Things That Go Right Over Your Head

Old 12-20-16, 06:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Things That Go Right Over Your Head

You know.... one of those things that happens, then you think, oh crap, "I coulda had a V8!".

We were on our way outta town for a party or a wedding or something. A trip we have made plenty of times. Its about a 2 hour trip. About half way down, its a very rural part of the state with a lot of wooded area, mostly logging country. I decide, I gotta hit the head but there's no stores nearby. So, I whip off the hwy on to a logging road into the trees, stop, wife & I get out & take a quick bathroom break in the woods. Suddenly, we hear a click & instantly know that our little dog has hit the door lock. OH CRAP! The keys are in the car with the engine on. I mean, we are in the woods/forest about 50 yards, no one around, no one is likely to jump in & steal the car so, I just leave it running & jump out & let'er fly. Then.... click!
We immediately turned around, grabbed the door handle & gave a tug. Yep.... its locked! We played little games to get the little dog to continue to jump up & down on the door but with the electric door lock button smaller than a dime, she danced all around but never quite hit the button.
Our discussion went over what we might do to get back in. We both have road side assistance with our phones & car insurance but, how the heck are we going to explain where we are & how they will find us 50 yards out into the woods/trees/forest? Besides, that'd be a bit e-m-b-a-r-r-a-s-s-i-n-g trying to explain why we were in the woods. I can hear the guy saying ... yeah right, you went off the road, into the woods to take a leak... uh huh, yeah, right.
Any way, not wanting to call roadside assistance until all other options were exhausted, we kept playing games with the dog to get her, hopefully, to hit the electric door lock button. This went on for about 10 - 15 minutes, standing in the woods, trying to get the dog to let us back in our car.
Finally, it happened, we heard that much anticipated "click"! I instinctively gave a quick tug on the door handle & the door popped open. OH what a relief it is! Finally!
So, we hopped in the car knowing we had just learned a lesson. Never leave the car running & close the doors with your little dog in the car.... especially while you're in the woods taking a whiz.
We got in the car, got buckled up, started to put it in gear to back out & it dawned on me..... I looked over at the wife & said; you ain't gonna believe this. I have a spare key in my pocket!

Right over my head.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-16, 06:28 AM
Group Moderator
Great story... I had something similar happen but it was in the winter in nebraska... my truck was on ACC cuz the radio was on... I was outside the truck watching a meteor shower... about 4 miles outside of town on a desolate road... at around 1AM... and it was my cat. LOL

I eventually got him to step on a power window button by teasing him in a similar manner. Good times.

Old 12-20-16, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Don't feel too bad, I've gone out on lock-out calls before and discovered a back door unlocked. Also jump start calls and discovered the car in Drive where the shifter was left when they shut the car off. Variation on this, "I can't get my key out of the ignition switch".

Old 12-20-16, 07:06 AM
Group Moderator
I always carry a spare key in my wallet... till now. Darn I keep intending to get a spare key for my latest car but keep putting it off. A true spare would be $30 because now even the keys have electronics but what I would need is what is called a wallet key...just a flat bow no chip. Just been putting off finding a place that does that.

Thanks for waking up my paranoia.

Old 12-20-16, 07:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Back in 1986, I was dating a girl & I pulled in her drive & got out. Come time to leave & I couldnt get my 1979 Ford truck to start.. dead.. nothing.

This right here.... lol.

lso jump start calls and discovered the car in Drive where the shifter was left when they shut the car off.
However, after a few minutes it came to me. Put in park & its started.... embarrassing..

Old 12-20-16, 08:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ray almost anybody can make a no chip key, I think you have a Freestar (I have one also) It is a regular ford key but will not start car.

Old 12-20-16, 08:32 AM
Group Moderator
Not worried about starting. Actually figured I'd also get a chipped key and hide it in the car. My question is if I have the alarm set and loose the remote or the remote fails is there any way to turn the alarm off?

Old 12-20-16, 08:54 AM
Last week I was in a large mall parking lot when I saw a woman wondering around looking distressed. I asked her what was wrong and she was nearly in tears as she told me that someone had stolen her brand new car. I asked to see her keys and when I pushed the lock button we heard the horn beep a hundred yards away. She had never owned a car with an electronic key and didn't realize how handy it is as a locator.

I too have been a victim of "it won't start in gear" only with me I was fishing alone 30 miles offshore from Key West. I had hooked up with a large fish, and I slammed the shifter in neutral and shut off the engine. After I landed the fish I tried to start the outboard and it was dead. I had no tools and the only radio I had was a CB. I could hear traffic but couldn't raise anyone. My wife knew I was fishing but had no idea where I was. I spent a half hour trying to start the engine manually without success. Ever try to pull start a 6 cyl outboard? Then the duh! moment hit me. I checked the gear shift that appeared to be in neutral but it was not in the detent. I turned the key and the engine started right up.

On one hand I was a bit nervous being out that far alone and busted down but on the other I was glad that I didn't have anyone else with me to see my stupid. I had a VHF radio installed the next day.

Old 12-20-16, 10:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Forgot does your car have the buttons on drivers door. Just set the code for them. Still got your owners manual the procedure is in there. use my buttons all the time.

Old 12-20-16, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
No buttons, just the remote keyfob.

Old 12-20-16, 06:40 PM
Tonight, I had a panic attack. Drove into the hospital parking ramp. Did not even open the door. Keys slipped from hand and I spend the next twenty minutes looking for them. They were wedged between seat and console and totally hidden. Told my son why I was late. Although he could not talk, he did laugh at my clumsiness.

Old 12-20-16, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator
Ok, I'll confess a key and car mistake I made a while back. Drove to a Midas or Meineke because ALL-DATA listed them as a source. Figured I'd have to slip them a fiver, but after hearing my sob story about how the dealer wouldn't give me copies of the actual recalls and fixes on my Dakota, they did it for free. So 10 min later I'm happily walking to the truck and I don't hear a click. Uh-oh...stupid battery must have died somehow in the 10 min. Spend 5-10 min trying to call wife to come get me, then realized, can't even open the hood to get a jump! Go back in, explain what happened and ask the guy if he has a slimjim and a jumppack if I can get it open or should I call a towtruck? He looks at me kinda funny and says "Doesn't it have a keyhole?". Homer Simpson "Dow" and a facepalm later, he's following me out with his giant jump box (barely charged naturally) and low and behold, on the drivers side door...a keyhole! Fires me up, I go straight home to try a charge, but it's just dead. She comes home, I go to Wally World, buy a new battery and all is good. Never went to that shop again, too embarassed.

Old 12-20-16, 10:14 PM
Group Moderator
Ray..... the factory alarm should shut off when the ignition is turned on.

Great story.

Years ago I had a Golden Lab and she would stand with her paws on the arm rest and she hit the door lock button one time. I had the visors over the windows so that I could keep them down an inch or two. I always left them down that much. I unscrewed the antenna and used that to hit the unlock button.

Old 12-21-16, 03:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My biggest re occurring key goof is all the times I've gotten in my wife's merc and tried to start it with the jeep's key or vice versus. Shouldn't be an issue with her new car as it doesn't have keys

Old 12-21-16, 04:37 AM
Wrong key in the wrong car, DISASTER if it gets stuck! I've come close.

Old 12-21-16, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
Can't even remember the make of car but went to move it to the garage and stuck the trunk key in the ignition and I do mean stuck. Took forever to get it back out.

Old 12-21-16, 09:12 AM
Not sure how true this is - but I was on one of those busses for off-site airport parking, and the driver told me a story where a person lost their ticket, and could not find his car and was getting irate... turns out he was in the wrong companies lot. ParknFly vs Park Place.

Old 12-21-16, 09:40 AM
I can believe that....those are the types that get all angry at the driver as if it's the driver's fault! I usually take a pic of the ticket with my phone...haven't needed it yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Old 12-21-16, 11:06 AM
take a pic of the ticket with my phone
Great Idea!_______________________________________

Old 12-21-16, 11:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Same Idea but I take a picture of model # now.

Old 12-22-16, 10:29 AM
Completely off topic - but I have been using my phone to read small print (instructions). Take a picture and zoom in.