Oops! Ouch!

Old 01-12-17, 12:29 PM
Oops! Ouch!

Remember those label warnings about not standing on the top step of a stepladder? How about the ones warning against placing a ladder on ice or frozen ground? Guess what! They're true. Especially when you are old and clumsy.

We're having a heat wave (55*P so I decided it was a good time to take down the rest of the Christmas lights. I placed my stepladder under a tree and climbed up. I couldn't quite reach the top strand so I climbed up on the last step. You know, the one with the big no step label. One of the ladder feet chose that time to break through the layer of frozen ground and sink in a couple of inches. It felt like slo mo as I fell off the ladder and hit the hard frozen ground. First my knee, then my hip and last my shoulder.

After getting my breath back I determined A. Nothing broke and B. That was really stupid. Now I'm sore all over and sitting here looking at my swollen knee wondering if I should go to the ER.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-17, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
If you never do anything dumb, you never have any good stories to tell.

Geez, I wish I didn't have so many good stories to tell....

Old 01-12-17, 02:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Couldn't count the times I've stood on the top of a stepladder. Never fell off the top but there have been several times I've rode an extension ladder to the ground and once I had an aluminum stepladder crumple and throw me .... not sure how I landed in an open garbage can.

Glad you didn't get hurt too bad!!!

Old 01-12-17, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
I shouldn't mention in an open forum that I have have been guilty of putting a couple of 2x10s across sawhorses and the step ladder on the 2x10s. cathedral ceiling, a ceiling fan and a six foot step ladder.

Old 01-12-17, 04:46 PM
Since we are confessing our ladder mistakes. When I was younger I could place a ladder against a building and if I needed a few inches to left or right I could hop the ladder over to avoid getting down and back up. Well a couple of years ago (much older but not wiser) I tried that and ended much the same as you. First the air turned blue then over the next few days parts of my body did the same.

The only good thing, besides not killing myself, no one was watching and no cameras were running. Lesson learned, finally.

Bud

Old 01-12-17, 09:47 PM
I did that myself years ago only it was when I was trimming a tree. I was up too high and trying to use a long hand powered tree trimmer and fell on my backside. I was really sore for a while but luckily no broken bones. I had an audience though of my neighbors in the back and they all asked if I was o.k. and I said yes. So I was embarrassed but grateful at least that people cared enough to ask if I was o.k.. Well the old tree was destroyed by a storm and was taken down by a professional several years ago so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Old 01-13-17, 03:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have have been guilty of putting a couple of 2x10s across sawhorses and the step ladder on the 2x10s. cathedral ceiling, a ceiling fan and a six foot step ladder.
I've spent a good portion of my life working off of ladders and have done a lot of non OSHA approved things with them. Once when I was a broke employee I had to set a 36" ladder on top of a van, scotched by the ladder racks to paint a gable Probably wouldn't have done that if I wasn't broke!

Another time [different company] my ladder wasn't long enough and the boss came by so I told him. He said set the ladder in your truck to which I responded 'I did but still too short' So he says 'my truck is taller' but it wasn't tall enough so he set a 5 gallon bucket of paint under each leg, still too short so he doubled up them ...... I just stood there and he finally asked if I was scared to climb the ladder, I replied yes so he climbed up and finished the painting.

When I built the original part of my barn/shop all I had was a 5' stepladder, saw horses and the manure bucket on my tractor ..... but I was 25 yrs younger and motivated