A clue on glue

Old 08-02-17, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A clue on glue

I had to repair an arm on a dining room chair. I bolted it to the frame but wanted to reinforce it with some clear glue. The owner said that she had some Gorilla glue. It was clear when it came out of tube clear but turned white when it dried. That's not good for furniture. The woman told me that when she tried it on upholstery, it foamed. The moral of the story is, don't use Gorilla glue for furniture.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-17, 05:04 PM
I guess I dont fall for the one glue fits all occasions and have never used Gorilla glue.

For any wood application you should use a good carpenters wood glue.

I guess I also dont understand why the color would matter, you should use enough to fill the joint, wipe away the excess so nothing should be left over to see.

Old 08-02-17, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
I think something was wrong on several counts. It's not supposed to foam at all, so maybe she mis-remembered. And it's supposed to dry clear. I used some last year and it dried clear. (I need to see if mine is still good.) Bad/old bottle maybe?

But I wouldn't use it on inside furniture anyway. Good old yellow wood glue for me.

Old 08-02-17, 05:30 PM
I guess I also dont understand why the color would matter
You're not Italian. _____________________________

Old 08-02-17, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know when I have ever wanted or needed to use gorilla glue. What's it good for?

Old 08-02-17, 06:41 PM
The lady just happened to have it. Maybe the commercial tricked her. I don't know.

Old 08-02-17, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
I don't know when I have ever wanted or needed to use gorilla glue. What's it good for?
Well, it's super strong. Fills gaps well, waterproof, can be used on non-porous surfaces, works on brick, block, tile, metal, etc, I mean, it's a polyurethane, so just like they make latex caulk which works well for most things, sometimes poly or silicone will work better. That's the regular old Gorilla Glue...I dunno if the white and clear are exactly the same. I used the clear on some glass in an outside fixture when superglue wasn't cutting it. It's still in one piece at least and you can only see the break at just the right angle.

Old 08-02-17, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Gorilla glue needs moisture to activate and expands when drying.
As it expands it bubbles. It doesn't dry clear.
Whoops.

Old 08-02-17, 07:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I found out the hard way on some old chairs I did for myself. Yep, it bubbles as it activates and dries. I glued, misted, clamped and walking away. Was disappointed the next morning but as it was my own chairs, lived with it.

Old 08-02-17, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
Pete...that's the regular amber stuff. The clear is a different formula and doesn't foam and does dry clear.

Old 08-02-17, 08:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know when I have ever wanted or needed to use gorilla glue
I use regular wood glue for wood. For applying molding I use Titebond molding & trim glue, also called quick and thick.
The molding glue is less prone to dripping and has fast grab. Woodworkers should check this glue out, it works well.
There's also Titebond II dark wood glue that works well and has strong initial tack.

Old 08-03-17, 03:42 AM
I'm not a big fan of Gorilla glue for all the reasons stated above. If you're ever unsure of what to use there is a web site called THIS TO THAT.com. Everything you ever wanted and not wanted to know about glue and adhesives.

Old 08-03-17, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here is the web site to this to that'
This to That (Glue Advice)

Old 08-03-17, 05:40 AM
pugsl, That chart looks pretty good.