question for a commercial pilot

Old 06-11-17, 01:19 PM
question for a commercial pilot

please answer only if you are an airline pilot or retired airline pilot.....
when you look at the levers for the reverse thrust in an airliner they sit in front of the throttle levers...
I guess you cant pull them unless the throttle is at idle... but you pull them towards you which is opposite of the throttle which you push to increase power..

when you pull them toward you
does the power come up automatically also or do you have to pull the reverse levers and then push up the throttle levers separately...??

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-17, 12:17 PM
Group Moderator
Since nobody has answered... I am not an ATP but I have been in the simulators for a few large aircraft. I am not type rated in any commercial passenger airplanes so these are just recollections from my late night fun flights on the sims.

I think of the throttle and thrust reverse levers as forward to go faster and aft to go slower. So, pulling the thrust reverse lever up and aft provides more slow. If you want to slow down more you pull further aft on the thrust reverse levers which increases engine thrust in reverse. On the planes I've "flown" they had auto throttles in flight but that did not deploy the thrust reversers and it did not advance the throttles in reverse. That has be done manually by the pilot.

Auto braking is available which automatically begins braking at touchdown and is activated by squat switches in the main landing gear. Auto braking can begin before the nose wheel touches down to provide the most braking action. There are also several different intensity settings for the auto braking.

Old 06-15-17, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
What is their intent in asking this? Do you want to fly into a building? There's a reason no one replied.

Old 06-15-17, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
You don't fly into buildings with reverse thrust. Nobody replied because the OP specifically said "reply only if you are an airline pilot". I've had numerous people ask questions that might seem odd to some.

"What's that growling sound under the floor in Airbus planes?"
"What are the spinning wheels next to the throttles in airliners?"
"Why do they announce cross check and all call on the PA?"
"How far can this plane go if the engines quit?"

Old 06-15-17, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
And just as a guess, the thrust reverser circuits might go through the weight-on-wheels switch to prevent in-flight operation. The weight-on-wheels switch is a small-ish push button switch that is actuated only when the wheels are on the ground with some weight on them, hence the name. It prevents, among things, accidents like putting the gear up while sitting on the ground. There are also, on some aircraft weight-OFF-wheels switches; same basic function but in reverse if that makes sense.

TG
USMC aircraft maintenance (retired)