of the holder. If one can't figure out how to lift an extinguisher out of a zip tie holder then I don't think they would be much use in an emergency. My zip idea is is only to prevent the unit from falling off the wall.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  12.0 KB