Oh My Gosh ringless voicemail

Old 06-03-17, 06:54 AM
Oh My Gosh ringless voicemail

"FCC ruling could allow marketing calls to go straight to your voicemail"
FCC ruling could allow marketing calls to go straight to your voicemail - CBS News

The proponents of this want these voice mails to go directly to out mail box in unlimited quantities without without our ability to say stop.

I'm sure there is more to this but I oppose any type of telephone harassment, unless they want to pay for my phone plus some spending money. It's my phone and they have no right to use it for whatever they are promoting.

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-17, 07:17 AM
I agree with you Bud!

My last job assignment prior to retirement the stuporvisor wanted me to post my telephone number. I asked why and said it was so someone could get a hold of me if something arose. I asked him if the company was going to pay for the telephone service and he replied, "Of course not!" I then went on to tell him that snail mail was his best bet.

I did eventually compromise. I got speed dialing installed on the plant telephone and then entered my number. They could call me with a two-digit code but there was no way (or at least very difficult) to ascertain my actual number.

Old 06-03-17, 07:52 AM
I'm guessing but the hack at Yahoo got my cell number. Ever since that I get 2 or 3 rings per day, but since I can only answer text they just end up as unanswered calls. Reverse lookup only identifies a few and they are marketing concerns. Just what I don't need is a flood of silent drops in my message file that require MY time to sort through.

I currently use my land line for dsl but as home phone it has become useless, half a dozen calls a day . I have had to turn off the answering machine and just ignore it when it rings. At some point we will need a 100% way to exclude everything except those we need to communicate with, no exceptions like politicians and others that are allowed to spam.

Best to you Joel
Bud

Old 06-03-17, 02:09 PM
Yahoo has for some time been amassing cell phone numbers, ostensibly to allow a member to recover a lost password by using the number. I have steadfastly refused to give them my number and I won't change my mind anytime soon.

Verizon, a few months ago inaugurated a new "service" where they send a free text to your phone with the current amount of the billing. I DON'T want any text messaging but as far as I am able ascertain (I haven't tried very hard) I am unable to opt out of this service.

Bud, have you looked into a VoIP phone to replace your land line? You would have to change to what is called a "naked DSL" but then go with a VoIP solution. I've had mine for several years and I pay $6.95 a month for the incoming number but all incoming calls are free. Outgoing calls are charged at 1-1/2 cents per minute and my average monthly usage charge is usually less than $4. That is about one-third the price of a conventional land-line and I have nationwide calling at the single price. I do get an occasional wrong number, maybe three or so a year and NO solicitations. Contrast that to when I (stupidly) signed up for the Verizon "Freedom Phone" where the cost was north of $40 a month and almost every single call was either a wrong number or a solicitation.

Old 06-03-17, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
Yahoo has for some time been amassing cell phone numbers, ostensibly to allow a member to recover a lost password by using the number.
Wow... you hit the nail right on the head. I used my cell phone as a recovery for Verizon. Now I'm getting blitzed with calls. Makes perfect sense.

There is a positive response phone answering system. You give all the people that call you an access number. When they call you.... they put that number in. No other calls get thru.