Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Nothing else to do in the rain

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-20-17, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Nothing else to do in the rain

Just something to think about. Have you noted that radial arm saws, miter saws, table saws always use the leading edge of the blade tip to make the initial cut into the wood? Have you noted that circular saws cut the underside of the wood first? OK, it's a slow day.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

MN

04-20-17, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)  
OK, it's a slow day
I guess. :P A circular saw is nothing more then an upside down table saw.

Electrical AC/DC and lighting Moderator
Professional Electrician, Handyman, all around swell guy!
40,000 people die in auto accidents per year in the US. We should ban cars.

WA

04-20-17, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)  
If you think about it for two seconds you will realize that with either tool the blade tooth will be pulling the material towards the table. It it were otherwise the blade would be lifting the material away from the table. Which do you think is safer and allows better control?

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

04-20-17, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)  
All I know is a radial arm saw is one of the most dangerous tools I've ever used.
Be prepared for boards to be flying I started on one though and even used a router attachment which is even more dangerous than ripping.

Super Moderator

AZ

04-21-17, 12:54 AM   #5 (permalink)  
All I know is a radial arm saw is one of the most dangerous tools I've ever used.
I never minded using my Dad's old Craftsman or the giant Delta at HD (until they came up with those stupid guards that make it harder to use). I liked the fact you could see the cut line easily, no fence needed. I DIDN'T like the fact that it tried to claw its way down the arm and attack you, but if you adjusted the tension, it wasn't so bad.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

GA

04-21-17, 04:30 AM   #6 (permalink)  
Joel, I agree with the physics. I was just pondering the clean lines that you get when the tooth touches the finished side first, and the potential for tear out with the blade leaving the finished side. Not that I have had that happen. Like I said......slow day.

Vic, I attached one of those retractable key holders to my RAS carriage. It naturally returns to the back side and stays there. It is a 1970's vintage, so no guards. Just common sense.

Although in early years, I did use my dad's RAS to rip a board, he was wise enough to invite me over one Saturday for the unveiling of his new table saw.

NY

04-21-17, 04:55 AM   #7 (permalink)  
Owned a Craftsman RAS for the past 40 years, Built many an item. Never wished I had a table saw. Don't use it much any more though.

So much time , so little to do!

GA

04-21-17, 05:28 AM   #8 (permalink)  
Wish I had that problem. I'll have to work right up to lunch on the day of my funeral, just to keep up.

Search this Thread