Another Flaming Toy

Old 11-21-16, 04:23 AM
Group Moderator
Another Flaming Toy

Re: Toys 'R' Us Pulls Tonka Truck After It Apparently Burst Into Flames - NBC News What do you want to bet it turns out to have lithium ion batteries? At what point do you decide a battery technology isn't worth the risk no matter how good?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-16, 06:46 AM
Is it the battery or the charger that's usually at fault? I've had no problems (so far) with my Li-Ion tool batteries (Bosch & Dewalt). But my 15-month old cordless vacuum is dead with 5 of the 7 cells in the 23.5V pack at 0V across the terminals. It sits on the charging stand 24/7--no choice really as it falls over by itself. It has a small "wall wart" charger that's probably nothing more than an unregulated trickle charger. A $200 vac should come with a better charger.

Old 11-21-16, 07:57 AM
Admin Emeritus

Saw this on TV news myself. Brief excerpt of this news article. Can't overly sensationalize events like these on TV news for fear of excessively offending corporate advertisers...:NO NO NO:

However, without any doubts, a serious potential hazard. Surely or likely to put a damper on coming holidays sales...

Might be better to revert back to using an RV deep cycle battery like this one

Primary reason why >HOME< delivery is not offered...

Legal Beagle Disclaimer Notes:
All sales cash and you carry, at your own peril...
User assumes all responsibility for safe transport and usage.
Transport with this side UP only. See box instructions and picture for directions.

Fair Warning!
This toy product, unlike the real truck, has NO fire extinguisher!

Read the enclosed owners manual and safety warnings.
If product does not explode or erupt into flames......prior....

Retail store assumes absolutely no responsibility upon sales completion...

All sales final. Read the very small print on receipt...

Edit Notes:
Products battery comes fully pre charged...

Copy posted into safety awareness and product alerts.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 11-21-16 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-21-16, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is bothering me is Dewalt now offering tools with 60 volt batteries. How safe can they be?

Old 11-21-16, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
Dewalt now offering tools with 60 volt batteries.
Guaranteed till death do us part.

Old 11-22-16, 06:40 AM
So safe they can't be shipped via air :NO NO NO:

I hope Dewalt considered that some tradesmen use tablesaws & chopsaws to cut aluminum. A build-up of conductive metal in the new 120Vmax tools with 2 of those bombs mounted could literally bring down the house.

Old 11-23-16, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It seems Dewalt wants to be the innovator in new tools, but always falls behind. I remember when I bought my Makita driver/drill combo with the small batteries. They last a long time and charge quickly. Dewalt was still using their XRP batteries on a small frame driver. Duh. You lug around a driver all day with an XRP and your hip will tell on you.

Old 11-23-16, 11:40 PM
I am convinced that Makita makes much better battery powered tools than Dewalt does Larry. With our house next door that we haven't sold yet due to various reasons I did at times borrow our contractors drill and what a difference between Black and Decker(Which is made by Dewalt or vice versa) and the Makita drill driver. It is like night and day and if I ever buy any other rechargeable drill it will definitely be a Makita. Much lighter and the battery lasts practically forever between charges. I also liked the work light very handy in dark areas when drilling.

I am very concerned though about the exploding batteries in the toys as I have nephews who are about the right age now for such a toy. I am glad though that this has been put in the press and it is being reported. With other batteries exploding too in other devices such as cell phones and laptops I think the battery industry and government need to look very carefully at how these rechargeable batteries are being made and then fix the problems as soon as possible.

Old 11-24-16, 05:02 AM
I saw a video on the news yesterday of a guy that had an e-cig go off in his pants pocket. It was surprisingly pyrotechnic. I suspect the jewels may have been badly damaged.

He is still in the hospital.

Search this Thread