Over refund

Old 10-06-16, 03:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Over refund

The alternator on my Ram Cummins finally began its death throes with 474,000 miles. I went to Auto Zone to get it tested and they confirmed it was lethal. So I had a choice. Drive it home, take it off, have my helper drive me back to the store for an alternator OR buy it with core and get a refund when I completed the exchange. I chose the latter. With taxes and core the total was $144.44. I drove to the shop made the swap and went back to return the core and get my refund.

He put my phone number in and determined it was under a lifetime warranty, so he refunded me $226.55. I told him I just bought it for $144.44, but he said the warranty was based on the original purchase of $165 plus tax and core. We argued for a few minutes until one of the other associates told me that is the way it is.

So I made $82 and got a new alternator.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-16, 04:12 PM
You can't fight the computer, no matter how honest you want to be. Some days the the chips fall your way and other days they don't.

Old 10-06-16, 04:17 PM
The supervisor even told me it wasn't their decision to make as the manufacturer set the rules. They didn't lose any money, and I am a happy customer.

Old 10-06-16, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
What brand alt gives a Lifetime warranty? Sounds strange..

Whats the warranty on the replacement?

What options did you have in alternators?

Isnt that a factory Ram part if it was oringinal?

Not doubting you but curious....

Old 10-06-16, 05:05 PM
Duralast with lifetime warranty. I don't question it. Lifetime on the replacement. For that price not many choices with as good a warranty. Even on Ebay they were upwards to $200, then who stands behind it? No it wasn't original, gosh, nothing from the factory lasts that long. He said I bought it from them 5 years ago according to their computer records.

Old 10-06-16, 05:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What brand alt gives a Lifetime warranty?
I've dealt with Autozone, the alternators are rebuilt. I usually only buy factory parts, but it's pretty tempting to buy a part that is guaranteed for life and costs a fourth or more less.
I've been happy with them. One time a part failed within weeks, other times an expensive part has lasted just as good or better than factory.

Old 10-06-16, 05:33 PM
My dad used to deal with NAPA auto parts as they would deliver to his business and they rebuilt alternators. They also would accept cores and then rebuild the old alternator but they never gave my father a lifetime guarantee even though he knew about everyone at the store. You sure were lucky Larry to get such a great deal! About the best warranty deal I ever heard was one year and that would include parts and labor in my fathers case.

Old 10-06-16, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
I go to O'riley's a lot for my parts. Many of them have a lifetime warranty. Things like brake pads are even covered. I brought a spark plug wire in for a replacement because it got burned up and they said if I bring the whole set in it will be free. Huh.

Old 10-06-16, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
lifetime warranty
Its a limited liftime warranty from what I know. Thats why I cant understand it. If you read the terms and conditions it dont make sense..

Old 10-07-16, 03:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I mostly buy from AutoZone and generally opt for the parts with the lifetime warranty - never had any issues with the warranty ..... and I tend to keep vehicles a long time.

25 yrs ago I worked for a guy that got a great deal on a nearly new repo'd van from the bank. The previous owner apparently didn't like the fact that it was going to be repossessed so he blew up the engine. The boss bought a crate motor from AZ and put it on his credit card. He got the engine installed but the charge never showed up on his credit card statement so he went back to AZ and they told him it wasn't their problem .... somehow he got that engine for free!!

Old 10-07-16, 04:03 AM
From Autozone, I received a free brake disc that I admitted I damaged. Counter man said don't worry about it, we'll send it back as a defect. As long as it's honest from my end, and I can't change things on the other end, I don't question good fortune.

Old 10-07-16, 04:47 AM
Admin Emeritus

So I made $82 and got a new alternator...
What A Deal......They paid you the R&R labor cost. A WIN-WIN for you and them.

That transaction is a praise and thanks. Should be or could be if you like posted here:

Praise, Thanks & Appreciations - DoItYourself.com Community Forums