Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bathrooms

CT

03-16-17, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Bathrooms

Just curious - how many here grew up with only one bathroom in the house. I grew up in a 1840 farmhouse that had only one although there was a two holer out by the tractor shed for emergencies. My wife grew up with just one in a house with 7 people.

Now we have 2 3/4 baths, one of which seldom gets used, my daughter's house has 3 1/2 baths and my son's 4. It seems like most new houses are all built with a bath per bedroom. I'm not saying that one bathroom is enough but are houses being overbuilt when it comes to baths?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

PA

03-16-17, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)  
We moved around a lot, and all my houses had only one bathroom. My current house has one and a half. Honestly, don't think I'd really like cleaning so many!

In our hearts, we all know that it's wrong to harm an animal and that we should take action to protect them -
Patrick McDonnell

Adopt a shelter pet!
Spay or neuter your pet!
Please don't leave pets or kids in a hot car!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-16-17, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)  
The one where I grew up was a full bath......but you could sit on the toilet, wash your feet in the tub and wash your hands in the sink without moving.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

03-16-17, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)  
My first house that I bought was a one bath place, but it was just me. Born into a 2 1/2 bath place and when I was in 5th grade moved into a 10 bedroom 4 1/2 bath mansion. Was part of an old estate. I shared my bathroom with my sister. Current house is 4 bedroom 3 1/2 bath. More than we need and definitely more that we want to clean.

Super Moderator

PA

03-16-17, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Well Larry, all my bathrooms were like that, including the one I have now, lol! Old Philly rowhomes and twins, you know!

In our hearts, we all know that it's wrong to harm an animal and that we should take action to protect them -
Patrick McDonnell

Adopt a shelter pet!
Spay or neuter your pet!
Please don't leave pets or kids in a hot car!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-17-17, 04:42 AM   #6 (permalink)  
Most every where I've lived had one and a half baths ... although the place I had in fla stretched that fact a little - if you sat on the pot in the half bath your knees were under the wall hanger sink

Where I lived now we only had 1 bath to start with but I added a half bath

While I've never lived with an outhouse, I've had numerous family/friends that did. I've considered putting one behind my barn so I won't get fussed at for tracking in dirt when I need to go If only slate rock wasn't so hard to dig

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NY

03-17-17, 04:53 AM   #7 (permalink)  
Back 50 70 years ago a family of five shared one bathroom with no problems. Now days 3 bathrooms and three people and still not enough bathrooms to satisfy everybody.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-17-17, 05:55 AM   #8 (permalink)  
... and back then a 1200 sq ft, 3 bed rm house was a good size house, nobody felt crowded either. You wouldn't believe how many 3000 sq ft + homes I've painted that only had 2-3 occupants.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MI

03-17-17, 06:02 AM   #9 (permalink)  
Ironically, the house that my wife and I live in is almost identical to one that I designed in an architectural class many years ago. I'm sure that I must have mentioned it to her at the time, because it was so obvious to me, but at some point over the years I dug through my stuff, pulled out my old drawings, and showed her. She stared at them for a bit, and said that it sure enough seemed to be the same, except on the bedroom end, where the master bathroom was missing on the drawings. I told her then that I never imagined owning a home with more than one bathroom.

Search this Thread