What an honor...

Old 02-02-17, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What an honor...

I feel the need to share

One of my favorite clients passed away yesterday. I regard him as the nicest most caring individual I have ever met. I'm a home improvement contractor and these are clients of mine. I got a call from his wife this evening asking if I would be a pallbearer at his funeral. I am both honored and in tears that of all the family, relatives, cousins and such, she chose me. I'm beside myself. What a beautiful gift. I'm sitting here crying....

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-17, 07:24 PM
That sure is an honor, Chris. I don't know you, but that tells me a lot about how you must treat your clients.

Old 02-02-17, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
I agree.... that is an honor.

Old 02-02-17, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
A great testimonial to the quality of your service to your customers.

Old 02-03-17, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thank you guys!

Over the years I pointed out many discrepancies in the services provided by other contractors. Particularly things that involved crawling under the house. The wife had complained about it being chilly in the area of her desk. They called out an HVAC tech who said that an expensive damper system was needed because the desk was so far away from the heater on the far end of the house. I crawled under the house and found that the duct feed off the main branch had fallen. Took a picture and fixed the duct. They used the picture to get a refund on the service call. They used another company to replace the heat pump and air handler. They paid extra to have the ducts cleaned. While I was repairing some wood rot on a main support beam, I had to drop the HVAC main trunk line to gain access to the beam. I noted how dirty it was in the duct work and brought it to their attention. Again, I took pictures, he was furious and went to the owner of the company (who I'm sure fired a couple of techs). The owner then replaced 100% of the duct work with new instead of cleaning at no cost to the owner.

Just a couple of stories of a 10+ year relationship. Every time they had something done by another company, I would get a call to check to make sure it was done right. I would stop by, inspect and then sit down for a long conversation about whatever was on their minds. I never charged for the inspections as I had made enough doing bathroom remodels, painting the exterior of the house, etc. He has recently been in a convalescence home, last time I saw him, I brought him some home made Kapusta (Polish cabbage dish) telling him, "I don't know what these savages feed you around here, but thought you could use some real food!" He was Polish and we often talked about that half of my heritage.

They also employed my youngest daughter as a dog walker when she was 14. We made business cards for her and wrote up a contract that she would walk their dog (a sheltie) on set days for $5. They always gave her $10. My daughter would also go over at Christmas and help decorate the tree and house. She also stayed late one year and they made Christmas Cookies together. Yeah, my daughter is pretty beat up about this as well.

Old 02-03-17, 04:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My condolences Czizzi........