571 reasons why IP cameras may not be a good thing.

Old 08-17-16, 11:50 AM
571 reasons why IP cameras may not be a good thing.

News article giving 571 reasons why IP security cameras may not be a good thing.

Texas mom finds live feed of daughters' bedroom on live-stream app | KOMO

Are you SURE your passwords are unbreakable?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-16, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Security experts told Jennifer that hackers found the family's IP address off her daughter's iPad, then found their computer system and eventually their modem and DVR system, which is linked to cameras throughout the house.

#1 - I can't understand cameras in people's bedrooms on an NVR. (network video recorder)
#2 - Very clearly in the setup instructions... You must change the factory supplied default password.

I've run into these types of problems already.
I will not install any cameras in peoples bedrooms for just this reason.
As an installer I have to be careful as I have access to many customers NVR's.

Old 08-17-16, 07:50 PM
Good points, Pete. I only posted it because of the dangers involved. I suspect that the password was NOT changed from default or if it was it was something very easy to hack.

Old 08-17-16, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Thank you for posting that. It is certainly a word to the wise.

Old 08-17-16, 07:56 PM
I see IP cameras as a double edged sword they can be good or they can be very bad. I think I first saw this on Facebook and I warned my niece not to use these cameras. Thankfully she doesn't use an IP camera and not the brand that was mentioned at the time.

They can be good to use in a bedroom though especially if you have an elderly parent and you are suspicious about their caretaker. I remember reading about a single woman who wanted to take care of her mom at home but couldn't be home all of the time. She had a funny feeling about her moms caretaker though and thought she could be abusive so she set up an IP camera. Unfortunately her fears were warranted and her mom had been beaten a few times and now she had evidence that was being recorded.

I agree though I really don't think they are usually something you want in a bedroom except in certain situations. We don't have any IP cameras set up and I really don't like having a camera on my laptop. I do occasionally use my laptops camera though for surveys where they want to see your facial expressions while watching a video. If I could though I would rather not even have that hooked up as they can be hacked too.

Old 08-17-16, 08:13 PM
Black plastic (electrical) tape over the lens of the laptop's camera lens works well. Although not a problem I have since my laptop is so old.

And I agree with you, Richard, that there ARE some instances where having a video camera in a bedroom makes sense. I have a wired camera looking over my driveway and I may add a couple more looking over other areas of my yard but if I ever made them view-able over the Internet I would be certain to use a strong password and NOT "save" the password in any device.

Old 08-17-16, 08:54 PM
Believe it or not Joel I still have some very ancient laptops with no camera. I still have older laptops, the one I am using right now is used and had no hard drive as it was sold by a charity online. It was Windows 7 compatible though and I really wanted something that would run on Windows 7. I never buy new laptops though they are just too expensive and I can get everything I need used. Now the laptop has Windows 10 on it and has had it for some time now, I guess about a year now. I might think about that electrical tape though Joel .

Old 08-17-16, 09:03 PM
I have several cams. Never in a bedroom. Entrance ways, garage and outside. Very strong passwords. I also keep tape over my computer lenses.

I think more cams on outside peoples houses and known to be there makes for a safer neighborhood and is deterrent to crime. In other words this neighborhood is under watch at all times.

Search this Thread