Voting Humor

Old 11-08-16, 09:42 AM
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-16, 09:47 AM
We just returned from voting. There were two guys in line wearing clothes pins on their noses. They got a round of applause from the majority of the people in line.

Old 11-08-16, 12:02 PM
Sorry you didn't see the humor in it, I thought it was quite funny.

Old 11-08-16, 01:06 PM
Where did you get the idea that I didn't think it was funny?

I've voted in 13 presidential elections and this is the only one where I was disgusted and still undecided walking into the polling booth. I think a lot of people felt the same way. Yet they were still lined up to do their duty.

Old 11-08-16, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by cwbuff
". . . they were still lined up to do their duty . . ."
I think it's a privilege; not a duty.

I actually prefer that people not vote UNLESS they've educated themselves regarding the candidates and the issues.

Old 11-08-16, 02:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Speaking about lines, normally there isn't a big line in my district and certainly nothing like the long lines at the polls in central fla but we found it somewhat amusing that they had 2 lines split down the alphabet with 7-8 folks in the line I was in and none in the other line [other half of the alphabet]

Old 11-08-16, 05:27 PM
Me and my mom who is up in age decided to vote absentee early did it last time too although last time I could stand the lines and this time I can't stand long. Best decision we ever made as it is much easier that way. I will not say who I voted for but I have to agree this years choices sure do stink and I don't think anyone is very happy with either candidate. I saw your video Baldwin and I sure felt the same way when I voted except for when I voted on the amendments and other issues on the ballot.

While I wasn't in line to vote I have heard on our local news that this is the first time in early voting history that we have had such a huge turnout. People are definitely voting for change this time around.

Old 11-08-16, 05:35 PM
Vermont...
I think it's a privilege; not a duty.

I actually prefer that people not vote UNLESS they've educated themselves regarding the candidates and the issues.
It's both!

Go to a country that does not have voting rights and see how they feel.

I wish I could agree with your second statement, but I can't. Even uneducated voters is better than a non-voter. At the very least it keeps the rights (read voice) of the people and the duty of the voting action viable. Especially on the local level. Many times a local voting decision is decided by 1 to 10 votes on the locale level. That means your vote counts, educated or not! I would rather have a voted in poor candidate, one who I disagree with and even a dishonest candidate than a leader who was not elected by the people.

As bad as we think politicians are, think about who they hear from and how they act. They hear from the activist. The activist are the minority or few who have an agenda to get what they want and it's usually not what the majority want (or not in the immediate interest of the majority of the community). But the majority are too per-occupied or disinterested to voice back in kind to the wants of the activist. Remember these activist are also the constituents of the elected officials. The elected officials will listen to their constituents. They will re-act to the voices they hear.

I have seen this take place in my own neighborhood and town. And I'm guilty of not participating just as most people are of not getting involved.

Let me ask this of the members of this forum the following question? How many of you have or will attend or have regularly or periodically attended a town meeting? Or have attended a meeting that concerns another neighborhood in your town but does not affect you directly?
I dare say if 1% of the membership can say yes it would be surprising. Did you care if it did not affect you? Did the other neighborhood need your support but you did not attend? Too busy, not enough time, work late, bad day of the week, family matters, dinner time?

Often time politicians vote themselves pay or salary raises. The paper makes us aware of it and we complain about it! BUT do we do anything about it?

Our political leaders, be they honest, or dishonest, crooks or not, smart or stupid, will react to the voice of the people. But only to those who make themselves heard. Voting, educated or otherwise is one way to make your voice heard. Attending town meetings is even better.

I hear this quote many times ..." I won't bother to vote because it means nothing".

On the national level, in tonight's election coverage it was said that in certain counties in the Carolina's as little as 1 to 10 votes made a difference to swing a county to red or blue and in turn that state went to a red or blue win for the election. Yes your vote counts! Educated or not!

Old 11-08-16, 06:13 PM
Norm201 I agree with you voting is important and I always vote in the local municipal city election. I may not always agree with them but I vote anyway. Due to my moms health and now some health concerns of my own that I have to deal with I don't go to city council meetings but I do receive an e-mail from our city council person. If I do have any concerns I always will e-mail the council person and I think other people should too. Things don't always go the way you want your city to handle things but that is just the way life is, better to have a voice in things than not.

Old 11-08-16, 06:46 PM
I'm glad you participate.

I'll try to keep this short.

A neighbor of mine (lives one street away) has had a major water run-off problem in his neighborhood (major flooding for him and several houses nearby, talking 3 feet of water in basement at certain times). This was a 5 year running battle for him.

This man is not mechanically inclined and does not know a hammer from a screw driver. Ask him to go find a left handed hammer and he will spend the time and most likely find one!

Anyway, with the deck stacked against him, he single handedly took on the town of West Seneca, NY and proved his case that the town and contractors cut corners and cheated building codes. They fought him tooth and nail. They did not use the proper size sewer lines, even though the drawing plans on file indicated they did (he got them to actually dig it up and to the town engineers face proved them to be a bald face lairs!)

At one point he proved that they actually terminated a storm sewer line at a concrete wall leaving all that water in the line to go into the surrounding homes. This was in direct contradiction to what was stated in town hall in front of a full meeting. (subsequent excavation again proved him correct). He has gained more knowledge about the town storm sewer and infrastructure system than any engineer or highway employee.

Point being, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. In most cases.

PS...His big threat to the town? He vowed to get at least 100 people to attend every town meeting and told them that his yelling and complaining would be like a nursery rhyme compared to what they would do if things did not change. And the language would not be nice. He now has the awe and admiration of his neighbors and the fear and dis-like of the town administrators and leaders.

Old 11-09-16, 02:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I actually prefer that people not vote UNLESS they've educated themselves regarding the candidates and the issues
I agree!! If you don't know the facts/issues you can't cast an informed vote. I don't like to see election results based only on who had the best advertising or 'looks' like a better candidate.

Old 11-09-16, 03:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I noticed in our state that we have uneducated masses pulling the lever for the (I) candidate. I guess they figure the incumbents are already seasoned and can handle the job, when in reality they are the ones who lack luster and don't really work for the people. Forrest Gump was right "stupid is as stupid does". That's why we have the same senators and representatives year after year. I'll not get into term limits.