walkie talkies

Old 02-13-17, 12:15 PM
walkie talkies

I have a pair of walkie talkies that I bought for dad and I to take deer hunting, and I won't go so far as to say they're vintage, but dad has been gone for over 30 years, and I'm thinking we used them for maybe 10 years prior, so they're not exactly state of the art. Still in very good shape, even stored in the original boxes, and a buddy said they worked great when he borrowed them 10 years or so ago while they were surveying a large piece of property or something like that. Probably Realistic brand. Anyway, trying to clean out the closets a bit, and just wondering if anyone has an idea if something like that is worth anything to anybody now that almost everyone carries a cell phone, or best to just put them out with the trash.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-17, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Don't think you'd get more than a few dollars, so I'd put them out with the trash. 10 years ago, maybe you could have got something, but not today.

Old 02-13-17, 12:26 PM
Group Moderator
Give them to the kids. They'll really appreciate them.

Old 02-13-17, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
I am familiar with some Realistic vintage walkie talkie radios and there were a few models that were more than just a toy.
They are likely Citizens Band frequency.

If you can get the model number and maybe a picture we can look at it more closely.

I have been told I am vintage.

Old 02-13-17, 12:40 PM
Trash it is, and the sooner the better, before I change my mind and continue to move around them. That's what I figured, but, being old school, not part of the throw-away crowd, figured it didn't hurt to get someone else's opinion. As for kids, none of our own, although do have a couple of 12 year old nephews, but their parents never fully grew up I guess because it seems that every time I see the boys they have a new phone. And I don't imagine too many people today would get it if I told them these radios look close to the one that Vic Morrow used. (The youngsters are probably going to have to google that one in order to find my most favorite tv series!)

Old 02-13-17, 12:45 PM
There you go Greg. I will check that out, google it, and let you know. But yes, I believe they are in the CB range, and can't remember for sure, but thinking they came with 2 crystals(?) so we had 2 frequencies, and maybe slots for a few more. Probably doesn't change anything as far as heading to the trash, but might at least be interesting for someone to see some of the changes in communication over the years.

Old 02-13-17, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Many of those old radios were low power/range and not much more than a toy but some were a full 1 watt up to 3 watts of output power which would have more range than the current FRS radios.....albeit with a wee bit of static.

Old 02-13-17, 02:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had a set when I was a kid that we used for hunting, around the 40 acre farm & play. I think these also had two frequencies & were CB channels 11 & 14 if I remember right. They were pretty good radios.

When my wife & I ran hot shot (dually & 40' gooseneck trailer) we used walkie talkies occasionally. But the one's now days aren't very good. We must have bought 4 or 5 sets of these things in two years. You can buy a pair of these new ones for about $25 so its not likely that you will easily sell these old ones with only 2 channels for much, if at all.

Its a shame to throw them away but reality is, what it is.

I do know that you can still buy "hand held CB's" but they are 40 ch.

Old 02-13-17, 02:50 PM
Realistic model TRC-99C, 3 watts and 3 channels, so were probably as good as I remember. Oh well, time and technology has passed them by. And a little more than a "wee bit of static", Greg (but sounds like you knew that!). As I recall, a lot more sometimes, and fumbling with the squelch on a cold day probably was not a lot of fun, but I did say "probably", because no bad memories from those days with dad; only good ones!

Old 02-13-17, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Don't hurt them. :NO NO NO:
If in good working condition they would fetch about $50.00 on eB.

Old 02-13-17, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Man dont throw them out...!!! That brought back memories as I had those as a kid... Its a shame if you do because once their gone no one will ever get them back..

Before throwing them out post them on Crais list or something and give them away free..

There is always a place in someones heart for that item,... especially my age group of 50+ years old.

Man I was a ham radio operator in my youth KA2OTG, and had all types or radios...

They were 3 channel I believe and we had several crystals with the different channels we wanted..

Such a shame IMO...

Old 02-13-17, 03:40 PM
Geez, you guys aren't helping at all. I am very blessed to still be married to my one and only bride, so neither of us ever had to "forfeit" anything, and you surely realize how much "stuff" an over 60 couple can accumulate! I was so proud of myself, having made a decision, and now you say don't do it. But, putting first things first, I guess that I should at least put some batteries in them (10 AA in each radio!), and make sure they both work. I remember now that I always removed the batteries when we weren't using them, so I told the guy who I mentioned borrowing them 10 years or so ago that he would have to put batteries in them, and specifically remember telling him to remove them when he was done. Well, it was probably two years later that it occurred to me to check, and, sure enough, he had left the batteries in them. One or two of the batteries had gassed, or whatever they do, and I got all of the gunk off of the terminals, but some had gotten on the crystal area, and it's not bad, but a little bit of green there. We keep batteries ahead, so have enough for both, and guess that I should check them out this weekend before deciding for sure. They obviously have the most sentimental value to me, but we have a house overflowing with sentiment, so maybe will try selling. I'm just dipping my toes into Craigslist though, so not sure how deep I want to tread for $50 or so.

Old 02-13-17, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
I can sympathize with owning things that used to be pretty valuable but are now obsolete. Case in point my Canon A-1 SLR camera with several lenses plus a backup body. Can't bring myself to toss them, but sometimes I throw a roll of film in and relieve the "old" days before digital cameras and smart phones.

Old 02-13-17, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
Hey TG,
I have an A-1 with a motor drive, a 28-200/3.5, a 35-70/3.5 and a Vivitar 283 and a Vivitar 285 HV + other goodies FS.
Interested?
Living in the woods I haven't had the luxury of film or processing that was affordable for quite some time.

Old 02-13-17, 08:45 PM
i wouldn't toss them if they work. Drop them off at Goodwill instead.

Old 02-14-17, 04:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oh, gosh, John, don't bring up film cameras! I got rid of my darkroom equipment way too early, but made good money on it (Besler 23c with cold light). But what broke my heart was selling my Minolta XE7 bodies (3), a gaggle of lenses, filters, flash.....the whole gambit for pennies on the dollar, literally.

Old 02-14-17, 04:46 AM
Yup, still have a full camera bag containing my Minolta XD11, several lenses, pistol grip flash extender, etc. Must have bought it in 1980 or 1981, because it replaced the X9 (?) that disappeared from my gear during a gas stop in Arizona while on a cross country motorcycle trip. I thought about dumping it whenever it was that 35mm film disappeared from the shelves, but decided to hold onto it, so need to figure what to do with it one of these days too.

Old 02-14-17, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks, Greg, but I'm pretty well set, 2 bodies + 28mm, 50mm, 70-210mm, and a 500mm mirror lens. Plus a 2x adapter, motor drive, macro adapter and an assortment to filters! Broke one of my favorite lenses, a 35-105, on deployment back in early 90's when I dropped it.

Don't know where I would process film locally, the last few times I shot some I did it via mail order processing.

Daughter is now the photo bug in the family and has a nice Canon DSLR, she has three shots entered at State Fair (mounting & matting by your truly) that we'll get to see if she got any ribbons Saturday.

Here's my favorite picture of hers:

Name:  P6150246 (Medium).jpg
Views: 126
Size:  42.8 KB

Old 02-14-17, 01:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's some plumbing leak Really it is a good picture.

Old 02-14-17, 01:30 PM
Group Moderator
That must be a very old picture. I don't see any safety railings and fall warning signs.

Old 02-14-17, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Really, especially considering it's in California.