Craigslist

Old 02-03-17, 05:26 AM
Craigslist

Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experiences that they are willing to share. Being typical Americans, my wife and I have too much stuff, some of which continues to be set aside for local rummage sales, some of which continues to be set aside for friends or relatives, but some of it has genuine value for which I would like to get something. And yes, I have bought and sold enough things over the years to know that I am most likely not going to get all of what my gut might say it's worth, but I accept and can deal with that. I have had some success in the past setting items at the road with a "for sale" sign, but we live in the country, and know probably 9 out of 10 people who drive past, so it's not ideal for a lot of things. So I'm thinking of giving it a try. Several of the items that I want to try it with would fit nicely in my enclosed trailer, so thinking that I could unload or toss a tarp over tools at the front of the trailer, load the item in the back, and meet someone at a mutually convenient big box parking lot or whatever, during daylight hours. Seems plausible to me, but wife remains apprehensive, so just curious what anyone here has to say. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-17, 05:52 AM
I've sold hundreds of things on Craig's list and had no real bad issues.
I'd be more concerned for your safety if you where the one coming with cash to buy an item from the seller.
There's hundreds of scams everyday on there on items for sale.
I check everyday in the Farm and Garden and Heavy Equipment forums and delate tons of them.
A tractor or skid loader that should sell for about $14,000 being sold for $2352, HMM
Oddball price, upper and lower case letters, out of state phone #, only want's you to text, are just some of the warning signs.
I've sold an enclosed trailer, P/U truck, boat's, table saws, jointer, planner, dump trailer, and dozens of smaller items.
Not likely someone going to knock you in the head to try and steal a bunch of yard sale items.
There always going to try and talk you down on price, take cash only, only expect to get about 40% of cost new so price it at 50% so they think there getting a deal.
We bought a bass boat for $1500.00 on Craig's List, used it two years and resold it on Craigs List for $2700.00.
I just bought a 15 HP DR Field and Brush Mower with the snow blower attachment that looked like brand new with a whole box of replacement parts for $1100.00, new cost would have been $3300.00.
It was owned by a 70 year old man that found out after buying it that it was to hard for him to use.

Old 02-03-17, 05:56 AM
I've not sold on Craigslist, but have bought many items with no issues. Around here, several communities encourage sellers and buyers to meet in the police department parking lot, seems like a good idea to me. There are cameras, and any dangerous freaks are unlikely to want to meet there.

Old 02-03-17, 06:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife [a caregiver] has gotten several jobs off of craigslist but also got a scam job offer. I was leery right off but my wife wasn't ..... until they sent her a stolen check to cash. She reported it but I doubt anything was done. I agree any face to face business is best done in a public setting. One of our local police depts condones these meetings in their parking lot.

Old 02-03-17, 06:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is my go to for garage sale listings in our area. My early Saturday morning ritual is to map out the days route. Great as we needed to up fit my daughters new apartment at school.

Old 02-03-17, 06:49 AM
Great! Now I can tell my wife that some people on the internet said it's okay. No, just kidding. I really do appreciate the comments. Got just what I was hoping for as far as feedback from people I see here regularly, and, although we have not met, I do trust what all of you have told me. Mark, sorry to hear of the bad experience, but sounds like you have pluses to go along with that one minus. So we'll see how it goes. I told the wife that I would kick it around one more day, and your comments wrap it up for me, so we'll take some pictures later today or in the morning and hopefully start cleaning house. Thank you again.

Old 02-03-17, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
I'm a little leery of CL. I haven't bought anything there, but did sell a couple of things and they came to my house! But they were too big to take to them. One was a new Ikea bed, and one was an industrial sewing machine with a table. I was lucky they were legit, but I think it depends what you're selling. Both I had to sell for way less than I wanted.
I think I prefer Ebay, but of course it's not free. I've sold a few things there and always got what, or even more than, I wanted and it's safer!

Old 02-03-17, 08:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have bought & sold some stuff on Craigslist but your right, its not going to go for close to what its worth.... generally. Most stuff on craigslist either stays on there for months if it aint cheap. Again, I have bought & sold some stuff on CL & done ok/fair.

I agree with marksr & is something I was already going to suggest before reading his post, ask teh buyer to meet you at the police or sheriffs department to make the transaction. Also, dont hesitate to walk inside & ask for an officer to come out & witness the transaction. Normally, if its a scammer, once you mention police, you wont hear back from them. If its legit, they wont mind & will probably be glad to meet you there to ensure YOU are legit... and your stuff is legit & not stolen etc.

Old 02-03-17, 10:03 AM
Have bought and sold tons of stuff on CL from firewood to cars and to date never a bad experience.

The biggest deterrent that I use for selling is simply stating no phone, no response and deleting all email that can not follow that simple request.

It's like anything else, if it's too good to be true it probably isn't, use your common sense.

Have actually met some really interesting folks!

Old 02-03-17, 11:00 AM
Great! Thank you for the additional comments. I'm not keen on the idea of people coming to the house, although may have to go that route at some point, but I'm starting out with trailerable items so that we can meet at a safe location. Didn't include in my original post when I mentioned big box parking lots, but do have a couple of friends in law enforcement, and know that their departments allow such things in their lots, so that should probably be first choice, depending on what sounds convenient for the other party too. Am sure it's like anything else in life, most people are good, but one never knows. Again, thank you.

Old 02-03-17, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
I found my current work truck on Craigslist... a 2013 F150, and couldn't be happier with the whole exchange... great truck, great price, was a very nice older couple in Iowa.

They were smart and only accepted cashiers checks.

Old 02-03-17, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
I can also echo the comments from the others. Craigslist is my go to place for buying or selling used stuff, especially if it is something I can not ship easily. Just be sure to keep your head on straight and use caution.

If a buyer wants to send you a check and you just put it in your bank account? Pass. If a buyer wants to help you sell it? Pass.

While I have done the "meet in a public place" thing, I have gone to peoples houses to buy or people came to my house for something I am selling. I never had an issue, although I have been known to be carrying just in case, and mostly feel kind of stupid for doing so because the people I meet are so nice.

One other avenue to look at is Facebook groups. There are groups that people set up for buying and selling items. It is free and easy to browse items that your interested in within the group. What is also nice is if you link your Craigslist ad, Facebook will automatically transfer the ad over. Many cases these are private groups and need to request to be let in. This is not just with your friends too.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 02-04-17 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-04-17, 02:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We have local yard sale sites on FB. I get rid of a ton of stuff off jobsites that are perfectly good, and I just can't see dumping them. Light fixtures, sinks, removed doors and windows in frames. Generally things too big to ship. Plus most of the buyers are local or in the North Georgia area. One of our grocery stores has an area behind the fuel station where everyone knows it is well lit and two cameras are trained on the area for exchanges, for safety.

Old 02-04-17, 05:47 AM
No way would I have excepted a certified check!
That's one of the many scams used on Craig's List.
That and using Western Union.
They pay you with a counterfeit check, make off with the item and all the signed papers and your left holding the bag.
Cash only.

Old 02-04-17, 08:32 AM
Yes, cash only is all that I had in mind. I have to share a short story though of what happened on my way to my first Craigslist sale. First up was an inversion table that a doctor recommended for my wife's back problem a few years ago. (It turned out to be a completely incorrect diagnosis, and subsequent hip replacements have her fully functional again, but that's another story.) Meanwhile, she did like the inversion table, so has continued to use it, albeit less and less frequently, so it was taking up space more than anything else. Then I mentioned to a buddy that I was going to sell it, and he said that he might be interested, so, just as I would have done, he googled it or whatever to see which one it was. He then let me know that there was a safety recall on it, and that we might want to look into it, so it turned out that we returned it this morning for a full refund.

Old 02-04-17, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Wow, what luck! Did much better on that then you would have done on Craigslist!

I'll share a short story on that Ikea bed and mattress I sold there. The Philadelphia Eagles needed a bed in case the quarterback at the time, needed to sleep there since he lived in NJ. They actually haggled down the price with me as if they couldn't afford to pay more! What cheapstakes!