Pipeline break

Old 09-17-16, 06:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pipeline break

Everyone up the eastern seaboard, get ready. The Alabama pipeline shut down will affect you in short order. All our stations are out of gas. Prices, naturally are going up. Tennessee will be the next hardest hit. Hopefully diesel won't be the same supply deficit.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-16, 09:07 PM
It might not be as bad as you think Larry with perhaps a small spike in price and gas having to be brought in from other sources. At least I certainly hope so as we sure don't need higher gas prices during this time of year. I found an article about the gas pipeline here Alabama pipeline shutdown could send gas prices higher | Fox News .

Old 09-17-16, 09:08 PM
Group Moderator
A quarter million gallons or so of gasoline is on the loose.

Old 09-18-16, 03:05 AM
Pete, luckily it was caught in a retention pond, but it is still a big concern as to how it happened and will it happen again. Richard, yours may not be too bad since plan B is slowly being implemented. We got hit hard, as there is absolutely no gas and the stores are shuttered. Hopefully trucks will be on the roll to replenish supplies by tomorrow.

Old 09-18-16, 09:20 AM
Admin Emeritus

In My Opinion: ALL pipelines transporting oil or fuel products should be double walled with sensors installed into each section. Outer wall senses a fluid it automatically shuts pumps OFF! And notifies the local monitoring office(s).

Out this way such exists on some lines already. Each section is a noticeable high hump x #'s of feet. Each hump is about 6 feet high and atop of it is a Wi-Fi sensor and some even have warning lights atop them. I should get a snap shot of some on way to gun range where they are located and post it for those whom have not seen them.

IMHO ALL such transport pipe lines need doubled walled piping. Required by LAW.... Same as future rail road train tank cars now requiring double walled tankers. Industry is aware of double walled piping but isn't likely to voluntarily install such. Primary reason ($$$) why we need a federal law requiring such. Must be mandated by federal law or such will not happen. Hate to force onto some companies with more rules and laws but in all to many cases we must do so for the good of all.......

My Two Cents......

BTW: ...
Fuel spill collection pools and or ponds is outdated early 19th century tech!...
Additionally, IMHO all buses should have seat belts and head restraints just like cars and airplanes and other transportation vehicles already have....:grin:

"And Now You Know The Rest Of The Story."
Credit Source: The late but great Paul Harvey.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 09-18-16 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Added BTW Notes
Old 09-18-16, 09:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This morning's paper said we can expect up to a 20 per gallon price hike locally due to the pipeline break. I noticed on the way to church that most of the stations were 3-5 higher than they were on friday. After church most of those stations were another 5 higher - guess they read the paper

Old 09-18-16, 11:49 AM
Our governor declared a state of emergency so prices of wholesale and retail are not to be raised, but I see it happening. Not sure what the aftermath will show, but some stations in Atlanta popped their prices from $2.15 to $3.99, then quickly lowered it when faced with reality.

People need to realize this is not a shortage of gas, but a delay in delivery. You don't have to fill up your truck (which sits most of the time), boat (which isn't even in the water), tractor (Mark), gas cans and everything else that runs on gas. This creates a deficit supply and a higher demand, calling for higher prices. Simple. It will all be back to normal in a couple of days, so hunkering down and waiting to fill up once the tanks are replenished is the answer.

Sorry, Tom, the federal government is not the answer. Never has been and never will be. Only by oil companies and the like coming to a realization that they make a profit, so why not put it into their infrastructure for safety's sake will such an action take place. The less I have government in my life, the better I like it.

Old 09-18-16, 10:45 PM
I agree government isn't really the answer as it just helps to raise prices. I do on the other hand see the need for more sensors and better pipelines for whatever is in the tanks. So lets see first if they will do that voluntarily and then if more regulation is necessary then add more regulations. One thing that has saved water supplies from contamination and is a requirement is a simple valve called a clapper valve. Basically the valve doesn't allow gas to back flow into the water supply when pipe welding is needed.

So sometimes regulation is needed but lets hope they come to their senses and do what they need to do on their own. I agree Larry probably gas will not be affected as much here I know there used to be a refinery as close as Virginia as my dad would always call them when his pumps would get low. I haven't kept up with the business though my dad used to get magazines from Amoco oil after he retired but then BP bought them and even those stopped. Anyway they used to share information with retirees and station franchise owners not anymore though.

With just the two of us and being so close to the store we gave up our car a while ago since we have really good public transport. About the only thing we buy gas for now is the old generator and then not very often for that anymore.

Old 09-19-16, 08:44 AM
Only by oil companies and the like coming to a realization that they make a profit, so why not put it into their infrastructure for safety's sake will such an action take place.

Now THAT has to be about the funniest thing I've read all year.

Thanks!!

Old 09-19-16, 09:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The pipeline break is being covered even by the local news here in Southern California.

We have our gas problems and pay probably more than anywhere, but the east coast situation is bad. At least we can get gas here.
Reminds me of the 70's a little.

They say they are easing trucking regulations to get gas delivered faster.

Old 09-19-16, 10:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure about the other states but the governor of tenn has loosened the truck driving regs temporarily until the shortage is over.

Old 09-19-16, 11:59 AM
Old 09-19-16, 01:32 PM
Our Ingles supermarket sells fuel, but is out of gas. I noted driving by there were no bags on the diesel pumps so I pulled in. Most others are gouging on price and bumped diesel to nearly $2.50 a gallon.........and diesel doesn't even come from Alabama, go figure. I pulled in, noted the price on the pump was $2.25, and I had a 10 cent discount, so I was cool at $2.15.

Mind you all the pumps were vacant except the two for diesel. Some poor old lady pulled up behind me in her Mini Cooper and waited for about 10 minutes. I was NOT going to tell her it was only diesel. I gotta have some fun in the morning I pulled out and she pulled up and saw the sign.......Forrest Gump was right.