Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Community Meeting Center For Non Governmental & Non Political Forum Topics > General Chats and Discussions
Reload this Page >

Need ideas on creating a joint for a hose for makeshift shower to articulate on

Old 08-08-17, 04:10 AM

After I 'do the yard', before I go through the garage and house to the shower leaving me more house cleaning work I plan on creating a pvc stand on top such I'll place my hose with gun nozzle attached but I haven't figured out how I'll be able to articulate it and keeping it in position.

So far I've imagined using this thick gauge wire I have to wrap around a couple of ends attached to the pvc stand and nozzle holder but I'm wondering what other ideas you might have or if there is something cheap at the hardware store available. I couldn't find anything. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-17, 04:34 AM
Group Moderator
PVC is not very strong or rigid. So, if you are going to use it go to a larger size than you would think. The fittings can be opened up so allow them to slide and pivot more easily. A lathe is best to enlarge the inside diameter of fittings so they can pivot freely but you probably don't have that kind of machine tool. You can also do it by hand with a lot of sanding. The fittings have a slight taper inside so the pipe gets tighter the further you push it into the fitting. When sanding you need to concentrate your work deeper inside the fitting to try and make it all the same diameter.

Do you have a welder? Door hinges make good pivot points and can easily be welded to other items to make a articulating framework. A smaller size pipe inside a larger pipe can also form a pivot or hinge.

Old 08-09-17, 04:12 PM
Thanks. I didn't think to use PVC as a joint and it would be pretty tight by default too and I could have fit the hose through it. I also considered your door hinge suggestion but they're too loose. But I finished anyway and used wood from an idea popular on YouTube. Pretty simple really:

https://imgur.com/a/L9F2f

https://imgur.com/a/ZHRSa

(How to get these url's to display?)

I drilled a big enough hole through both pieces to fit one the hose and to fit over the 1/2" PVC, cut the one in half, attached a hinge to allow me to change the hose. The hinge is the combo of both pieces with a long wood screw through them is all. On YouTube lots of DIY's make wood articulating camera "boom" arms. Just screws and wood. So Fred Flintstone lol. Without the internet I'd be dead in the stone age.

Anyway, works great but you're right about PVC. Will need an upgrade but I'm planning on making it curtain-ready so I can get some privacy to really shower myself. Just realized out there in public you can only wash so deep lol even if you're wearing shorts.

Edit: and come to think of it, with a PVC joint you could make it adjustable and locking by simply drilling a hole through the joint and inserting a thumb screw or just a pin of some sort. Next time