How Do They Do That?

Old 09-09-16, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
How Do They Do That?

Through Ebay I just ordered a USB to PS2 adapter from Hong Kong. Total price including free shipping 99˘. Sure it is small enough to fit in an envelop but could you even ship it that cheap if it was state to state in the U.S? And of course that doesn't include cost of materials to manufacture it or cost of manufacturing or cost of shipping to the retailer or the retailer's profit. Yes, I know very cheap labor and materials but still 99˘ seems almost impossible.

Of course I also use to think the same thing about the one dollar digital watches I bought at convenience stores. They actually worked well but heck in the U.S. you couldn't have even bought the battery for that price.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-16, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
I've bought a couple things on EBay $1 or even less with free shipping, too. I wondered the same thing. How can they be making any money? All I can think is, they somehow acquired tons of what ever they're selling at very little cost, and they must sell so much of it at the little price they charge, that they still come out ahead. Not sure how they can afford the free shipping tho!

Old 09-09-16, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
I am always surprised watching Shark Tank on how little it costs to produce an item. That item likely cost about 5 cents to produce because they made 5,000,000 of them at a time.

Old 09-09-16, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
What's funny is that when shopping in Shanghai and Hong Kong a adapter cable is cheap but it can be cheaper to buy in the US and have shipped from China. I have no idea how they do it. It is an odd economy though. I suspect some of it is state subsidized to support their economy. Profit is not always required in a communist economy.

Old 09-09-16, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
I suspect some of it is state subsidized to support their economy.
Now that makes sense. A government plot to convert their currency to dollars which has more value internationally.

Old 09-10-16, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
I've seen the massive buildings and entire cities that remain empty. Built just for the sake of construction, employment and driving the economy. They aren't built for an actual "need" like we would consider. For them the provincial government puts up the funding. Lots of people get work. Lots of stuff gets built and their productivity numbers go up and the economy looks good. And since the province has good numbers it gets more money from the central government to build more buildings.

Old 09-11-16, 12:23 AM
I am not real sleepy now and I am one of the original night owls so I thought I would look up your adapter Ray and I found one for 74 cents with free shipping. I think the theory that some of these items are subsidized by the Chinese government is correct. I believe it is part of a big plot to eventually collapse our government by making us economically weak. I still buy stuff from China but I prefer to buy things at least made in the Americas if not our country. I do remember seeing on Facebook a ghost town in China that is almost totally empty.

Why they built the town and never allowed anyone to live there is very strange. I also heard they don't want photos of the city taken nor do they want any video either. Again very strange but I am sure they have some kind of plan, they are just not talking.