I have stage 4 cancer

Old 12-23-16, 05:18 PM
I have stage 4 cancer

I am not writing this for sympathy but appreciate your kind words. I am writing this as advice though for people to get a colonoscopy if their doctor recommends it as it could save their life.

As for my life I don't really know how long I will live but in my belief only the all mighty knows. I believe that through various methods including my belief in prayer that I can extend my life. I don't wish to be taken off the forum I want to post as long as I can and try to help people with a problem as I enjoy this forum very much. So you will continue to see my posts here.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-16, 06:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Richard, so sorry to hear of this. You will be in our prayers.

I just had my first one at 68, at the insistence of my wife. Fortunately only a few non cancerous polyps. But will make it for the 5 year repeat.

Old 12-23-16, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator
If you haven't already...get a second opinion, maybe from a specialty hospital. I know of people who were told 3-6 months, but another doctor kept them alert and active for 2+ years. That and belief are what you have going. Chin up.

Old 12-23-16, 07:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am writing this as advice though for people to get a colonoscopy if their doctor recommends it as it could save their life
Thank you so much for saying that. The Doctor will always recommend screening but the advice is ignored.
I get letters from my health insurance pretty regularly regarding screening, they go in the recycling bin but they are meant to help.
I saved one recently and here's what it says:

- Screening starts at 50 for men and women, some might need it earlier
- Screening can prevent at least 60% of deaths, I'm weeping as I type this

Old 12-23-16, 07:21 PM
Wishing you comfort and peace in this difficult time.

Paul

Old 12-23-16, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the reminder. My 5 year was due 6 months ago and I've been putting it off. Just hung up a note to make that appointment Tuesday. Your message came through much more clearly than the letter they sent.

God be with you,
Bud

Old 12-23-16, 07:45 PM
Thank you everyone for your well wishes and I definitely will take everyone's advice. Going to watch the rest of our local news but I just wanted to make sure I said thank you, you bolster my spirits. Merry Christmas everyone.

Old 12-23-16, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
Been putting my follow up off too but it isn't the exam it's the prep. I heard others describe their pre exam prep and compared to the VA version it is a walk in the park. Wish I had the money to go civilian.

Old 12-24-16, 04:01 AM
Just a note, one of my clients was questioning me about my prep, and I told her I'd rather drink ocean water. She was given an option of pills, BUT insurance would not cover them. $240 for the pills.

Thanks Richard for the insight and prompting for all of us to do what we KNOW we should do, but put it off.

I agree, Ray, it is the prep. The procedure is nothing. It was my first, and the little anesthesiologist girl asked if I was comfortable, and said "goodnight", and pushed her button. So I urge everyone DON'T PUT IT OFF.

Old 12-24-16, 04:06 AM
Hedge,

Hang in there. Always keep a good outlook (as you seem to be doing) and our prayers are with you. Your help and advice are always looked forward to. I (we) hope to see lots of it for years to come.

Old 12-24-16, 04:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Best to you , Ray just had one done at VA this year. The stuff you drink is not as bad as it was and other than running a bunch of people going in at the same time it went pretty smooth. The VA hospital in Durham NC is a good one.

Old 12-24-16, 05:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree the stuff you drink isn't as bad as it used to be .... not that anyone would otherwise willingly drink it. I've had 3, the first 2 had pre cancerous polyps but the last one was normal They say it's one of the most curable cancers if caught early! The benefits outweigh the unpleasant prep.

Richard, sorry to hear it, hope everything goes well for you!

Old 12-24-16, 06:47 AM
Group Moderator
I am at a loss for words. Good luck, and stay strong.

Old 12-24-16, 07:07 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, hang in there. We are all pulling for you.

Old 12-24-16, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
I'll keep you in my prayers Rich.

Old 12-24-16, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Richard, what sad news to read!

I'm wishing for a Christmas miracle for you.

Becky

Old 12-24-16, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Hi Richard. Im sorry to hear of your news... I wish you a great Christmas.

I thank you for your post as I will be 51 next week and have been putting off colon tests myself as it just seems like an inconvenience.

And one always says in their minds, " It will never happen to me"

Because of your post I will be going to the doctor to start the process after the new year....

Also I would like to state that being the health guru I try to be, I have read countless info on fighting cancer, and trying to stay cancer free.

Im not a doctor of course and can only suggest what I know and have learned through the years. What I post below some believe and some dont so take my info how you will.

I do juice fresh veggies and the like and try to follow the gerson therapy for the past 8 years. I dont eat meat but on rare rare occasions..

You can read here about it if you like..There are many videos regarding this. just do a search.

Gerson Institute | Supporting Health and Healing with the Gerson Therapy : Gerson Institute

Last there is a man in Texas that the FDA is making jump through hoops to get his therapy approved. He is the only man I know that has a proven approach to cancer, and cures.

Also from my readings and this is just my opinion, before any chemo starts it may be better to use other methods before hand, like burzinski. Chemo affects these new processes from my readings, and understandings.

I may be wrong and off base for posting this and if I am I apologize. I just want all man kind to know their alternatives to main stream medicine..

God bless you Richard..Im not a religious man per se' as I lost faith long ago, but will say prayers for you..

Do your own research of this man please and make the phone call...

Burzynski Clinic | Advanced Alternative Cancer Treatment | Houston, Texas

Treatment List

Heidi Smith (Colon Cancer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBUGVkmmwbk

Old 12-24-16, 08:43 PM
Thank you for your prayers and I agree the stuff they give you to drink isn't really that bad but is a large container to drink and it really clears you out. Thank you Mike for the video I listened to 50 minutes of it and plan to listen to the rest later. I am certainly open to alternative methods of treatment if well proven that they work. I have time yet and I will be doing some research too and in the mean time I certainly welcome information that you hear about treatments. Again Merry Christmas too all.

Old 12-24-16, 09:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My neighbor has been through this, he is cancer free after treatment. Keep the faith, heed the words of your medical professionals and exit this on a positive note - we will see you healthy on the flip side - Happy Holidays Hedge Your not allowed to check out without prior approval. Be well and enjoy the holidays!

Old 12-25-16, 04:32 AM
I tried to send a PM but your box is full.

Old 12-25-16, 07:00 AM
I'm sorry to hear about this diagnosis.

When they say Stage 4, that usually means that the original cancer has metastasized and there's already evidence of related malignancies developing at some distance from the original lesion (in the Colon ?).

Have they recommended radiation or chemical therapy to arrest any of these remote lesions, wherever they happen to have emerged ?

I recently lost a Friend who had suffered a short bout with Melanoma (aggressive skin Cancer) 12 years ago, and had been given a clean bill of health and thought he could relax when it was discovered that the Melanoma had migrated to his Pancreas and remained dormant for over a decade before something caused it to awake and quickly shorten his life to just a few additional months after the new diagnosis.

So he died from inoperable skin cancer of the Pancreas and Liver . . . . 12 years in the making; but only 57 days after the new diagnosis.

You must remain ever vigilant. Here's wishing you good luck in getting it under control.

Last edited by Vermont; 12-25-16 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-25-16, 12:38 PM
They have recommended chemo therapy but not radiation yet. They also said I should wait at least three weeks before treatment to get my strength up. I am still weak but I am getting stronger. My mom hired a cleaning lady to help her since she has trouble walking and during my stay in the hospital she moved everything around. So right now that is my only frustration in trying to find things.

Old 12-25-16, 01:13 PM
So you're now recovering from surgery to re-section the colon after removing a few inches where the malignant growth was discovered ?

Old 12-26-16, 07:38 AM
Very sorry to hear of this, and certainly hope for the best for you and your family and friends as you go through this. We don't know each other of course, but, having worked on many hundreds if not into thousands of jobsites over the past 40+ years, I sort of think of the people I run into on forums as similar to those I have met on jobsites. Different names and faces, some clients and trades with whom I have worked closely, and some whose work just happened to be scheduled at the same time as ours with no direct intervention. Some of these individuals have been thankfully forgettable, but there have been many who have left a favorable impression, even though we will most likely never cross paths again. Maybe it was the painter who changed his plan a bit in order for us to get our equipment set, the electrician who provided us with temporary service when we caught a break in the weather and showed up a day early, or maybe it was a pipefitter with whom we had no overlapping work at all, but who happened to be on the same site and was interesting to chat with when we had a chance. Well, I don't know if this makes much sense, but, as I said, similar in my mind; people we meet along life's path, sometimes a face that we see only a few times, and sometimes a face that we never see, but their typed words indicate their willingness to help others, and to do so in a respectful manner. So, with this in mind, I do hope the best for you, because I think that you are one of the good guys in life.

Old 12-26-16, 12:56 PM
Thank you Aka Pedro for your kind words. Yes you are right Vermont they removed the tumor and re-sectioned the colon along with doing a biopsy of the liver and some of the abdomen. They say there is some in my lungs but I am able to breathe.

Old 12-26-16, 02:15 PM
Were your Lungs the only place that is currently suspected to be harboring more malignant tissue ?

It sounds like you're in good hands, and they don't feel it's urgent to deal with the lung lesion(s) until after they determine whether it will respond to the chemo (it withers).

Since you're right in Maryland, you might find it interesting to tune in to WABC (770 on the AM Dial) occasionally, where Dr. Gil Lederman has some interesting programming on the radio over night on Saturdays/Sundays. Lederman is a triple Board Certified RadiologistOncalogist/Urologist and his Clinic offers a new therapy of non-invasive focused beam radiation to treat cancer lesions on an out-patient basis. It probably wouldn't be applicable to Colon Cancer, as that target area is usually too mobile to provide fixed position target for this high intensity radiation.

You may recall former President Jimmy Carter receiving this kind of treatment for the Brain Cancer he was diagnosed with recently, and was cured (so far) without invasive brain surgery . . . . just this kind of focused beam stereotactic radiosurgery.

I've lost 5 Friends in the past 24 months, each due to a different form of cancer, and caught early enough, all of them could have been treated with this new therapy . . . . so I've begun to take a real interest in this kind of out-patient treatment.

Here's hoping your scheduled chemical therapy is effective, and that there wasn't any further metastasis. Thanks for discussing the matter; it's all around us even though many people suffer in silence.

Last edited by Vermont; 12-26-16 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-26-16, 04:51 PM
Vermont no not just the lungs but the liver as well however not too many lesions in each so I am really hopeful. At first I had a great deal of congestion in my lungs after surgery that finally went away. You are right too, too many people do suffer in silence and that therefore is the purpose of my post I wanted to advise and yes warn my good friends here so that hopefully the same doesn't happen to them. You guys just mean too much to me, you are like a second family to me here.

Old 10-21-17, 02:01 PM
Richard and all. I know this is an older thread but my post is directly related. After your reminder I started the process to get my colonoscopy, it was about 6 years from the previous, now almost a year later and still trying. Apparently they don't like high blood pressure although I think it was higher for the first visit. Currently running about 180/90 and on a several meds, but the meds only produce a short drop (150/70) so difficult to get tested and find a lower number and probably worse if I were to go in for the appointment.

I have been direct with the Dr and asked how long I will have to wait and the answer was, until the BP comes down. Apparently that isn't going to happen so I'm stuck between the proverbial rock and hard spot. I really don't know what to do, they won't do the colonoscopy with current BP and their meds aren't showing results. I'm between confused and POed.

Any thoughts on how I can get passed this road block?

Bud

Old 10-21-17, 02:32 PM
My suggestion - and I don't mean to be curt - see a different doctor. If your current doctor/meds can't get your BP down find out why and look for other options. Easy ones are diet (salt) and weight (obesity) but also tobacco, booze and stress can be major factors.

Old 10-21-17, 02:51 PM
I hear you and a different doctor has been on my list for some time, just hate to start the trail of burning bridges.
Tobacco, booze and stress are zero, except stress like this. Salt is at minimum and has helped a lot with holding fluids, I have ankles now. Weight has always been the solution I think they should be targeting but the meds they give me have weight gain as a side effect. A year ago I stopped all meds and took off 60 pounds. Numbers improved a little but that is when they insisted I get back on their meds. So I'm trying hard to follow their advice but losing confidence.

My current (almost doctor) is leaving end of month on maternity and won't be back until end of Feb so I'm thinking now would be a good time to make the doctor change, and blame it on the back and forth shift at my current practice. Major hospital opened a satellite office just 2 miles from me and wife already goes there and like it. That is probably the direction I'm going to go.

I doubt there is any problem, just me worrying, but once you get reminded (and I do thank Richard) you can't get it off of your mind. No family history but I have lost several old friends who didn't pay attention.

Thanks,
Bud
PS how you doing Richard?

Old 10-21-17, 05:58 PM
Hi been a long time since I posted in General chats. There is such a thing as virtual colonoscopy but isn't usually covered by insurance and if they see something you still need to go for a regular colonoscopy. Been having my low and high days with more low than high lately and they found a bit more in my liver so more tests need to be done. You guys have a nice weekend!

Old 10-21-17, 11:48 PM
Group Moderator
You guys have a nice weekend!
You too buddy........ thinking of you.

Old 10-22-17, 05:39 AM
Thanks Richard and I will do some reading on "virtual colonoscopy".
I suspect my wife will win on this one as she has been pushing me to change practices. If I have to retrain a new primary care anyway it might as well be at a new practice.

Thoughts and prayers.
Bud

Old 10-23-17, 01:08 PM
Hi Richard and all,

Thanks for sharing and giving us the opportunity to offer you support. You might not have met any of us in person. But I really believe in the power of positive thoughts from unseen friends who wish you the best. Dave

Old 10-23-17, 04:17 PM
Hey Hedge,

Bluesbreaker says is very well. Here's waiting for you to be as active as ever. Our prayers are with you.

Old 06-28-18, 06:24 PM
Hi Richard and another thanks for the push.
After going 2 years beyond the recommended 5, I finally got my exam and all is well. However, I had to push them far more than one would ever expect. Incomplete request info was causing rejection of the appointment and no one was following up. I finally got a bit firm and amazingly another (the 4th) request was made and an appointment set in less than a week. From there on everyone was great, one polyp removed and no other problems.

Hope all is well with you, and for others don't delay.

Bud