Jury Duty

Old 04-28-17, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Wow, that's odd to make people over 70 have to go. Here we're welcome to, but don't have to go, over 70.
They're strict about people showing up if you're under 70 or haven't been excused thru the pre-questionairre, but otherwise, they're pretty lenient. They'll ask if it would be a hardship to serve and if you raise your hand, you're automatically excused.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-17, 08:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I did notice that the term of service lasts for 4 months! Doesn't begin until June 1st....does that mean "there goes my summer
Think of it more as being on call for jury duty. After showing up the first time in person, if you aren't called upon to serve you will often be instructed to call in each morning [might be just once a week] to see if they want you to show up. Just because the term lasts 4 months doesn't mean it's a 4 month everyday job.

Old 04-28-17, 09:00 AM
... but I did notice that the term of service lasts for 4 months!
Is this district court or something else, maybe federal? Up here it lasts 1 month and down in Duluth it's 2 weeks. Never heard of 4 months.

Old 04-28-17, 09:23 AM
After showing up the first time in person...
That's how it was when I went 40 years ago, now they have a call-in-system. You call in before your first day and it might say groups xxx come in, call Wednesday, next week or whatever. Years ago I only had to call maybe 3 times and they released everybody.

Thinking about these group numbers now, I'll bet that just makes it easier rather than rattling off all the names. Four people to a group, they want twenty jurors so they call five groups.

I think??