Building new bridge

Old 03-02-17, 08:00 AM
Building new bridge

New bridge going up here over a mine pit, 200' above water, and I'm wondering what they are putting on now. Must be something they can pour the concrete on?

Larger crane left a few weeks ago after getting the big pieces up, now a slightly smaller one is finishing I guess.

Clicking on the picture will zoom in and out.

https://oxblue.com/delay/28ad0ddabae...urrent.jpg?ts=

Way too high for me.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-17, 08:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
200 feet is pretty high, it can be dizzying. That's the same height as the San Diego Coronado Bridge which was designed to pass an Aircraft Carrier (although the carriers do not pass). Your bridge looks nice.

I believe they lay down steel to support the roadbed.

Old 03-02-17, 11:52 AM
Royal Gorge Bridge in Colorado. 1000' plus. When we crossed it i thought my wife was going to stroke out.
Name:  Royal_Gorge_Bridge_(looking_west).jpg
Views: 135
Size:  42.3 KB

Brian - I once replaced a radar pedestal drive motor on the USS Saratoga. I believe it was on the 0-10 level. Not a comfortable job in the days before harnesses and dyna brakes. All we had were linesman's belts.

Old 03-02-17, 01:05 PM
1000'+ and people can be up there to build these things, unreal. I wasn't happy building my single story garage.

Old 03-02-17, 02:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It takes a special bread I'm more than comfortable on any size ladder leaning up against a bldg but not so much if I have to climb high up on a tall step ladder in the middle of a room. If you feel safe and use your head - you're probably ok but anyone that is scared is generally better off staying on the ground.

Old 03-02-17, 03:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
CW, It's a little late, but it's dangerous dangling above a flight deck. Ah the days before safety..

The bridge you posted is definitely scary and beautiful. I was driving to Palm Springs recently, near Mount San Jacinto (79), and just looking over the edge of the road would make some people bail out.
The mountain is over 8,000 ft so you're probably looking down about 3,000 or more.
To my wife 3,000 ft = sick.

Old 03-02-17, 03:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The first time I crossed the Tombigbee bridge outside Selma, Alabama was scary. It has a metal grate system for a roadbed. You can literally look down through it to the river below. Not all that high, but I would think it needed more support.

Old 03-02-17, 05:13 PM
Admin Emeritus
My 2 Cents ()

Like or dislike high places doesn't really matter.

This is one place to put on your bucket list: Grand Canyon Skywalk

Been there and done that. Watched some of as it was being built. Rest seen on TV show. Well worth ones time watching that show, IMO.

One of the very best tourist attractions ever! IMO. Nobody I know of would walk on it, except me. Not that I am a dare devil, risk taker nor like high places. Had a few brief doubts until I saw the crowds lined up. Young and old alike in line and those already out there.

Second best attraction, after I was out there, was watching faces as they first entered on the onto the glass... Third best when they looked DOWN! Between their shoes...HA HA...

A spectacular once in a life time tourist attraction. Out that way be sure to visit it. Be advised road up to it is mostly cement wash board on a dirt road. County maintained. Very bumpy and extremely dusty. So much so you'll have 1/2 inch or more dust on your vehicle.

Visibility driving up there is almost zero. So much dust can't barely see 15 feet ahead of your vehicle. Until on the Indian reservation roadway about last 1/4 mile of smooth asphalt road. Enjoy yourself while up there. Now you have to go back same way you went up...

TIP: Take the bus up! You'll be glad you did...

Old 03-02-17, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good call Sharp on the skywalk.
Here's a pic of son and friend having fun.

Name:  AXX1-EASN6G-6660-MIKE.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  view.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  29.0 KB

Old 03-03-17, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator
I'l try to restrain myself on comments about the Skywalk. Let's just say that it's not the actual Grand Canyon, it's one of the side canyons and the prices to get to it are ridiculous. Unless something has changed in the last few years, you can't drive your own car out there. You HAVE to pay to ride the shuttle the last 1/4 mile or so. You also cannot take your own pictures and IIRC it's something like $50 for 2 or three pics. The Wiki page is sadly out of date. They run about 1M visitors a year so approx $75M gross. Yet they still need grants to have a small bus service on the res or to get the road paved. And oh, btw, they took over the entire operation and hosed the developer out of about $30M and his share of any future profits. He died during litigation when they declared Tribal Sovereignty and the case needed to be heard in a "fair and impartial" Tribal court. Another btw, the Tribe only has about 2000 members.

I found the Boulder Dam and Mike O'Callaghan–Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge bypass to be way more impressive. I saw it built from the stubs on the canyon walls to when they started laying the decking. I actually got to go out and walk on it before it was open to traffic. 900ft straight down to the Colorado. Looking at the dam from the bridge even makes the dam look small. The Dam tour is also worth every nickle. The water running down the walls and walking into the huge turbine room? Whew. Did you know they built the bridge from each side and met in the middle? That's some impressive engineering.

Never been to the Royal Gorge, but maybe sometime. Have done the New River Gorge, that's way the heck up there as well.

I'm like the other squids, it was only an LST (prob only 125 ft or so?), but when you are replacing a stovepipe antenna dangling from just a strap and your feet braced against the rungs (rods, steps?) welded to the mast like a lumberjack or lineman, and you are swaying 5-6ft back and forth (AT THE PIER!!), it feels plenty far up. Well, someone had to loosen the bolts and disconnect the cable so the crane could lasso it, lift it off and bring up the new one. Riding up in a crane bucket seems kind of un-manly after that.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 03-03-17 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-03-17, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only bridge I remember that made me nervous was a little bridge in Kentucky back in the 70's. When I road my bike across it the front tire would depress a board which would pop back up and hit the frame before being knocked back down by the rear tire. It wasn't a tall bridge, just on a back road crossing a creek.

I don't think my wife has ever been on a real tall bridge but we made a wrong turn once and crossed a lake north of Knoxville on a long bridge with that curved across the lake - she didn't like that and still mentions it occasionally. I remember as a kid my mother wouldn't ride across the Mackinaw bridge unless her eyes were closed.

Old 03-03-17, 04:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife hates bridges so I don't tell her when we go over one. Scariest bridge I ever went over was one going to New Port RI on 138. This was back in 70's and top of bridge was a medal grid that made tires feel like they were sliding all over the place. Royal Gorge GF at time would not go on it. I had to walk across alone.

Old 03-14-17, 10:02 PM
Someone mentioned Royal Gorge Bridge on this thread. I walked on this bridge in the early 1990's. I'll never forget it. There were really strong winds, and there was an undulating or wavelike motion felt on the bridge. It was definitely unsettling. Beautiful surrounding countryside also.

Old 05-16-17, 08:23 AM
Newspaper says they will lay concrete this month, guess that is what that yellow thing does?

That orange thing in the background that goes back to the end of the bridge, is that a conveyor or something that takes the concrete out there, I've never seen any trucks on the bridge?

Name:  CONCRETE.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  16.1 KB

Old 05-16-17, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
I can understand the work area they built under the bridge. Normally that would be removed after construction but since it's a quarry I wonder if they will leave it?

The orange thing does look like a conveyor. As they move out they add another section to get the length they need.

Old 05-16-17, 11:24 AM
... I wonder if they will leave it?
After looking at Google Earth I'll bet it will stay as a dam and the mining company will pump everything out to the south.

47 30 57.77N 92 31 22.86W

This is almost 2 years ago when they were making roads in to build it.

Just southeast you see the mine pit that they want to extend toward the new bridge. Sure seems like a lot of bucks just to extend the pit that little ways for some taconite and remove the current highway.

Good workers up here, way ahead of schedule and under budget.

Old 05-16-17, 02:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
On a similar note, I-85 right smack in the middle of Downtown Atlanta corridor was severely damaged by dopers starting a fire under it and stored material caught fire making it a true inferno. Bridge collapsed in at least 2 sections causing major traffic problems. That was 2 months ago. Both northbound and southbound lanes were opened this past Monday. I think the workers did a superb job, considering the pressure they were under.

Now, I know nothing about concrete, but I wonder if the accelerants they used to cure the concrete in such a short time tended to make it brittle?? Just wondering out loud.

Old 05-16-17, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
The old saying is you can have it; fast, good or cheap... pick two. Normally the government picks good and cheap. But if you throw money at it a bridge can be build relatively fast.

Old 05-16-17, 11:30 PM
It seems to me if memory serves me right that a similar bridge collapse like what happened in Atlanta happened in the mid west several years ago. It only took the contractor a very short time to complete the job without any reports of further problems, so the contractor went through proper channels before getting the job unlike some road work. Seems like when it is considered an emergency replacement that things get done better.

Old 05-17-17, 05:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mother used to live a few blocks from the 118 freeway in LA when earthquake hit. Total bridge failure, they had bridge totally rebuilt to new earthquake standards in a few months.

Old 05-17-17, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
Yea, there was a huge bridge collapse in Minneapolis.

Old 06-27-17, 10:13 AM
Sorta Interesting....

When they poured the center span it dropped 16.5". Must be some folks smarter than me to plan for that.

Here's a short two minute news clip of their progress.

Crews Complete 5th Concrete Pour on New Bridge | www.WDIO.com