Acts of kindness, the original pay-it-forward.

Old 09-09-16, 02:07 PM
Acts of kindness, the original pay-it-forward.

When you are the recipient of an act of kindness it can follow you forever.

1956 our family was towing our 48' trailer from Kansas to Maine. Suddenly dad pulled over, in NH or southern Maine. Gen light had come on and when he went under the hood he discovered a broken fan belt. Friday evening there would be no nearby auto stores but where we had stopped was in front of a roadside hotdog stand. Dad went over to apologize for blocking the front of their business and said he would try to back it out of the way. They said no need they were about to close for the night.

Learning what the problem was their kindness kicked into full gear. While the husband drove dad into town to find a new belt the wife fed mom, my brother, and myself along with our two dogs and wouldn't accept a dime. When they returned with the new belt the husband climbed under the hood with dad to help get it fixed.

I was pretty young at the time and don't recall all of the conversation, but when we were finally back on the road the atmosphere inside our old station wagon was as if we had just been to an amusement park. Their kindness had turned a potential disaster into a wonderful few hours that I have never forgotten. And that type of kindness has been part of my life as I have since paid-it-forward hundreds of times since.

What acts of kindness have you been the recipient or source of in your life?

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-16, 03:42 PM
Love these kinds of stories. You must have seen my post just ahead of yours.

Old 09-09-16, 04:48 PM
No, I didn't see that post or I probably would have put mine there. That is a nice story: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ge...ce-storey.html

My post was triggered by the article about a perfect stranger helping a mom with her upset toddler on a long flight. Pregnant Mom Can't Get Son To Stop Crying. What Stranger Does Next Leaves Her STUNNED - So Share This!

We are so buried by the media needing to print everything terrible they can find that we don't get to see all of the wonderful moments happening all around us.

Bud

Old 09-09-16, 05:07 PM
I'm traveling the interstate south to Portland, about 130 miles away, and see an older pickup truck with the hood open and steam rolling out. As I slow and go past I see it is an elderly couple so I stop. It is obviously a broken radiator hose which isn't going to get fixed right away so I ask where they are headed. The husband explains they need to get to the hospital in Portland as his wife is scheduled for surgery. I didn't ask but his expression made it look serious. I said give me a minute and I'll make room for you and I'll take you right there and his grimace turned to a faint smile. They had a couple of bags as he was going to stay at a local hotel. They left a note on the dash and I loaded them up.

I took them directly to the hospital and gave them my contact number in case they needed more assistance. I refused their money and said I was just glad to be able to help and wished them the best.

I'm sure they have probably passed by now, that was 25+ years ago, but I would bet they always remembered the kindness. I know I'll always remember the opportunity to pass-it-along.

Bud

Old 09-09-16, 07:34 PM
I was once accused of bragging and boosting about doing acts of kindness or just being courteous. I shot back that maybe that was true, but it made me feel good and why not? Being helpful goes both ways.

Old 09-09-16, 10:55 PM
Once when I was a young boy about 10 years old there was an elderly couple that lived across the street. I shall call them the Smith family however that is not their real name. Mr. Smith had been a mechanic like my dad and Mrs. Smith was a house wife and took care of her children when they were younger. By the time I was 10 most of their children were now adults or almost adults so they never stayed at the house across the street. The two were up in age and having a hard time taking care of their property and on a fixed income.

One winter there was a snow storm unlike any snow storm I have seen since, however there have been a few that came close, not sure exactly how high the snow was now but it was very high and nothing was moving very fast. I had finished helping my dad with our snow and it was so high you had to make a tunnel to get to the front gate. My dad went inside and I thought why not ask the Smith's if they would like me to shovel their snow for them. I asked them and mr. Smith said sure go ahead and shovel the snow.

So I proceeded to shovel the snow which took probably around a couple of hours and I managed to clean the driveway off and their sidewalk and steps. I told mr.Smith I was finished cleaning up the snow and that they could now get outside. I then turned my back on him and was proceeding to go home when mr. Smith said hold on I have something for you. He then showed me a $20.00 bill and said here take it you deserve it and I said no sir I really don't need it, however he continued to insist and I finally took the money and I thanked him.

It was true too I really didn't need any money my parents were never rich but they gave me a nice allowance once a week for completing my chores around the house which varied from time to time. Still though this was more money than I usually received in a whole month and for a 10 year old boy it meant a great deal. The years went by with not one storm like what we had and finally both of the Smith's passed away and the contents of their house was sold and finally their house. To this day though I still don't forget their kindness to me a young boy at the time.

I am no longer near as young as that 10 year old boy full of energy but I try to help out as much as I can the neighbors who might want my help or help a stranger in a grocery store with a question they might have about something. I do it in part because of how I was raised and also because I still remember the kindness of the Smith family so I try to pay it forward to the next person.

Old 09-10-16, 02:41 AM
Thanks Richard, another nice story.

I'm still adjusting to our new world where everyone is carrying a camera and instantly posting everything they see, but maybe it has a good side as "acts of kindness" are being captured as well. But many of us grew up before the camera craze and have stories to share that went both ways and we should share them.

Bud

Old 09-10-16, 03:22 AM
My physical health is deteriorating rather quickly, this was made quite apparent to me on Friday.

I was going to pick up a few piles of leaves that my sister's kid had made in the yard and toss them in the yard waste toter for pick up next Tuesday. Luckily, I couldn't find where he had left the rake as just dragging the toter to the back yard just about did me in. I did run out the hose that he had left as a jumbled mess on the hanger and re-would it. The only other thing I accomplished that afternoon was to sort through a couple of bins to determine a "save" bucket and a "Craig's List" bucket.

Now here is the random acts of kindness story.

Both of my yard waste toters were empty last Monday and the pick up is on Tuesday. I put a large yard waste bag full of shredded papers in one and then was going to fill them both the rest of the way from a pile of leaves and blackberries that Chris had made when the toters were filled. My neighbor, whose name is also Chris, came over and helped me fill both bins and drag them out to the street. I am really glad to have him (and his wife) for a neighbor.

I have done many things for others in my younger days but lately I have pretty much limited it to giving a jump start to someone who has a dead battery. When they thank me I always tell them to help someone less fortunate whenever they have the opportunity and that will be my payment for helping them this time.

Old 09-10-16, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My parents never had much money when I was young and I never received an allowance. Back then [like now] I didn't like being broke. I saw all the older boys making money mowing yards for folks and I wanted my share, trouble was I was only 7-8 yrs old. My parents weren't ready to trust me with our power mower so I knocked on doors offering to mow if I could use their mower. Everyone refused Until one old lady [maybe only 40] answered the door. We agreed that I'd mow her entire yard for 50 Her mower was a reel type, the kind without a motor. I had to reach up to grab the handle The yard was on a slight hill and I was unable to cut going up hill so I'd cut going down and then pull the mower back up to make another pass. After awhile the lady took pity on me and she held on to one side of the mower handle to help me. After we finished the front she invited me in for milk and cookies. When she asked if I was ready for the back yard I swallowed my pride and said I think I'm too young to mow, just pay me for the front yard. I was pleasantly surprised when she gave me a 50 piece as I was just expecting a quarter. I've never forgotten her!

I probably spent the next 20 yrs being more concerned with making a buck than helping someone out but after awhile I grew up and began to realize the joy that comes with helping someone with no expectation of monetary gain.