Uber Self Driving Cars

Old 09-16-16, 12:20 AM
Uber Self Driving Cars

I know we have had this discussion before about self driving cars but that was while they were still in the test phase. Now Uber the car service that some people either love or hate has a fleet of these cars in Pittsburgh not too far away from where I live. In case you haven't heard the news on television or read it in a newspaper here is a link to one story about the new fleet UberÔ€™s Self-Driving Cars Debut in Pittsburgh - WSJ .

In my area Uber doesn't pick people up yet and it also doesn't deliver food yet either which is another service of theirs. The taxi drivers in Washington D.C. hate Uber and the citizenry has mixed feelings too as some Uber drivers are very dangerous in various ways(as are some taxi drivers too but I am focusing just on Uber).

Uber will have an emergency driver who will take over if the car goes out of control but for the most part it is all up to the computer to do all of the driving. Apparently this is a rather global effort on the part of Uber to have self driving cars as I read that it is available in Australia too and may be in other countries as well. So if you were offered a ride for free in one of these cars would you take it? I might and might not it depends.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-16, 04:35 AM
If there is a person in the driver seat to watch over it, I suppose I would. But, driver-less cars with a "pilot" on board seem to be a waste. I'm not saying not to have a "pilot", it's just what is the purpose of a driver-less car if you're going to have a person there doing nothing? Why not have him drive the car?

Talked to a recent co-worker who just came back from DC and used a Uber service. Said it was a great experience. They were able to follow the progress of the service as they waited for it. The driver was great and the payment was taken care of through a credit card as the service was called up on the phone.

Old 09-16-16, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
No way, no how as far as the driver-less ride. Anybody see the story about the guy riding in his driverless who t-boned a semi? [http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/bu...ion.html?_r=0] I'm also less than enthusiastic about getting into an Uber car, period. My first question before getting into an Uber would be, show me proof your insurance company knows you are driving your insured vehicle for hire. I can envision scenarios in which a rider is injured due to driver's fault and the insurance company declines claim when they discover the car they insured was a taxi cab or that the driver is carrying NO insurance at all. Or does Uber have an iron-clad way of ensuring their drivers are properly insured and the insurer is aware of the use of the car as a taxi?

Old 09-16-16, 02:30 PM
Group Moderator
Being the pilot in a self driving car would be very boring for many. I would be fearful of just how alert he would remain, how quickly he would stop playing Angry Birds or fighting with his ex via text message and take control.

Old 09-17-16, 12:07 AM
does Uber have an iron-clad way of ensuring their drivers are properly insured and the insurer is aware of the use of the car as a taxi?
In D.C. which used to have no insured drivers they require that all Uber drivers have the proper insurance. Also taxis must now be metered and it has been the law in D.C. for about 5 years or so. Uber drivers from what I understand don't need a meter as they just work occasionally to drive people which makes cab drivers mad in D.C.. As for the service being great it isn't always as some will rob you or commit some other crime but then so do some of the cab drivers. Also Uber drivers can charge a surcharge and cab drivers can't during peak hours.

So some things like the surcharge would stop me from using Uber but definitely would put me in a cab instead. I would also use a driver less cab with someone who could take over in case of emergency. I personally think as technology gets better there may be totally driver less services that people can take to and from certain destinations.

Old 09-17-16, 12:32 AM
" I personally think as technology gets better there may be totally driver less services that people can take to and from certain destinations. "
My guess is, the co-pilot approach is just for the early part of the learning curve where it adds confidence for the passengers and a "just in case" option for Uber.

My flip phone would be of no use in hailing a Uber cab and personally I wouldn't be excited about riding in a driverless vehicle. Memories of city traffic, which probably hasn't gotten any better, would scare the dickens out of me. Holland Tunnel ????

Bud

Old 09-17-16, 03:37 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, my flip phone makes and receives calls (a lot) and texts (very few). Nothing that requires an "app" is going to interest me much.

Old 09-17-16, 04:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bud, my last experience (last as in a lifetime) of going through the Holland Tunnel was terrifying for a redneck. Those large signs directing you to your destination AFTER you emerge from the darkness, always tended to be in the wrong lane..........or was I??? The self driving option, would hopefully have that factored in, making it less stressful. I have no intention of sitting in a vehicle with no driver. Hal can have his futuristic machines.

Old 09-17-16, 05:30 PM
The app being needed is also a big turn off for me too although eventually I would like to buy a smart phone as I think it might be easier to use. I know today since I am not used to my new flip phone I couldn't figure out how to answer the phone. I know it should be easy enough right? wrong! It turns out you have to press a button on the new flip phone to answer the phone, something that wasn't included in the instructions of the new phone. I found out by calling my cell phone from home and playing with it.