Nor'easter preps

Old 03-12-17, 08:35 AM
Nor'easter preps

Just when we thought our easy winter was over, NOAA is forecasting a Nor'easter for our area on Tuesday. They have issued a blizzard watch and are calling for one to two feet of snow with winds up to 50 mph. Not a real big deal as long as the power stays on. If we lose power it becomes a PITA. The last time we lost power during a winter storm it was off for a week.

I'll spend the day prepping the generator and snow blower and making a big pot of chili in case we get stranded for a few days.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-17, 08:52 AM
Group Moderator
We are getting your Tuesday weather today. Being a Minnesotan I am always in a state of readiness when it comes to the weather. Our saying is "if you don't like the weather, wait a minute."

Old 03-12-17, 08:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And if you experience all 4 seasons in one week, you live in the South. 72 degrees on Thursday, 2" of snow last night.

Old 03-12-17, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
Stella is blasting thru......

Old 03-12-17, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
And if you experience all 4 seasons in one week, you live in the South.
Well, Monday we had 65 degrees for a high, thunderstorms and a couple of tornadoes that evening. Then 30-40 MPH winds with gusts in the 50- 60 MPH range Tuesday and Wednesday with a little snow mixed in.

Old 03-12-17, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
12 to 18" here! And this cold air on top of that. Normally I'm not bothered by March snow because it melts fast, but this one is going to hang around awhile because of the not normal arctic air. Not looking forward to this week....
This thread should be the venting forum.

Old 03-12-17, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
We're chatting about it now. After it hits....we'll be venting.

Old 03-12-17, 02:53 PM
I'm never sure what we are getting up here in Maine until the day after it hits. Between the storm of the century madness the media likes to hype and the potential for the storms to slide a bit north or south we can end up with nothing or get buried. This one looks like it will be a hit, it's just winter.

Bud

Old 03-12-17, 04:17 PM
Here in Western New York and the Rochester area, some people still have no power from our wind storm of last Wednesday. I suffered a minor problem. The aluminum facia trim on my garage roof line to the peak blow off. But I managed to secure it back on the following day.

Old 03-13-17, 11:27 AM
I know it's just winter (I've lived 50+ years in the Northeast) but it seems every year my pre storm to do list gets longer. Mostly prepping for a power outage. We spent a week w/o power during a winter storm a couple of years ago and I don't want to do it again.

Today I lowered the flagpole & removed the flag, put out the driveway markers, dragged the generator from the garage, test ran it for 1/2 hour and put it under the deck. I put the electric snow blower w/ext cord in the basement ready to go. I put new batteries in the E radio and located the hotplate, camp stove and coleman lanterns. I filled all the spare gas cans, filled the bird feeders, got last minute groceries, hit the package store (can't survive a blizzard without a little vino) and made a pot of chili and a pot of beef mushroom soup. My wife is making bread and brownies.

If we get snowed in I'll probably gain 5 lbs.

Old 03-13-17, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
81 degrees, sunny, light wind. May prep for laying some pavers today or paint the front door trim. Or just take a day off, do a little shopping and grill up a nice ribeye and some corn. Supposed to be the same all week, so things can wait. Decisions, decisions.

I feel for you guys, I really do. This is one of the reasons I never contemplated moving back to OH or staying on the Right Coast though.

Old 03-13-17, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
And where is TowGuy to also rub it in, lol!

Old 03-13-17, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Minor rant: Once again I see on the news video of people who live in the city buying up all the bottled water at the supermarket. Why the heck do that. Just open the water tap in your own home and fill some milk jugs and soft drink bottles with water. Here in hurricane season you see people in the videos lined up around the block at coin operated water dispensers where you bring your own containers. Water dispensers hooked up to the same city water they have at home using containers they already had at home. #shakes head

Old 03-13-17, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
People are living in a past life where you got snowed in for days. Today in northern NJ I saw mile long lines at the gas stations. The supermarket was packed like it was a weekend.

By Wednesday, just one day here, and everything will be open as normal.

Hardware stores and home improvement stores running out of shovels. There are no slow blowers around for sale. Now you want to buy shovels ??!!!?!!!?!?!?

Old 03-13-17, 07:21 PM
Today a guy came in and bought 10 50lbs bags of salt! This stuff will melt within the day.

Old 03-13-17, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
Maybe he's just planning a LOT of margarita parties Norm.

Old 03-13-17, 08:49 PM
In my neck of the woods they have been fairly vague about the weather one time they say 6-8 inches and now they say 3-6. One thing they were certain of is that it could get worse and it will be slippery under foot. Because of that I decided to cancel my doctors appointment for tomorrow.

I agree though people are crazy about what they buy. I haven't been to a grocery store in a long time but I have seen news reports of what people are buying. Mainly they are buying milk,eggs and bread and leaving the store shelves bare. Many of those things people already have and they don't need those things. You would think that people were buying for an impending war instead of bad weather.

Old 03-14-17, 03:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's always amazed me the folks that go to the grocery store and buy up all the milk and bread ahead of an impending storm. But then it's also amazed me how many folks keep a bare cupboard/freezer.

Our water isn't too bad but a town near here runs their tap water thru a clorox bottle I won't drink it! I normally get water when we go out to eat .... unless we go to a restaurant in that town!

As of last night the weatherman still hadn't made up his mind whether or not we will get snow.

Old 03-14-17, 03:44 AM
I had to laugh at my wife yesterday. She told me she went to the grocery store and the place was mobbed with old people. I told she must have felt very comfortable and fit right in. She just gave me the look!

Old 03-14-17, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
Pretty big storm here last night, got about 2 1/2" that I'll have to shovel this morning........ Oh, wait, we get self-removing precipitation down here. Only going to make 69 today and overcast. Have a light rain right now.

Old 03-14-17, 05:31 AM
Here in Michigan, there are more than just a few people still waiting to get their power back after last Wednesday's wind storm. I think it was north of 875,000 homes and businesses that lost power, so quite a task to restore all of it. We only lost ours for about an hour that day, but a lot of people around us were out. Most of them got it back over the weekend, but one neighbor lady, the wife of one of my closest friend's, who passed away a couple of months ago, just got hers back yesterday afternoon, and it was a crew that came up from southern Ohio. They had a standby generator installed a couple of years ago, so she was fine, but I still kept in touch with her once or twice a day to make sure it was running okay. Nothing like you're getting along the east coast, but the backside of your storm dropped about 6" of snow here yesterday, and of course it just got started good about the time everyone was heading to work, and then picked up again during the afternoon rush, so a lot of crashes. This morning it's bright and sunny, but the high is supposed to be about 20, with a windchill of 8, so those without a generator or other place to stay are pretty uncomfortable.

Old 03-14-17, 05:57 AM
"People are living in a past life where you got snowed in for days."

I live in a rural area off a town maintained road. Several years ago we had a winter storm that took down trees and power lines all over the state. It was 3 days before the trees on our road got cleared and our road got plowed. Other roads got a higher priority. We had no generator and no power along with no heat and no well water. For four of those days we had no TV, internet or phone service. It was not fun.

Two years ago we got nearly two feet of snow and I could not find a plow service to clear my drive. We were stranded for most of 3 days until the snow settled enough that I could get out.

Now we have a generator, a snow blower and a stock of store bought bottled water. Before each winter storm we make sure we have enough food to last a week.

I was shopping yesterday and didn't notice any unusual crowds at the store and the shelves looked to be stocked normally. I think most of the "panic shopping" is just media hype.

Old 03-14-17, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
I preped to. I called the yard man to come mow my yard. He was supposed to be here yesterday but he is backed up. Hope he shows today. The grass is getting deep.

Old 03-14-17, 09:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I shouldn't have to mow for another month but it has been a mild winter. I already had to weed eat the high spots last month and it needs it again but since there are more high spots I'll probably be better off mowing ...... when we get past this latest cold snap.

Old 03-14-17, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Well, we were supposed to get all snow, more than a foot, and instead it turned to sleet in the early morning hours. So we ended up with about 5" of frozen snow, sleet and ice!
It was like shoveling rocks. We had to break it first, then carry small pieces of it to the side. And we have a lot to shovel! Even had to chop it up on the cars (an SUV and a truck) first to get it off and it was so heavy you could hardly push it. I don't think I ever saw anything like it.
Now I'm stiff and sore!

Old 03-14-17, 12:39 PM
We ended up getting the same thing. What started out as a prediction for 1-2 feet of snow and 50-70 mph winds ended up as 3-4 inches and some rain/sleet. I doubt if the wind has reached 10 mph. The weather guessers really blew it.

OTOH I prefer putting up with an occasional snowstorm and live in an area where we don't have to worry about tornadoes, floods, wildfires, mudslides or hurricanes.

Not having to mow in March is a good thing.

Old 03-14-17, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
While it's rained on/off and tries to spit snow every so often - we have no accumulation!!
But the wind sure is icy seems to zero in on any opening in your apparel

Still not going to complain since we have no snow on the ground

Old 03-14-17, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Not having to mow in March is a good thing
Just thought of a great invention. A combination lawn mower and snow thrower.

Old 03-14-17, 02:40 PM
Group Moderator
"People are living in a past life where you got snowed in for days."
When I said that I meant people more in a city setting not extreme rural areas. For those areas you need to be prepared at all times... not just when there is inclement weather.

All our main roads were open by 8am and most of the streets were plowed by 3pm.

We didn't get all the snow that was forecast. We ended up with about an average of a foot and some pretty high areas where it was blown. It's been 28-29 here all day. Average winds 10mph with gusts to 35mph.

Old 03-14-17, 02:44 PM
about 5" of frozen snow, sleet and ice
This is what we get in the South and what Northerners laugh at us about. "Can't drive in snow??" It ain't snow 2" down. It's solid ice.

Old 03-14-17, 03:30 PM
I remember driving to work in Charleston from Summerville in a light snow years ago. Traffic was stopped and I couldn't see why. I stepped out of my car and fell on my ass. There was glare ice under a light covering of snow. Here the road crews are pretty good at treating the roads but we still get black ice occasionally. However, I agree with the statement about southerners not being able to drive on snow. I remember a snowstorm in Charleston in the early 70's, I think we got 14-15 inches and it took days to recover. There were cars off the road all over.

I shoveled my walk today. It was like shoveling wet concrete. The wet snow must have weighed 40# per shovel full. My cardiologist would be proud.

Old 03-14-17, 03:41 PM
North Carolina uses a brine solution prior to a storm to prevent icing. Never heard of it until a few years ago, but it seems to work.

Old 03-14-17, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Many towns up here are using the brine solution too.
They've been putting it down for several years so I'd have to assume it actually helps.

Old 03-14-17, 04:29 PM
Our snow is typical fair for our area. But because it's in March and not January, people are all upset. I used the snow blower twice so far.

Today, at the store, our plow service backed into a customer's van and did extensive damage. Air bags and all exploded. Both were at fault. Customer was pulling in and not letting the plow guy have the room or right of way to do his job. Plow guy did not look for on coming cars (assumed it was clear and empty) and did not use his back up up cam (which we found laying in the snow later).

Old 03-15-17, 04:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
brine solution prior to a storm to prevent icing.
Our local hwy dept uses it also. The big problem they have is they'll apply it 10 times for non events and then miss the one time it's needed ..... well maybe they aren't that bad but sometimes it seems like it.