So, botched the screw removal from yesterday. What are my options now?

Old 07-17-17, 11:51 AM
So, botched the screw removal from yesterday. What are my options now?

Pictures. So pissed off. I think it didnt help that I wasnt perfectly on center, but mostly it was that the fluted screw extractor was apparently larger than the damn hole. Can I do anything anymore or am I pretty SOL? Should I try to buy some new screws and just test it? You guys were amazingly helpful with your suggestions the other day so I figured I'd try again to see if I can save myself lol. Thanks for any advice! :eyecrazy:

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-17, 12:19 PM
That's one of several reasons I always consider my options before getting my extractors out, but understand that may have been or at least seemed like the best way to go. What are we looking at and what size threads are those?

Old 07-17-17, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I almost wish I'd have just taken it to a machine shop or something. Ah well, live and learn. It's a burr housing that you faster a burr to. It's aluminum I think. The screws are listed as: screw, Pan Head .25-20 x .50

Thanks for taking a look!

Old 07-17-17, 12:36 PM
I would clean up the threads with a tap and see what happens. If this isn't something that has to be taken apart a lot or that sees a lot of stress you might look at one of the Loctite products.

Can you go up a size to 5/16" ?

By the way - don't feel too bad. You aren't the 1st guy to botch a screw removal.

Old 07-17-17, 12:40 PM
Can you get a nut on the back side of it? Otherwise, only options I see are a larger bolt or a helicoil, but how much tolerance you have is going to dictate how difficult it is going to be to drill that hole out and keep the center where you want/need it to be. May need to fabricate a guide to keep the hole from wandering off on you.

Old 07-17-17, 12:43 PM
I dont think i can get a nut on the back of it but I will take it apart and check it out. I may be able to get a larger screw to fit, thats what I was thinking as well. I have never tapped a hole but like cwbuff said I think that will be my next step. It may actually work with the intended screw. I've never even heard of a helicoil but that sounds intriguing. I can probably buy a new used piece for $50 or so. New it's $210!

Old 07-17-17, 01:18 PM
Consider a Helicoil; they now offer hundreds of sizes . . . . metric and imperial:

https://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5546.../dp/B0002KKPXK

I've had great luck with Helicoil kits (especially 5/16 -18 threads); but buying everything (drill, tap, mandrel and coils for one hole can get pricey.

Still, if it's a common enough thread size, a local mechanic or lawnmower shop may have the tools already.

Then you don't have to go oversize, you just have new stainless steel threads of the same size.