Go figure

Old 01-24-17, 02:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Go figure

I'm tearing down an old house, most of it's down I still have the bath rm addition to finish taking down. The bath was added in the 70's and has masonite siding. We all know what a poor excuse for siding that is, the only chance it has of withstanding the weather is a good oil primer and kept painted. All the exposed siding is in poor shape. The bath rm was built next to a chimney with the last 4' of the lap siding not nailed and the 3' that is between the chimney and bath rm was never painted. There was no flashing between the chimney and the bath rm roof. Yet when I pulled those pieces of siding out the last 3' was in great shape, a little dusty but no swelling - almost looked new!

Maybe even without flashing the rain never found it's way in between the addition and the brick. All I know is I was amazed when I pulled the siding out!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-17, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
What, they don't use bulldozers to tear down houses in Tennessee.

Masonite siding. What a wonderful invention for the starving carpenters and painters. Saddest thing I encountered was a below poverty line customer that had a house built and given to her by a charity. She was so happy about her new home. I was really saddened when I saw the Masonite siding.

Old 01-25-17, 03:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A backhoe would be nice but I don't own one or a dozer ......... and no budget to hire it out. A lot of the house needs to be torn down in a specific direction as one side of the house was only 3'-5' off of the road.