deer whistle

Old 01-17-17, 03:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
deer whistle

Does anyone know if those little deer whistles [or whatever they are called] that you mount on the exterior of a car are any good? My son hit a deer last month, parts came in last week, I painted them and he put his car back together Saturday ..... and this evening he hit another deer close to the same place he hit the first one. Best he can tell in the dark there was no damage this time!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-17, 03:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Read someplace that they do no good, Saying that I have heard some people swear by them.

Old 01-17-17, 03:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm aware of them and have seen them on a few vehicles but that is the extent of what I know.
Maybe my son just needs a lucky charm or something

Old 01-17-17, 03:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I need one also. Had my car 12 years and no dents, At sister in laws and somebody ran into side. Left no note. that 2 weeks later a deer ran into other side. Car old enough it is not worth fixing so now we have dents in both sides.

Old 01-17-17, 04:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The theory of the whistles is that they are of frequencies too high for humans, and at a discourse to each other so that they actually cause sound vibrations, which affect the deer.

The last car wifey had I put them on and no deer hits. I could see deer way out in front of the vehicle and their attention would turn my way. Now whether it was the noise of the engine of the whistles, is purely speculation. Current car, no whistles, and two hits. Both from the side so minimal damage, but I am sure the last one had a lingering headache.

Old 01-18-17, 08:32 AM
Group Moderator
I tried them long ago. The deer don't act any differently with the whistle versus none. I suspect that when you're driving fast enough to make them whistle (if they actually do) that the road noise of the car is making more noise).

Old 01-19-17, 09:42 AM
I agree I don't believe they do anything.

Old 01-19-17, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Seems like everyone is either a true believer in them or a skeptic .... which is pretty much what I had heard prior to starting this thread. Ultimately it will be up to my son whether he gets one or not although with most of them costing less than $10, I think I'd get one just in case they work Can't believe he hit another deer just days after repairing his car - at least this time it was more of a bump than a hit.

Old 01-19-17, 10:28 AM
I'm very lucky so far. Never hit a dear but have seen many darting out that very well could've been a hit. Not so lucky other family members (that's them hitting dear, not me hitting them). However, I am a very defensive driver and always aware that a dear may jump out. But even at that, it's almost impossible to avoid as they jump out from the road gulleys and itches.

And of course, if you see one, several more will follow.

I did have one just barely graze my back bumper once as he jumped as I was passing.

Old 01-19-17, 11:37 AM
Try them, if he hits another deer you will have your answer..

Old 01-19-17, 06:37 PM
Live in heavy deer country. Have 210,000 miles on my deer whistle equipped pickup with no deer contacts. Several close calls. Can't make that claim for the previous vehicles without whistles.
Skunk hits are way up there.
Will always have the whistles. $10 or so.
Know an insurance agent that gives his customers deer whistles when they insure with him.

RR

Old 01-24-17, 06:30 AM
Before installing deer whistles.... I would come around a corner and there would be a deer standing in the middle of the road staring at my car. This would happen several times a year.

After installing deer whistles, this has not happened again (in 8 years). I have two mounted on the top of my front bumper.