Doorstep Plaques

Old 07-02-17, 11:22 AM
Doorstep Plaques

Living in a Pulte built home for many years, I always admired the little bronze plaque in my walkway. I am wondering if this was just an Illinois/Midwestern thing. Or if these were used elsewhere. Are there other styles? Do other builders use them? Any of you guys have one? Any insight would be great.
First plaque is from a friend's place in Algonquin, IL built 1984
Name:  pulte plaque.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  51.7 KB
This plaque is at my house built 1987 in Sleepy Hollow, IL
Name:  Pulte Plaque ii.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  50.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-17, 05:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The only time I ever saw something like that was on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame.

Old 07-03-17, 02:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think there were a few big builders that used plaques like that in the 50s and 60s but it wasn't a common place thing.

Old 07-03-17, 10:08 AM
I have a brass/bronze plate on the side of my house next to the front door.

Name:  P1000865.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  39.0 KB

The FedEx delivery woman really liked it.

Old 07-03-17, 12:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How do you know nothing happened there 120 yrs ago

Old 07-03-17, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
I'd require a $1500 discount if someone wanted to put that on a house I was having built. If it was already there, I'd cut it out and scrap it. Same as the dealer stickers and such on cars...off they come the first weekend.

As to the "nothing happened" plaque, he was probably there...

Old 07-03-17, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
Same as the dealer stickers and such on cars...off they come the first weekend.
Back in the '70s there was a new car dealership owned by a man whose last name was Gay. The name of his dealership was Gay Pontiac. He proudly put his dealership name on every car he sold. I suspect he was an older man who grew up when gay had only one meaning. Always amused when I saw the back of one of the cars sold at his dealership.

Old 07-04-17, 05:43 AM
I think the dealer decals are neat. It tells others where you might be from or what part of town or country you may be from. If I see a car that was from the same dealer as mine I feel a certain sense of camaraderie with that person. I bought my current van from FOX Auto in Painted Post, NY, about 100 miles away from me. When I see that same Fox logo on a car in town I say cool. Use to be that a license plate would indicate where you're from. As far as advertising to the dealer? So what? What harm does it do?

If I see a car that is hesitating as to where to turn or go and I see a dealer decal that indicates he may be from out of town, I'll give them the benefit of doubt and allow him a little leeway to figure out where he is. Just common courtesy.

Old 07-04-17, 08:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Use to be that a license plate would indicate where you're from.
Does New York not put the county on the tag? Most, maybe all the southern states have the county sticker at the bottom portion of the tag. In tenn you must register your vehicle in the county you reside. Supposedly you could get a ticket for having your vehicle registered in a different county although I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for that.

Old 07-04-17, 09:03 AM
There is a correlation with dealership stickers. I have noticed homeowners who tend to remove stickers have also gotten new cement walks. Call me crazy, but I am in desperate need of a new walk and considering pulling out the plaque and placing it in the new walk.
Here is a good picture of a neighbor who has kept the plaque
Name:  7308_scots_ln_lakewood_il_03.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  51.3 KB
You can see it just before the step

Old 07-04-17, 12:42 PM
Marksr, if memory serves me correctly, I think many years ago NY did include the county but not currently.

Houseguy,
I think that is kinda of a neat thing to do. It preserves the history of the house.