They don't make 'em like they used to.

Old 04-16-17, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
They don't make 'em like they used to.

Well, I have to agree with the above. Have a spray can of dichlorodifluoromethane (prize to who gets it's common name w/o googling (googleing?) that I've had for a while (like from when I was in the Navy, years before I got out). Date of Manufacture...01/90! Yes, it's been used some, but it still sprays like it's new. 27 yrs!

Also have a well used spray can of corrosion preventative from the same era. No label to be sure, but I probably liberated them at the same time.

It seems I can't leave a can of spray paint unused for more than a year before it has no pressure left. And forget about a tube of caulk.

I doubt it's just because it's milspec or something.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-17, 03:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What would you use a spray can of R12 for? Or is it a punctured fill can?

Old 04-17-17, 03:16 AM
Correct you are. Today's paints (due to EPA and environmental issues) do not store like they use to. I've thrown out many a gallon of paint left on the shelf too long at the store. Sometime it actually smells bad as you open it.

Old 04-17-17, 03:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Old latex paints have always been prone to developing a strong offensive odor. As far as I know it doesn't hurt the paint. Over the years I've done quite a few jobs that utilized old/scrap paint to accommodate an extra small budget on rentals and low priced properties for sale.

Old 04-17-17, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Larry gets a cookie!

These cans were all over the place on ships Larry. They were used as freezing spray to ID heat sensitive components...back when you could actually replace components on a board. The FC's, EM's ET's, IC's all had a case stashed away somewhere. Of course, some people used them for a quick high also...how stupid is that! Ex- told me they had a guy die at her command, found him in a cleaning locker with a plastic bag and a can of this. Oh, and R-12 can cause frostbite..no questions how I know. (Thought you got older AND smarter?)

There was no real control, just ordered it when needed. It's still available, but on a Hazmat list of some sort.

We also had spray cans of trichlorofluoromethane (R-11) to use as a cleaning agent on ckt boards, connectors, etc.

Ahhh the good old days...you could fling hazardous materials around like confetti, and nobody cared.

Of course at the same time, the NAVOSH (Navy OSHA people) wanted us to have a vent hood installed to mitigate the "harmful effects" of soldering fumes. Hey, no problem, design a Shipalt, get approval, cut through 2 or 3 bulkheads to vent to the exterior, pay someone $50K to source and install everything

Old 04-17-17, 01:24 PM
We used to get cans of anti corrosion spray from the GMs on board. They used it on small arms. The spray cans had an orange label with the NSN and content information. I can't remember what the name was or if it was commercially available, but it was the best stuff for protecting everything from pistols to fishing reels.