sneaky cops

Old 01-04-17, 08:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
sneaky cops

Had to go to a nearby town this morning for bread and tractor parts. Along the way is a narrow windy 2 lane what used to be country road. There are still a half dozen farms on that road but at least that many subdivision so they lowered the speed limit to 30 mph Except where all the houses are it can be difficult to keep your speed from rising. On the return trip I saw a car pulled over by an unmarked police car, not a crown vic or charger but an older model malibu - who would have ever thought it was a police car.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-17, 12:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Many states, mine included, require a unit used for traffic control to be fully and clearly marked.

This reduces the want a bees who slap a light (red or blue) on their dash and harass people.

I remember some years ago seeing Tenn. running Camero's.

Old 01-04-17, 01:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This reduces the want a bees who slap a light (red or blue) on their dash and harass people.
I think it was about a year ago some yahoo was going around pulling over and harassing women. He was driving an ex police car [black crown vic] just like the one my youngest son has. Before they finally caught and arrested the guy my son got pulled over a half dozen times. Fortunately he's a good bit younger with no gray hair than the description they had of the suspect. When they finally arrested the guy and impounded his car the only visible difference between the 2 cars was the wheels.

Old 01-04-17, 02:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Speaking of Camaro's. the City of Doraville, GA a while back bought a few really mean 455 SD Camaro's to patrol the main highway. Picture a town that is only a mile long with police cars that can reach 120 mph. We never saw the lucidity in that move.

Old 01-04-17, 02:44 PM
Larry, they had to be fast to catch them before they got out of town.
On our interstate they have a few mustang looking ones, could be the Dodge look alike but I didn't want to get close enough to look. But sure can catch you off guard when one without the blues on top shows up.

But I don't worry, I'm sliding into the too slow group these days.

Bud

Old 01-04-17, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Larry, sure you don't mean a 455 SD Trans Am?

I remember riding with the local highway patrol in Australia about 1980 or so. Mentioned something to him about "isn't this sort of the same car as a Mustang in the States?". He didn't say anything except to stomp the gas...about 8 seconds later we were at 190Kph. After he slowed he said "Can your Mustangs do that?". I couldn't answer because I didn't know. IIRC it was a Ford Falcon he was driving.

How about the Corvettes in TX and NC or the Caddy XLRs in MI.

Old 01-04-17, 03:16 PM
You're right, Vic, it was Trans Am's.

News Flash: Mercedes has unveiled a new pick up truck. 4 door, short bed like the Z71's. Not too sure how much it will haul, if any. I would like to be the backhoe loader that dumps the first load of gravel in it

Old 01-05-17, 06:36 PM
Around here the real cops were really worried for a while as there were police impersonators pulling people over and sometimes robbing people. Now I have heard of some of the real cops doing various crimes some in D.C. some in other areas around here. Some times it is hard to distinguish who the good guy is and who the bad guy is. Locally in my immediate area I trust the cops here. As an aside I am feeling stronger now I don't want to steal the thread just wanted to mention that.

Old 01-05-17, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
From my webpage photo gallery:

http://www.mastertowing.com/gallery021.gif

Old 01-05-17, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
The State Police here in NJ have lots of unmarked vehicles. From what I see on the highways it could almost be 50/50. No visible markings or lighting. Many don't even have an externally visible antenna.

I remember several years back a blast of Mustangs on the road.

Old 01-05-17, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
The funny thing is, is that there is a reduction in speed violations when marked units are used. And it's not just until they are out of sight. When people see someone getting a ticket or even think speeds are being checked, the effects last longer than you would think.

Old 01-05-17, 10:52 PM
Group Moderator
Getting off the path a little bit.....

This summer I had some sound rental jobs out on Long Island. I couldn't believe how the bulk of the traffic was AT the speed limit. Here, in NJ, you can't drive the speed limit on a highway.... they'll run you over.

I do agree with the marked car effect. I think it's more about the money here.

Old 01-06-17, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We used to run I-75 thru Cincinnati up to Michigan when my parents were alive. During the week that traffic was often bumper to bumper and at a crawl but I remember one Sunday morning when I was going 75 mph [55 speed limit] in the middle lane with my wife complaining I was going too slow as cars were zipping by me on both sides.

Old 01-06-17, 01:25 PM
We have a state highway that runs north out of Atlanta called GA 400, or more commonly the Alpharetta Autobahn. Left lane is WAO and not for little old ladies. If you are doing less than 80, you will get flashed over.

Old 01-07-17, 06:32 AM
Vic,
The Australian Ford Falcon is indeed equivalent to the American Mustang.
The Interceptor driven by Mad Max was a Falcon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GfwfMJOgSss