Salary

Old 10-07-16, 02:16 PM
Salary

When someone asks you what's your annual salary, is it based off of your "NET" or "GROSS" income? It seems like a straight forward question, and yet I have seen different answers.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-16, 02:28 PM
In my opinion gross salary is the one to use for comparisons. Net salary is dependent upon each individual's tax situation, if you asked ten people, all with the same gross salary, there would be ten different net salaries.

Old 10-07-16, 02:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have run into a few contractors that like to state that their company's overall income is what they make. I was talking with a carpet guy and couldn't understand why he made so much more than me when he let it slip that also included his help's wages and materials.

I agree that your salary has to do with gross wages and not wages after taxes.

Old 10-07-16, 02:40 PM
Ok, I was also leaning in that direction, that it was your gross income. Thanks!

Old 10-07-16, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, most well run companies will have enough deductions to reduce their gross income down to ideally zero just for tax purposes. Most any application you make will require gross income to make their decisions on.

Old 10-10-16, 07:35 AM
Group Moderator
Who's asking and why? Generally speaking, I agree that Gross is the number to use. That said, there are situations where the Net number is important, like in creating a budget.