Election protesters

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-16, 08:11 AM
Election protesters

Today's church services ended with the hymn "America The Beautiful". I thought how many in my church, or any church for that matter attending services would likely be the same people to be out there protesting our election and our system? I think none at all. In fact I wonder how many of those protesters attend services or even practice their religion. And if they are practicing church members, few churches would condone their behavior. Those protesters are acting out exactly what they feared the opposition would have done.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-16, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Peaceful protests are one thing but those that riot and/or loot are nothing but criminals. I think many of them just look for an excuse to cause trouble.

Old 11-13-16, 09:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Some reports have it that many of the rioters are actually paid to incite it. They are not "protesters", but criminals and should be treated as such, IMO. Nothing is going to change the election results. The electoral college is not going to reconsider their decisions. Maybe the rioters and school kids should just go back to their safe space, hunker down, comfort each other, cry a little, play with their toys a while. Grown ups have spoken.

Old 11-13-16, 10:31 AM
Having been in college myself, I admire then fact that they do give a person the ability to get a broader view of life and the facility to see different perspectives. They also have a liberal view and that is not a bad thing. But what they forget and no longer do, is provide a student (and the word student should be taken literally) with real life experience, business acumen, business realities and political realities. Universities and colleges, I believe are the places that incubate new ideas, and reform. But the way its done is not by protesting or exhibitionist promoting extreme actions. Many of today's university professors are encouraging revolt and anarchy. The powers that run the higher institutions of learning need to be held to a higher standard as to who they allow to be teachers.

I'm wondering, those students who participated in the protest and missed classroom time and/or test, are they being given a pass for their actions? If I were a professor in a college I would tell my students, that it's OK to participate in a protest at the expense of school time. But for every action, there is re-action. Missed class time, no mark (I know, no practical way of enforcing that type of thinking). I know colleges are not suppose to be run like a high school. But maybe they should be.

Better still, maybe the money spent to send these rioters to school should pay for the damages incurred by adding that money to tuition payments (parents, are you listening?)

Some reports have it that many of the rioters are actually paid to incite it. They are not "protesters", but criminals and should be treated as such, IMO.
Could not agree more. The problem is you can't stop violence with more violence. The real answer? The media is at fault! Stop the news from reporting every protesters whim. Don't give the crackpot the notoriety the seek. Then will the people paying the money continue to do so?

OK, I'm rambling now. Sorry.

Old 11-13-16, 11:39 AM
The Seattle School District made it known that students may walk out on Monday but IF they do they would receive an unexcused absence for the day.

That seems fair to me.

I certainly accept the "right" to protest but in a peaceable and lawful manner. Obstructing traffic is NOT lawful nor is looting or rioting.

We survived five and a half years with Nixon, two and a half years with Ford (the only man in history to serve as both Vice-President and President without having been elected to either office), four years with Carter, eight years with Reagan, four years with Bush Sr., eight years with Clinton, eight years with Bush Jr. and eight years with Obama. We WILL survive under Trump as well.

Further, I think that Mr. Trump will soon find out that what he spoke of doing during the campaign will not be so easy to do once he is sworn into office. The biggest stumbling block will be the money required. There will be no wall built between the U.S. and Mexico; maybe a few hundred to a few thousand feet but definitely no sixteen foot tall wall topped with broken glass and razor wire. No guard towers with full automatic machine guns spaced every few hundred feet.

Yeah, there will be a re-allocation of border patrol along with INS forces but nothing like was talked about.

From what little I have read in the last few days he is already backing down from the wholesale obliteration of Obamacare and is now starting to talk about a modified system that may include single payer status.

I really like the idea of working on the infrastructure of OUR country but I doubt that he will be making any huge cuts in military spending. MAYBE he will stop the POLITICAL spending for new armaments, ones that even the Pentagon is NOT asking for but are primarily work for the defense industries.

Nor is he going to gut Social Security or Medicare. He can't raise taxes much more on the lower and middle classes as you simply cannot get blood from a turnip. That means that he WILL be raising taxes on that segment of the populace that can absorb the increased costs...his own 1% of the populace.

I wonder if he will take his salary as President? I heard rumors back in the day that Kennedy donated his salary to charity although I don't know if that is true. Trump obviously doesn't need the money and he would make definite points by not taking it.

Old 11-13-16, 12:35 PM
This is a little off the specific topic. I didn't care much for either choice and hope President-elect Trump does well, but I see a few initial direction choices that concern me:
  • His attorneys just asked for a postponement of the Trump U case because he was elected president. This strikes me as the different rules for him approach he criticized in Clinton.
  • While the press may not have treated him fairly, the idea of continuing to demonize the press and potentially abandoning the press pool is a huge mistake. The American people have a right to know what's going on and if all we get is the bias of pro-Trump reporters, that's at least as bad as the liberals.
  • What happened to "drain the swamp". All his potential appointees suggested so far are political insiders. During the campaign he spoke about bringing in some of his friends from business, but that doesn't seem to be happening.
  • He's going to put his business in a blind trust, run by his kids - which is not a blind trust at all because his kids talk to him all the time. (I hope no one will suggest his kids speaking to him on the plane will be only about baby pictures.) What's to stop those seeking influence from buying his properties, making loans, or entering into business deals. As a private company we'll never know. Isn't that just more crony capitalism?

Old 11-14-16, 02:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I heard rumors back in the day that Kennedy donated his salary to charity although I don't know if that is true.
I've read that both Kennedy and Hoover gave their presidential salaries to charity. If I understand correctly Trump says he won't take a salary.

Old 11-14-16, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
On the subject of the "protesters", let's not forget that a fair percentage are out there because it's the "in" or "cool" thing to do.

Funny it's nearly all in million+ population cities.

FWIW, didn't see a word in the paper about them today (our world news is a USA Today insert).

Old 11-14-16, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
On Fox this AM they said Trump did not even know what the pay was.

Old 11-14-16, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by the tow guy
". . . Funny it's nearly all in million+ population cities . . ."
And Cities whose residents voted for Hillary anyway !

Old 11-14-16, 01:52 PM
Perhaps the protesters are just taking their lead from Trump. During the Obama/Romney election, there was a period of time where it looked like Obama would take the electoral college but Romney the popular vote. It ended up that Obama took both, but during that period, Trump sent several tweets blasting the electoral system and saying it was not democracy in action. Then he tweeted this:

"We can't let this happen. We should march on Washington and stop this travesty. Our nation is totally divided!"

Old 11-14-16, 02:05 PM
The difference is, they did not protest. And I think it was because it was politics as usual. Nothing was different. Same system different name.

Old 11-14-16, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
I think it's going to get uglier before it's over. Already there are folks organizing for disruption of the inauguration ceremonies. Not going to endear themselves to decent folk of either political party.

Old 11-14-16, 04:19 PM
Well of course not. As I said, Obama ended up winning the popular vote as well.

I'm dismayed that a few of the protests have turned violent, but I certainly support people of either side exercising their first amendment rights.

Old 11-14-16, 06:31 PM
Since a good chunk of you are Moderators how does this discussion jibe with the forum heading?

Home - Forum - Community Meeting Center For Non Governmental & Non Political Forum Topics

Just me but this has "Political" written all over it....

Old 11-14-16, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
You're absolutely right. I think because of the "unusual" election, we let a few slide, when usually this isn't allowed.
Since it's been a week now, I think it's time to close them and let this one be the last.

Closed Thread