Talk About BS (- :

Old 07-16-17, 02:27 AM
Group Moderator
Talk About BS (- :

I watch a lot of late night TV. The items they sell can really be a amusing.
What will soon be the hottest coin on the market? Without a doubt it’s the new 2017 replica edition of the $50 Buffalo Gold coin, the very first coin type issued by the U.S. Government to contain a full ounce of .9999 Pure Gold.

They go on to say:
This tribute replica coin originally was going to sell for $50 dollars but for a limited time you can have it for only $9.95. They go on to say with the price of gold increasing the value of the tribute to the original coin can only increase.

OH great let's get this....but wait
2017 $50 Buffalo Tribute Proof, which recreates the intricate details of this popular design and is clad in 14 mg of 24 KT Gold
OOps 14mg of gold? Just how much is that at today's gold prices?

Current price of gold is $1,217.60 per ounce. Wait! How many ounces is 14mg? 14mg = 0.00049383547 ounces so that is 60¢. What a deal.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-16-17 at 03:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-17, 03:59 AM
Did you do that conversion using Troy ounces or Avoirdupois ounces? Gold is measured in troy ounces and only twelve of them in a pound.

Old 07-16-17, 04:53 AM
Group Moderator
i'd forgotten that. The converter just said ounces but you're right it was avoirdupois not troy. So it was really 0.00045 troy ounces therefore 55¢ rounded up.

Old 07-16-17, 05:23 AM
Somebody has to pay for all those ads !

Old 07-16-17, 05:37 AM
Group Moderator
Gold is $39.15 per gram. 1000 milligrams in a gram so that would be .03915 per milligram x 14mg = .54 cents. Hey, math works!

Old 07-16-17, 05:41 AM
The part I hate is this targets those who can't protect themselves and a lot of seniors grow into this category. When I finally had to take over my dad's checkbook it was a shock to see some of the places where he was sending money, investment reports and gold scams where frequent.

Where's the consumer protection for the people who need to avoid this type of marketing. Today I can stumble through the math, not so sure about 10 years from now.

Bud

Old 07-16-17, 07:00 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not sure it is old age so much as being too trusting and not skeptical enough due to their life experiences... or rather lack thereof.

Old 07-16-17, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
I watch a lot of late night TV. The items they sell can really be a amusing.
Have you seen this one ?
You can cut the cable connection and get all the same channels,
in stunning HD clarity, for one low price.

It's a miracle...... say Hallelujah.

clear tv key

Old 07-16-17, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
That one is especially amusing because it can not be rotated to get the best signal. I use old fashioned rabbit ears with UHF loop and I have to turn it for some stations even though I'm in a major metropolitan area. I also wonder if it has a VHF component. In my area I have two digital stations the FCC allowed to stay on VHF.

Old 07-17-17, 01:37 PM
Elderly folks who already are in a precarious financial condition have no business buying ANYTHING off TV, particularly those specialized, high-pressured "shopping" channels.

ray2047:
Current price of gold is $1,217.60 per ounce. Wait! How many ounces is 14mg? 14mg = 0.00049383547 ounces so that is 60¢. What a deal.
Ray, don't take this for a 'dig' at switching avdp and troy. Common mistake, easily made. But the process you used brings up a point worth remarking to.

A week or so ago I was watching an episode of a TNT (Internet-only?) TV series called, "Animal Kingdom." And on this show, a high school-aged girl asks, effectively, "Why do I need to study algebra anyway? When I'm 30, what am I ever going to use algebra for?"

There's your answer. Algebra is how you figger out for yourself not to pay $50 for a 55¢ gold coin:

$1217.60/31.103g=$x/0.0014g and solve for X.

Farmer Jones sells sweet corn 10 ears for four dollars. Farmer Brown sells his 12 ears for five. Which is the better deal? My car gets 24 mpg on gasahol and 28 on 100% gasoline. How cheap does the pure stuff have be before it also becomes cost-effective?

Junior High algebra. Knowledge is its own reward. Too many people fail to recognize the importance of taking advantage of the FREE opportunities life presents, like public education, until it's too late.

I'm all in favor of expanding your personal "envelopes." Learn to skydive or fly an airplane ride a unicycle and you expand your "comfort envelope." The accomplishment expands your horizons, gives you the courage to undertake other "risky" endeavors (one reason sports plays an important role in childhood development). Learn algebra or needlepoint or how to do a top-end job on a single cylinder Briggs & Stratton engine. The experience expands your knowledge base, gives you the self-assurance to undertake other "brainy" endeavors.

Memorize a famous poem. Not some short thing but a major poem, something with historicity, like Poe's "The Raven" or Kipling's "Gunga Din." Or the Prologue from Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (not the modern English translation, mind you, the original Olde English!). Learn them in order to recite them. Then break them out one day for the amusement of your grandkids. It will BLOW. THEIR. MINDS. And maybe inspire them to open their own brains really wide and stuff something big in there. Kids have brains like sponges anyway, but only if they keep them exercised and pliable. Use it or lose it. Encourage them, ...no, challenge them to keep their's exercised.

I'm 30 ..and then some ... and I still use algebra. Not at work, in real life. Geometry too. On rare occasion, integral calculus even. But I wouldn't be looking for those opportunities if I didn't already have the tools. Tools I got free in public school.

PJmax:
Have you seen this one ?
You can cut the cable connection and get all the same channels,
in stunning HD clarity, for one low price.

It's a miracle...... say Hallelujah.

clear tv key
I cut the cable, put up a $60 "over-the-air" antenna and I'm getting 50+ channels, 40-ish in HD. All the "network" channels plus the local Fox affiliate, all in HD and with two side-band stations each. PBS and one side-band in HD. Plus a butt-load of "nostalgia" channels that actually have pretty entertaining content, some in HD, some not. And a half dozen or so each shopping or religious channels (as if there's a difference). All free...... say Jalapeño.

Anything else I need, I get off the Internet for about 20% of what I had been paying for satellite.

But that AIN'T with the antenna (and I use the term loosely) that PJmax posted the link to. Mine's a legitimate, modern-designed (meticulously researched to meet my requirements) outdoor antenna.

My point -- if there is one -- is that the cable and dish TV companies have been gouging us for too long. Now we have opportunity to jerk the rug out from under them. So mock that "Clear TV Key" POS all you want, just be careful not to let it spill over onto my "Cut the Cable" movement. It's a righteous cause. And it works (to a point).

The cost of my change-over was subsidized because the house already had a TV antenna mast. And my ex-satellite company left about two miles of cable under the house, plus all the connectors and splitters I was going to need for over-the-air. It couldn't have been much less painless. You might already be prepped for the change-over, too.

I should probably start a D-I-Y thread for that, huh?

On the topic of gold, at least gold isn't an overpriced marketing scam. It has intrinsic value on par with its retail cost. Diamonds are and don't.

Gold is scarce. Diamonds are about as scarce as rosary beads in the Vatican.

Gold is only made by exploding stars. Except for a minute amount, all that's in the earth, and all that will ever be on earth, once was part of stars that died more than four billion years ago.

The earth makes its own diamonds, mostly from a mineral called Kimberlite. It's a slow process but they're still being made. There probably will be more diamonds being made for as long as the earth's crust continues to move about, which should be as long as there's any humans living on it.

Even though they're not particularly rare, the price of diamonds is hyper-inflated because 1) the mining companies hoard the majority of what they dig up to keep the supply artificially low, 2) they wholesale them through clearing houses which collude to keep prices elevated, and 3) retail markup is 100%, minimum. No self-respecting diamond merchant would ever include that markup in the buy-back value so diamonds lose at least half of their value when you walk out the door of the store.

So gold is fungible. Diamonds? Fuggedaboudit.

And I can tell if gold is real. Archimedes figured out the trick of it more than 2000 years ago. And there's simple assay tests to tell fake gold from gold alloys. But you can't tell a diamond from gravel until after it's cut. And even then you're trusting in the jeweler and/or the grading agency he's in cahoots with that it isn't a CZ or quartz or cut glass or a synthetic diamond.

And the whole reason the diamond engagement ring is embedded in our culture is because of a successful commercial advertising campaign paid for by the DeBeers diamond syndicate, who were looking to boost sales during The Great Depression. Just like Santa's red suit came from a Coca-Cola advertisement (the first ever color advertising campaign depicting Saint Nick).

So the reason you're a cheapskate if you don't spend at least three month's salary on a hyper-inflated, non-fungible, possibly fraudulent piece of rock dug out of the ground by virtual slave labor to give to your beloved when you ask her to marry you has nothing to do with any spontaneous "tradition." It's entirely because of a specialized, high-pressured ad campaign.

However, when you propose to rob from Peter to pay Paul, you'll usually find that Paul is in full favor of the plan, so you might not have any other choice. If there's no way out of buying her a diamond, ignore the traditional "Four Cs" of color, cut, clarity and carat. Focus instead on "The Two Ss," size and sparkle. Swear to her it's a real diamond, but be evasive about the details. And destroy the receipt. If she truly loves you, she'd never dream of taking the ring to a jeweler to have it valued. And if she doesn't, take consolation from the fact that you could have wasted a whole lots more on the rock.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for my medication ........ ...... .... ... .. . . . . .

Old 07-17-17, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
You forgot "chocolate diamonds" they use to be ground up for use on cutting bits because they were muddy colored diamonds not suitable for jewelry. Then the diamond moguls decided to hype what had been a negative as a positive.

Old 07-19-17, 07:29 PM
"You forgot "chocolate diamonds" they use to be ground up for use on cutting bits because they were muddy colored diamonds not suitable for jewelry. Then the diamond moguls decided to hype what had been a negative as a positive."
Industrial-grade diamonds account for about 80% of all that are mined. Right now a typical industrial-quality stone brings about $10 a carat. Gem quality is rarer, of course, but only about 4x as rare, so the supply-side numbers only account for a small fraction of the difference in price.

Search this Thread