Philandro Castille shooting

Old 06-20-17, 05:27 PM
Philandro Castille shooting

Dash cam video was released today. I don't want to start any political or racial commentary but just want to point out that stuff like this doesn't need to happen.

Typical of most of these types of encounters it seems like there is enough blame to spread between the victim and the police. The victim reaches for his wallet which was near his pistol (mistake - he had informed the cop that he had a gun and from that point the cop was rightfully in self preservation mode). He knows he's just getting his wallet but the cop doesn't know that. A tragic mistake on the part of the cop (given the current atmosphere can you blame him) and the victim.

A lot of years ago I was a member of a Navy pistol team. I bought a pistol from a guy at a match and stuffed it in the glove box in my car. On the way home I got pulled over for speeding and the cop asked me for my DL and registration. When I started to open the glove box I remembered the gun was in there and told the cop. I put both hands on the steering wheel and said how do you want to do this?
He was pretty cool about it (different times) he just asked me to step out of the car and he asked my permission to remove the weapon to make sure it was unloaded. He still gave me a ticket though.

What if the cop had asked the victim to step out of the car? Or to keep his hands on the wheel. Or if the victim had recognized that cops these days get really jumpy when there is a gun involved. A tragedy that could have been avoided.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-17, 05:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't own a gun but the last time a cop stopped me, I told him that my license was in my pocket. He was confused as to why I was telling him that. Duh. I'd rather tell him to call his boss before I reach for anything. if I see that he is too nervous.

Old 06-21-17, 07:39 AM
Group Moderator
I don't want to start an argument but I dispute the idea that Castile was reaching for his wallet, as you can see Officer Yanez holding his driver's license prior to that moment.

Old 06-21-17, 11:45 AM
I assumed that he handed the cop his registration and was reaching for his license in his wallet. The object the cop is holding seems large to be a DL. Whatever the case, a jury found the shooting justified believing that the cop feared for his life. Unfortunately, it cost him his job.

I think it's just another example of bad decisions leading to a tragedy. Remember the Tamir Rice shooting a couple of years ago? Cops shoot a 12 year old reaching for a BB gun in his waistband. A kid that age is probably incapable of understanding the situation. It wouldn't surprise me if he was pulling the gun out to show the cops it was a BB gun or maybe he just intended to drop it. But the cops don't know he was only 12 and they could not know his intentions. All they know is a report of a person with a gun.

Old 06-21-17, 11:53 AM
Group Moderator
Minnesota does not have registrations; that would not be the document provided. You get asked for your license and occasionally proof of insurance and one does not generally offer the proof of insurance unless asked.

Old 06-22-17, 12:59 PM
It was proof of insurance according to court records. His drivers liscense was still in his wallet. That part of the case wasn't disputed.

Old 06-22-17, 01:15 PM
Cw- I think the victim recognized that the police are jumpy when guns are involved. Which is why he told him, to avoid confusions.

I understand why that made Yanez nervous but it shouldn't have. People with liscensed concealed carry weapons are on average less likely to commit crimes than the general public and if Castile was intending to use his weapon it is unlikely that he would have announced that he had one. Obviously in the heat of the moment nobody can be expected to be completely rational, but exercising your constitutional 2nd amendment right shouldn't be sufficient cause for an officer to be justified in using lethal force.

Old 06-22-17, 02:08 PM
I don't think the cop shot Castille because he had a gun. He shot him because he believed (rightly or wrongly) that Castille was reaching for it. Listen to the cop. He says "don't pull it out" at least twice before opening fire. Unfortunately, we don't get to see Castille's response to those commands.

Not a 2nd amendment issue at all.

Old 06-22-17, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
Seems odd to have handed over proof of insurance before license but thanks for straightening that out.

Old 06-22-17, 03:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Seems odd to have handed over proof of insurance before license.
Actually, it isn't odd. My insurance card is on the sun visor & much more accessible than my license which is in my pocket. I always provide the insurance card first & as I said, I tell the cop that it's in my pocket to avoid confusion. Nothing up my sleeve.

Old 06-22-17, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Advice from most experts IIRC is that if you are simply stopped for a possible traffic violation and are legally in possession of a weapon, whether on your person or secured in the vehicle somewhere, that you should not announce it unless asked directly by the officer or if you are asked to step out of the vehicle. Then you keep your hands visible and make no movements w/o direction to do so. The reasoning was that if the first words out of your mouth are "I have gun", the officer immediately goes into high alert before he has even had a chance to talk to you and ascertain if you had been drinking or are somehow agitated.

And of course there's the fact that why should you have to announce that you are doing a perfectly lawful act? Do you pull up to a police car and say "Officer, just wanted to let you know. I was doing exactly the speed limit."?

Of course, much depends on your local laws and the general attitude towards guns in your area. Out here is far, far different than the laws/attitude in some other States, or even some areas in this state. Though the laws are the same, what's a non-issue in my town would probably get lots of stares and possibly a conversation with LE down in Phoenix or Tucson.