How snow affects different areas of the country

Credit to 103.5 WMIZ

Name:  snow.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  53.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-17, 02:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Locally anytime the forecast is for snow accumulation there is a run on the stores to buy out all the bread and milk Doesn't make sense to me but then I never have been one to live with bare cupboards.

Back int the 70's I was painting at Ft Chaffee which along with neighboring Ft Smith got several inches of snow. My 2 wheel drive pickup had no trouble getting to the fort but I was denied entrance because they said the weather was too bad for the firemen to be relieved - no one was allowed to work I did notice several vehicles in the ditch during my round trip. Not sure why folks loose their commonsense when traveling in the snow!

Old 01-09-17, 03:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The thing East Coasters and Midwesterners don't have that we have in the South is snow>moderating temperatures>snow slightly melting>temperatures dropping>BLACK ICE.
Although the snow was over on Saturday at 5", and low temps were hovering around zero, thermal sun causes it to melt a little and refreeze. We couldn't work today because the jobsite was at a higher elevation and steep secondary roads. Tomorrow will be fine and we'll be back to normal on Wednesday.

Old 01-09-17, 03:18 PM
Makes sense to me. Some people are accustomed to or experienced with snow because they've been through it many times before and others haven't. Beyond that, many cars in warm weather climates have tires designed for those places and not all-weather tires.

Also, communities with infrequent snow have less equipment and less developed plans for how to deal with it. I remember being in Toronto 40 years ago and watching specially designed plows clean sidewalks into waiting trucks that took the snow away. They really know how to handle it up there.

Finally, of course there's the guy who believes his all-wheel vehicle is a license to drive with abandon in snow, only to find out 4-wheel vehicles go best in snow but that doesn't correlate to stopping.

Old 01-09-17, 03:41 PM
What I hate is the hype the news stations pile on when any minor storm is coming out way. They broadcast like it's the end of the world, live cam on an overpass, at a salt yard, at that one guy at Home Depot buying a shovel, really!

Old 01-09-17, 03:47 PM
The chart is spot on except I would name ME, NH ,VT exceptions to the East Coast. People in those states can handle it - except the Massachusetts immigrants of course. Southern NE is a mix. Many people know how to handle it but many others freak out.

In the early 70's I was stationed in Charleston. I lived in Summerville and we got 17" of snow. I still have the newspaper account of the storm in a box somewhere. What a hoot! People had no clue and you would have thought the world was ending.

Glare ice is not restricted to the south. It's very common in coastal areas of the northeast.

Old 01-09-17, 03:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I remember back in the 90's, Newark airport snow removal consisted of front end loaders dumping massive quantities of snow into large rings with propane flames shooting on the inside melting the snow to water so it would drain under it into a storm drain. Think about it.....deicing compound, snow, melting and running into the East River. No wonder there are mutant fish living there

Old 01-09-17, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
Well, growing up in OH, I saw plenty of snow, and enjoyed it greatly. Even better when I could drive. My Dad, as I remember, had no problem with me taking the car or the truck to the local school parking lot to do donuts. I guess he figured I'd learn something. I must have because my GTO tires spun late one night in '75-'76 coming home from work and I started a slow 180. Unfortunately it was just before a 2 lane bridge at the bottom of the slope. I didn't panic, I just tried to keep it straight and went across mostly backwards. If I'd braked or spun the wheel, I might not be typing this now.

Now when it snows up around Flagstaff, I look at the weather and can't figure out why all these people are crashing. I guess it's because they think if they can drive 55mph on the Interstate, they can just slow down a little and take exits at 45mph. Sorry Bubba, that's not the way it works. They normally close about a 10-20 mile section of I 40 up there whenever they get more than 2" or so. Of course it drifts really bad in the mountains. Little clearing equipment either.

I have to disagree with the chart. The items for the Midwest sound more like the Northwest to me. We don't do Yoga in the Midwest. We call it farming at least.

Old 01-10-17, 06:31 AM
When I was a kid we used to skitch on the lake. The driver would get up to 20-30 mph, slam on the brakes and spin the steering wheel. The trick was to see how many donuts you could survive before being spun off. Really dumb and the amazing thing was that no one ever got hurt.

We also had impromptu drag races - no tire chains allowed.