Vintage electronics

Old 03-29-17, 09:55 AM
Vintage electronics

Well, first of all, I don't know if this post belongs in this section, but didn't find anything for diy circuit boards, and, secondly, if not appropriate, please feel free to delete or close the post, but I assure that I am not doing this for profit.

Anyway, not a lot left after giving away and scrapping the majority maybe 10 years or so ago, including most if not all of my vacuum tubes, but I do have quite a number of resistors, capacitors, variable resistors, transistors, knobs, etc. that I am going to scrap within the next week or so. But happened to think last night that there seem to be quite a few rather diverse people here, so figured i would mention that if you happen to have a certain vintage radio, oscilloscope, meter, or whatever that could use something along the line of what I mentioned, let me know, and I will take a look through what I have. I don't want anything for any of it, but would be happy to look, and toss it in the mail if it will help you get something going. I know it doesn't sound like much to a lot of people, but I have been on the other side, tracking down that last little piece for anything from a radio to a tractor, and it's sometimes frustrating to know that it's out there, but where.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-17, 10:55 AM
Two ideas, first, check prices on ebay or craigslist. You might find some nice pocket change.
Second, see if there is an auction house nearby, they usually show as "house for auction",
but many also deal with personal property, e.g. situations where there are books, music, collectibles and parts. Tranzon is a big auction company, check with them.

Old 03-29-17, 11:08 AM
THere are folks here that would love this stuff, and pay for it:

qrz.com
eham.com
Antique Radios - The Collector's Resource

Old 03-29-17, 11:32 AM
I appreciate the suggestions, but honestly not going to sell or even try to sell any of it. Got rid of the bulk of components some time ago, and what's left is simply not worth the time, to me, nor to a potential buyer. Maybe if I inventoried it so they knew exactly what they were getting, but not going to do that, and wouldn't want to sell it if it turned out that there was nothing of value in it to the buyer. At one time, I have no doubt that there was more than enough to make tube type radios, benchtop power supplies, frequency generators, or whatever someone was so inclined, but now it's essentially just parts. In the 60's and early 70's, I recall finding boxes of this stuff at garage sales, auctions, etc., and I'm sure that some of what I bought or was given originated from overstock or whatever, so it's entirely possible that there could be say a whole bunch of one size resistor in some of what I have. Don't think that's the case, but don't know, and not going to spend the time to sort it like I used to have it. All I have in mind was maybe being able to help someone here that has a voltmeter on the shelf with a fried resistor, an old radio with a broken or missing bakelite knob, a fidgety rheostat, or whatever.

Old 03-29-17, 11:56 AM
We're on the same page.

Auction companies will usually take unsorted boxes of stuff they can sell.

Tha's tools, toys, books & magazines, collectibles.

They will just put the box on a table, and auction it off

Old 03-29-17, 02:10 PM
Group Moderator
I put your post in the general chat forum.

Have a garage sale and in the paper put electronic parts or components. I have met more different and diverse people that way. I met several local ham radio guys that I didn't even know were in the area. I accumulated boxes of parts and gave most of it away for nothing. The garage sales weren't even mine.