Ridgid recipricating saw

Old 03-29-17, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ridgid recipricating saw

First, this is not intended to slam a product. I am just interested in knowing if anyone else has had an experience with their one handed reciprocating saw. I've had mine a year and it worked great for what I wanted....medium demolition. The one thing that happened right off, within months, was the front cowling kept coming off. It is held on with plastic clips, similar to an Otter box. That's nothing Tyvek tape can't fix. I obtained the lifetime warranty, but the cowling wasn't a big deal. Then yesterday taking a one piece shower down in pieces the main shaft went limp. No gear action. So I took it back to HD under warranty. It takes 6 or more weeks for Ridgid to look at it. What do you do in the meantime? Lady at the counter asked what I had done to it? I told her I worked for a living, and my tools had better keep up.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-17, 03:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Go to harbor freight and pick up a $29 one. I have had mine for 4 years now without any issues.

Old 03-29-17, 04:21 PM
Buy a Porta Cable. My Ridgid has been sent back twice and my Porta Cable is at least 10 years old and never had to be repaired.

Old 03-29-17, 06:12 PM
Batteries for my Rigid drills were the same story, long wait. Then after 2 replacement they said they could no longer get the batteries, but they could give me the lithium ion equivalent. But I would have to purchase the charger which was different. I declined and insisted they find some batteries. Eventually they ordered them from a guy who does their tool repairs and he sent them right out. But, that was probably the last time I will be able to get any. 4 drills all pretty well shot but really can't complain considering the use they got. I'll probably just wait until I'm in the mood and go see what kind of deal they will offer. Using Makita now and like them.

I bet that lifetime warranty stuff they offer has cost them a bundle.

Bud

Old 03-29-17, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
After a certain point, when they no longer have batteries, you can still get them rebuilt, or DIY for about $20. You can even upgrade to better cells for about $5 more.

Old 03-30-17, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Joe, the reason I liked the one handed saw, was for portability and reaching without the weight of a larger saw. My PC Tiger saw just died after 15 years, thus the purchase. I did find out the normal reciprocation of a saw is 1 1/8" while the one handed Ridgid is only 1/2". Big difference when doing demo. My PC wouldn't have "died" if one of my guys had used his head when cutting a post off at ground level and not sucked a rock in the cooling area. Ground it to a pulp.

I think I'll go back with a heavier PC and be done with it for 15 more years. If Ridgid fixes my saw, it can be for light weight work.

Old 03-30-17, 04:35 AM
Admin Emeritus

My Two Cents: For whatever it's worth. Likely only two !...

When replacement batteries are to difficult to find or not made any longer, have those batteries in the power tools rebuilt at Batteries + (Plus) store. Likely one in your area. Great service and their rebuilds come with a warranty.

I've used their services several times with great satisfaction... Retail store in my area stocks batteries for almost every thing made too.

Old 03-30-17, 05:25 AM
We do have a Bat+ but when I purchased the Rigid they guaranteed my tools and batteries for life and that is what I expect. Although I did get my money's worth out of my drills, my small circular saw and reciprocating saw are still in good shape and I like them, but down to last two batteries. 2 double battery chargers and one of those is dead and I've had to repair the other. Basically, I spent well over $1,000 and now have only a couple of tools to show for it. They have fallen way short of their promise and their headquarters should have a long term solution on the table. I just need to push to find out what it is.

Bud