Anybody know what this is?

Old 01-07-17, 12:08 AM
Anybody know what this is?

hello,

i'm remodeling an old kitchen and found this in the pantry of the kitchen. if it's not necessary than i'd like to drywall it over.

thanks!
dennis

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-17, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
It's your doorbell transformer. If it's still functional, you would read approx 16VAC across the terminals. If you disconnect 1 side and your doorbell stops working, it's still in use. You might be able to find a cover of some sort, I dunno for sure.

If it's not functional, you'll have to pull it out and see whether the 120VAC supply is still live. If so, you'd need to disconnect it, find the feed in your panel and disconnect that before you could patch the hole.

Old 01-07-17, 03:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most I've seen are uncovered although most are stuck in a closet out of sight. Only about half of the ones in hallways or wherever were covered. While all the new houses I've painted had them in closets quite a few of the older homes had the transformers in plain view.

Old 01-07-17, 07:12 AM
Mine was attached to the outside of my service entry panel. When I had the panel replaced I went wireless.

If you do away with it, be aware that you may have to fool around a bit with the wireless to prevent false rings.

Old 01-07-17, 07:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Be aware if there is line voltage in the junction box, you can't just cover over it. The junction box and its cover must remain accessible. NOW, if you deactivate it from the panel, cutting the leads too short to be viable and do the same in this junction box, then you can remove the junction box and repair the hole.

Old 01-08-17, 12:17 AM
thanks everybody! i'll check to see if there is any voltage running across it. most likely will take it out, cap the ends with wire nuts and put a plastic cover on it so that it will be accessible in the future.

thanks again!

Old 01-08-17, 04:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That is the best move. That way if needed for a future door bell it will be there.