Over protected circuit

Old 11-14-16, 01:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Over protected circuit

I love what I do. Mike Holmes ain't got nothin' on me. I've seen it all. Today I was tracing a circuit to move a switch from one wall to another. Basically reversing a closet. Easy to do. Plugged my sending unit in and took the tracer to the panel. I constantly ran over all the single breakers with no "hit". It would hit on the "furnace" double 60 amp breaker. OK, I figure it is connected to a sub panel. Nope. No sub panel. I turned the furnace breaker off and it all went dead. I asked the lady about her furnace. She said she switched to a gas furnace a few years ago.

So, someone had just plugged in a 14 gauge wire into one leg of the 60 amp breaker and called it a day. That's when you start shaking. What else did this numbnut do? I had a 15 amp breaker in the truck and swapped it out.

They are out there, folks, and they procreate.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-16, 02:47 PM
WOW!

I have a co-worker who just informed me he does not connect any ground wires to his outlets. Living like that for years.

Old 11-14-16, 03:46 PM
Wonder what his thinking is (or not) on the matter. The ground is there, the screw is usually unscrewed, waiting to be wrapped and tightened. He's not one of those protesters, is he

Old 11-15-16, 04:24 AM
As a matter of fact he is very reasonable and pleasant. Very clean cut and never opinionated or a "know it all". I asked him why he does not wire in the ground. He said why bother, all the old homes were just two wire systems and no ground although his home is not that old or that type of electrical system. The wires are there he just doesn't bother using them.

Old 11-15-16, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Once removed a whole wall in a house. It had multiple receptacle. They were 3-hole receptacles but at each one the ground had been cut off and the wires back stabbed. However there was a good reason. Some contractors pay casual laborers per receptacle not per hour. Cutting off the ground and using back stabs may have greatly increased their days pay and insured they'd get hired the next day because of their productivity.

Old 11-15-16, 08:40 AM
The grounding wire isn't needed to make things work so why bother with it?

Old 11-15-16, 03:42 PM
Ahh, but the grounding wire is needed to make things work RIGHT. Bother with it. It could save a life, or equipment.

Search this Thread